Using Freesync on GSync Monitor

HotdropHeinz

Hello all,

this might be somewhat of a stupid question but I've heard quite a lot of conflicting things about this.

My situation:

My main monitor currently ist the Acer Predator Z35P 3440*1440 120Hz. I have an RTX 2080super and use the G-Sync feature of my monitor since I don't get 120fps all the time. So far so good.

In the next few weeks/months I plan to upgrade my whole system to Ryzen 5000 with either RTX3080 OR Radeon 6800XT depending on availability, performance and pricing.

Since my monitor has a dedicated G-Sync module I wonder if I could use this feature with one of the new Radeon cards. Is this at all possible?

The thing is that the AMD cards seem to be a bit cheaper than the equivalent Nvidia offerings.

If there is NO WAY to use the G-Sync feature with Radeon i might still buy an RTX 3080 even if it is a bit more expensive. If the price difference is going to be substantial, then I'm not so sure what to to.

Any tips/thoughts?

Thanks!

uni student // at war with Siemens software // wife haver

You can't unfortunately. 

It was said that new G-Sync monitors will get support for AMD cards but if you already own the monitor you're out of luck... anyways, I'm not aware of any G-Sync monitor that exists that actually works with an AMD card. 

I also have a G-Sync monitor so we're on the same boat unfortunately :(

11 minutes ago, WereCat said:

You can't unfortunately. 

It was said that new G-Sync monitors will get support for AMD cards but if you already own the monitor you're out of luck... anyways, I'm not aware of any G-Sync monitor that exists that actually works with an AMD card. 

I also have a G-Sync monitor so we're on the same boat unfortunately :(

Hm okay thank you.

Then I will have to see how pricing and availability turns out and if a possibly higher price is then still worth the G-Sync support.

uni student // at war with Siemens software // wife haver

Similar discussion in the GPU thread as well https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1262841-amd-on-g-sync/ just for intreset.

Same here regarding monitors, I'm on an Acer Pred x34p so if I want anti tear got to head down the nVidia route.

Looking at the stats from briefing I think we're going to win either way. The 6800xt and 3080 look evenly matched and I think the same will show in benchmarks once Linus and co get their hands on them.

I am also in the same boat, putting together a 5000 series PC. My 3080 is on backorder, and the 5800 XT looked like a good alternative. I also have a GSync monitor (an expensive one I bought over the summer, so I won't be replacing it anytime soon).

The performance boost for combining a 5000 series CPU with 6000 series GPU was interesting, but then I realized that the combo bonus is what's allowing the 6000 series to match with NVIDIA. If they're both going to perform the same, I might as well get the one that my monitor's variable refresh supports, which is NVIDIA's.

If not for already owning a Gsync monitor, I'd be preparing to switch to Radeon and looking for benchmarks & availability for the final decision. As it stands, I'm sticking with NVIDIA this round because of gsync.