Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming a good choice for me?

Hey guys.

 

I'm currently in the process of choosing and buying parts for my November build.

 

I'm going to use Ryzen 5 3600 which is already purchased. I also have a 650W PSU, it's tier S on our list.

 

I am not going to buy until November 27th Black Friday. I have a budget of around £90.

 

As in my question I want to know if Aorus X470 Ultra Gaming is a good choice for my processor. 

 

I love RGB and this board has lots of it.

 

What do you guys think. Are there any other boards that could compete?

Link to post
Share on other sites

No, it's not a good choice.

Plenty of other boards with lots of RGB, which will have same price or a bit more expensive, but they'll have compatibility with 5xxx series as well.

x470 is old chipset, and they tried to keep costs down by using cheap components on the cpu vrm - it can power a lightweight 3600 but would have problems powering much more powerful cpus,

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, mariushm said:

No, it's not a good choice.

Plenty of other boards with lots of RGB, which will have same price or a bit more expensive, but they'll have compatibility with 5xxx series as well.

x470 is old chipset, and they tried to keep costs down by using cheap components on the cpu vrm - it can power a lightweight 3600 but would have problems powering much more powerful cpus,

Interesting, what would you suggest as an alternative considering my budget.

 

And even if the VRMs aren't the best, is it a good choice for its price buying used? Its about £85.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a good choice. I had a one and it suddenly stopped working with my 5700XT, got it RMA-d and got my money back. The board felt great at first, but it has issues.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 191x7 said:

Not a good choice. I had a one and it suddenly stopped working with my 5700XT, got it RMA-d and got my money back. The board felt great at first, but it has issues.

Hmm, did you buy new?

 

I haven't found as many other boards in my budget with the RGB.

 

Is this board really that bad that I shouldn't buy?

Link to post
Share on other sites

seems like an average x470 board to me, at 85 bucks id consider it myself assuming its in good condition. ram speeds may not go above 3200mhz comfortably but it should support any 8 core ryzen if you upgrade in the future, and should get a beta bios in the future for zen 3 (sometime next year)

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

 

 

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, CloudPC said:

Hmm, did you buy new?

 

I haven't found as many other boards in my budget with the RGB.

 

Is this board really that bad that I shouldn't buy?

Yeah, I did buy it new. Now I'm on a MSI B450 Tomahawk that I bought as a replacement since the RMA took a few months (that was during the last Covid spring/sumer spike), and since the RMA allowed for a new board and I didn't want Gigabyte I got an Asus X570-P that I'm still waiting to install (working in healthcare doesn't really give me enough time to upgrade the PC with the parts I have laying arround).

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, CloudPC said:

Is this board really that bad that I shouldn't buy?

Yes, it's really that bad. Gigabyte is using their "hybrid PWM" VRM design, which is essentially an analog voltage controller. This means very unreliable voltages and no fixed voltage settings, so any kind of overclocking is pretty iffy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Grabhanem said:

Yes, it's really that bad. Gigabyte is using their "hybrid PWM" VRM design, which is essentially an analog voltage controller. This means very unreliable voltages and no fixed voltage settings, so any kind of overclocking is pretty iffy.

But if I don't want to OC?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, CloudPC said:

But if I don't want to OC?

It's still not a great choice. It'll have thermal struggles with most chips, and the voltages will be all over the place.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×