Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Slow Write Speeds

AOforever1

That's a Feb update isnt it?

My 970 plus is 85% full and still writes at 3300MB/s

The 980 is rubbish 1100MB/s.

I unplugged it and it jumped to 2300 for a few hours, weird

Ive got the 250gb variant and still no sign of the new firmware. 208gb total with over provisioning active and 133gb of free space....

image.png.fcbe2ce342449baad95f572b55e0bce8.png

My speeds have gotten worse as well....

image.png.be346aa5eaaba403576d083070996970.png

My 2TB variant wont write faster than 500MB/s on Arch Linux with kernel 5.11... Bought it to plot Chia super fast, but now its completely useless.

One thing I did do to get the firmware update to appear was download the Samsung NVMe Express Driver and run Repair with it and after a reboot, the update notification appeared inside Magician. Ran benchmark again just now and still get 7000/5000 MB/s read/write.

got the new firmware update without doing anything, downloaded it, and it seems like my 500 gig 980 Pro is back to normal. we'll see how long this lasts...

P1bjLhN.png

15 hours ago, warlikedave said:

Ive got the 250gb variant and still no sign of the new firmware. 208gb total with over provisioning active and 133gb of free space....

image.png.fcbe2ce342449baad95f572b55e0bce8.png

My speeds have gotten worse as well....

image.png.be346aa5eaaba403576d083070996970.png

Check and make sure TRIM has been run on the drive. For some reason the auto scheduling of TRIM by Windows 10 never seems to work on my system. I always end up having to regularly check it and do it manually. 

13 hours ago, Banditt1976 said:

Check and make sure TRIM has been run on the drive. For some reason the auto scheduling of TRIM by Windows 10 never seems to work on my system. I always end up having to regularly check it and do it manually. 

Thank You! Will give it a try 😁

970 evo plus user here with Exactly same issue of slc write cache getting used up and not recovering or working...basically 900mbs tlc write speeds...A friend with 3 of these has same issue also... doesnt show in new benchmarks in reviews but WILL for sure happen in longer term use. 980 and 970 evo plus users Both need the firmware update... talked with samsung about it and they were unaware that it also affected the 970 series... WTF?

Where can i download the firmware without Samsung Magician? New version is not listed on their website...

Hey guys! 

As i said before, i'm expriencing slow write issues on 980 Pro 500Gb.

As i can see, u have an update of the firmware and everything back to normal, good to know.

No update for me from The Samsung Magician software, and on the support Samsung website. Still waiting.

One thing I did do to get the firmware update to appear was download the Samsung NVMe Express Driver and run Repair with it and after a reboot, the update notification appeared inside Magician. Ran benchmark again just now and still get 7000/5000 MB/s read/write.

I tried to download the NVMe Express Driver, but it's incompatible with 980 Pro, so he keep asking me to connect the NVMe drive :old-sad:

Will wait a bit...

Good night guys!

Since February when I bought it I had the problem, as you can see in the tests.

Apparently the new firmware promised for the end of April to solve the problem, it really worked! Finally a good job from Samsung.
For more details:
1. Power Mode: Off
2. Over Provisioning: Off
3. TRIM: ON - and i do manually 1 time month maybe as i can remember that 
PCI Express 3.0 manually because of rise extensor of my graphic card.
X570 Aorus Elite + R7 3700x

2.PNG.e0f9622a8b4659516e7257d8538470b4.PNG

1.PNG.fe496be1f9d045b1b7d5f8103b0a2907.PNG

3.png.072f554017e07562afb51752c18f5c53.png

I finally get the update.

Need to Open/Close Magician multiple times to get the Update on it.

Last Magician Software update on middle of march, implemented the "Full Power Mode" function, and i left enabled it (Which makes my 980 Pro hotter, without performance gain)
But the firmware update won't works with it, every time i get an error on updating firmware.
I disabled the Full Power Mode function, restart, and after a reboot, i finally get the update working.

Now i'm on the 3B2QGXA7 Firmware and my Speed is finally correct, hope, it will stay like that!

image.png.5352e8a651d39600ff2697958f7783f3.png

One of the early users to post about this issue, I'm happy to see others 980's fixed with the new firmware. Unfortunately for me, the new firmware did not fix my write issue and I don't want to do a secure erase to test. Any other users that have the new firmware and did not fix the issue?

4 hours ago, JuJuYuJu said:

One of the early users to post about this issue, I'm happy to see others 980's fixed with the new firmware. Unfortunately for me, the new firmware did not fix my write issue and I don't want to do a secure erase to test. Any other users that have the new firmware and did not fix the issue?

I still have that issue with the newest firmware 3B2QGXA7. My write speed is half of the speed that is advertised.
I'm using an MSI Meg Unify x570 motherboard and the SSD is in slot 1, under the CPU and above the graphics card PCIe v4.

To fellow Linux users

Initially the new firmware did not fix the issue for me. After a few days of rage I can conclude that Linux users should NOT use TRIM on the device. After I disabled fstrim service and did a reset of disk with samsung ssd dc toolkit it now performs almost as advertised. Now lets see what happens when the disk starts filling up.. 🙈🙉🙊

Update
Disk still goes to shit after a few days.

• 3 weeks later...

735243445_980ProSpeed.png.0b743a6e3cd4ec850d6e0e9b83b54e28.png

Yes, this is following a Trim...Multiple Trims. No matter what I tried, I keep getting a write speed between 580-590. Feels capped

Machine specs:

2TB 980 Pro (Less than 25% full)

Asus X570-I Mobo (Tested with both firmware 3801 (Latest Beta) and 3001)

5950x

Latest Windows 10 Updates (20H2)

Unfortunately, I didn't do a benchmark prior to upgrading my 980 pro's firmware from 2B to 3B (Latest).

Things I've tried...

Trimming

Samsung Nvme Driver, now back to default windows NVME driver

Clearing CMOS (Optimized settings within bios)

Upgrading Bios to Latest (default + custom settings)

Booting/Testing in safe mode

I likely tried other things, but can't remember...

What worked:

Secure erase using partedmagic and reinstalled Windows 10. Lets see how long it lasts...149750218_980ProNow.png.fd2ef84efe97bbfe55f3e2678293a1ae.png

I spent too many hours frustrated troubleshooting this issue. Fortunately this machine isn't used for much besides gaming, so while a re-image is always painful...this wasn't too bad.

Edited by WhyAreYouLikeThis

• 1 month later...

Yeah i swapped my 980 pro to the pcie 3.0 slot and got a WD sn850 for my pcie 4.0 slot - havent looked back since. Was really disappointed with Samsung on this one. 

image.png

• 1 month later...

Quick Update: Drive performance has been consistent since doing the firmware update followed by a secure erase via partedmagic. This drive runs my OS and houses all my games. Drive is at about 25% full.
980Pro2TB.png.8b06d0943fdbed8c7eb5f393f4cf141a.png

• 3 months later...
On 8/13/2021 at 2:20 PM, WhyAreYouLikeThis said:

Quick Update: Drive performance has been consistent since doing the firmware update followed by a secure erase via partedmagic. This drive runs my OS and houses all my games. Drive is at about 25% full.
980Pro2TB.png.8b06d0943fdbed8c7eb5f393f4cf141a.png

Hey, I'm trying to decide between this and the SN850, is your 980 Pro still performing well? Thanks 🙂

I'm running an AMD Ryzen 7 5800X with an ASRock X570 Taichi. The SSD is a Samsung 1TB 980 Pro (C parition at 837GB due to over provisioning) at 2/3rds capacity.

Reads are good. Writes probably capped at 2GB/s due to the lack of parallelism in NAND flash available as most of the drive is already full of data.

Capture.JPG.2983d08d1795f4b4a96b43f911879c5e.JPG

1 hour ago, StDragon said:

I'm running an AMD Ryzen 7 5800X with an ASRock X570 Taichi. The SSD is a Samsung 1TB 980 Pro (C parition at 837GB due to over provisioning) at 2/3rds capacity.

Reads are good. Writes probably capped at 2GB/s due to the lack of parallelism in NAND flash available as most of the drive is already full of data.

Capture.JPG.2983d08d1795f4b4a96b43f911879c5e.JPG

Have you done the firmware update?

15 minutes ago, hammy434 said:

Have you done the firmware update?

Yes, that was done months ago. It's currently on rev 3B2QGXA7

Just checked my 980 Pro 2TB. According to Samsung's software, it is just over 700GB full out of 1.8TB, with 7TB lifetime writes. I only had one historic result which I must have run after I got it and installed it. Sequentials were unchanged at around 7GB/s read and 5GB/s writes. IOPS were much higher now, reads like 2.5x, writes more like 1.2x. No idea. There was a firmware update at some point, or some other software change since then.

System is in daily use. It is my "TV gaming" system. Disk usage will be the usual routine stuff, OS updates, game installs and updates, and video recording. Windows TRIM was last run 21 days ago.

The only problem I have with the drive is that it was around 30% cheaper in Black Friday sales than when I bought it 😄 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, StDragon said:

Yes, that was done months ago. It's currently on rev 3B2QGXA7

Thanks for the info. You might have to secure erase and sanitise the drive to get performance back.

1 hour ago, porina said:

Just checked my 980 Pro 2TB. According to Samsung's software, it is just over 700GB full out of 1.8TB, with 7TB lifetime writes. I only had one historic result which I must have run after I got it and installed it. Sequentials were unchanged at around 7GB/s read and 5GB/s writes. IOPS were much higher now, reads like 2.5x, writes more like 1.2x. No idea. There was a firmware update at some point, or some other software change since then.

System is in daily use. It is my "TV gaming" system. Disk usage will be the usual routine stuff, OS updates, game installs and updates, and video recording. Windows TRIM was last run 21 days ago.

The only problem I have with the drive is that it was around 30% cheaper in Black Friday sales than when I bought it 😄 

Nice! Thanks for all the info. And yeah it's really good value on black friday 😄

56 minutes ago, hammy434 said:

Thanks for the info. You might have to secure erase and sanitise the drive to get performance back.

Nice! Thanks for all the info. And yeah it's really good value on black friday 😄

I'm honestly not worried about it. What matters is the read speeds, and those are exceptional. If I really had a need for double the write throughput, I would have already purchased another NVMe drive specific for tasks that required that kind of write-back performance.