First time building PC with a budget of $500. Looking for a good motherboard for preferably under $80.

Hello guys,

I'm new here and I'm gathering all the parts I need to build my first gaming PC. I'm not going to really game on it, but my siblings will be playing minecrafts, COD, and maybe few other popular games like fortnite. 

I'm on a budget of $500. So far I have the following parts and going to purchase a good motherboard that will support Ryzen 3 3100.

• Crucial Ballistix 16GB 3200Mhz RAM
  • ADATA 512GB SSD
  • 500W 80+ Bronze power supply.

I'm would prefer a motherboard that can output 4k video because i use a 4k TV as a monitor. 

I looked online and found couple of motherboard such as the ASROck B450 Pro4, MSI b450, asus b450, and gigbyte b450 all under $80. I don't know which one to choose and which will be plenty enough for future upgrade such more RAM and video card.

As far a graphic card goes buying new is not an option. I'm looking into getting a used RX 570 or something under $100. 

I recommend the MSI and Asrock boards, the MSI B450 Tomahawk Max and the Asrock B450 Pro4. The former is more expensive but has a greater feature set while the latter is cheaper but just as well built though it lacks features like adressable RGB, BIOS flashback and USB 3.2 Gen2. 

Main Desktop:

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-13700KF (5.5GHz, -0.1v Offset), Lian Li Galahad 360 AIO, MSI Z690 Force WiFi, ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 3070 OC, 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6000 CL36, 500GB WD Black SN850, 500GB WD Black SN750, 4TB Toshiba N300, Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular PSUPhanteks P500a Digital 

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Dell S3422DWG 34 inch 144Hz QHD Ultrawide Monitor, Logitech G815 Lightsync, Logitech G703 Lightspeed, Razer Basilisk X Hyperspeed, Sennheiser HD 560s, Cooler Master MH630

Laptops:

Spoiler

Razer Blade 14 (2021),  AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX, Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU, 2x8GB DDR4, 1TB Samsung PM991a

Phones:

Spoiler

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4 5G 256Gb Graygreen, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 128GB (Running Pixel Experience Android 13)

Just now, Idkwhat2putheresowhatever said:

the MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

Tomahawk Max is a good board, very good value for the money.

8 minutes ago, ataulfomango said:

I'm would prefer a motherboard that can output 4k video because i use a 4k TV as a monitor. 

you have to use the GPU for that, FYI other then GPUs with G in the end, most Ryzen CPUs don't come with a gpu. 

gigbyte b450, the MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

This should be good. 

As far a graphic card goes buying new is not an option. I'm looking into getting a used RX 570 or something under $100. 

Good but try to find somthing beefer, see if you can expand your budget a bit more. 

Ryzen 3 3100.

Get an used 2600 for around 100$. 

CPU- 100

Storage- cheap 120GB( can be cheap as 20$ on sale) ssd+ 1TB hdd  

Case- get a cheap case for 40$ 

PSU- don't cheap out on it 

Ram- 3200mhz

GPU- part out the whole system first and throw everything else at the GPU. 

r9 furys are around 120 to 150$

980 ti is around 150$ 

1660 super on sale is around 200$. 

20 minutes ago, Idkwhat2putheresowhatever said:

I recommend the MSI and Asrock boards, the MSI B450 Tomahawk Max and the Asrock B450 Pro4. The former is more expensive but has a greater feature set while the latter is cheaper but just as well built though it lacks features like adressable RGB, BIOS flashback and USB 3.2 Gen2. 

I found a Tomahawk MAX for 114.99 and a Asrock b550m pro4 for 104.99. Would the b550m pro4 be a better buy? I can stretch my budget a little and sacrifice on something else like case and storage. I read a reddit post saying the B550M is a better value compare to the Tomahawk, but I'm reading reviews and the b550m is not looking good. It's got so many issues.

47 minutes ago, The Sloth said:

you have to use the GPU for that, FYI other then GPUs with G in the end, most Ryzen CPUs don't come with a gpu. 

This should be good. 

Good but try to find somthing beefer, see if you can expand your budget a bit more. 

CPU- 100

Ram- 3200mhz

980 ti is around 150$ 

Considering the kind of games he wants to play  a 3100 might give the OP better fps.  Whether they would do him any good considering gpu restrictions is another question though. I do personally like the 2600 over the 3100 based on higher thread count though. The 980ti for $150 is interesting to me.  I didn’t think they were that cheap.  I have specific uses for a 9xx gpu. I’ve got an old dual link dviD monitor that always kind of wanted one.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, The Sloth said:

This should be good. 

CPU- 100

Ram- 3200mhz

980 ti is around 150$ 

Where can I find these for cheap? Ebay? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2020 at 12:46 AM, ataulfomango said:

Where can I find these for cheap? Ebay? 

yeah