Case for HomeServer

dasbene

Hello,

for quite some time i am looking for a new case i can use for my home server. Besides some other drives i own two Seagate IronWolf 8TB drives that in cannon correctly mount in my current case because they dont have all screwholes on the sides and moved some on the bottom. Most cases are using the middle screwhole and are not usable for these drives. Currently i have 5x 3,5" HDDs but i plan to add some more in the feature so 8+ slots would be great.

My problem with finding a new case is that these details are not listed and pictures of the hdd mounts are rare or you cannot see what mounting is used.

Does anyone of you have any suggestion what case to buy? My budget would be around 100€ (here in germany) but i am willing to pay more if the case quality is really good.

Greetings

dasbene

7 minutes ago, dasbene said:

Currently i have 5x 3,5" HDDs but i plan to add some more in the feature so 8+ slots would be great.

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/products/case/#J=6,20&X=0,18766&t=4,3

You can get an Older Define R5 for 100 euro's, or get the R6 or 7 and get additional hard drive bays for up to 11 HDD's total. These mounts allow for both sets of underside mounting shown in the link above. (Define R6 will be Type A sleds, Define 7 will be Type B)

image.png.a36db1049f51e50ea3e85ad414b7a79b.png

The Enthoo Pro 2 also has up to 12 HDD bay areas, but it's huge and only comes with 4 out of the box. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

@dasbene

There is this silverstone case with hot swap cages ( if you want that) but it’s a little expensive ( 150€ )

https://geizhals.de/silverstone-case-storage-cs380-v2-schwarz-sst-cs380b-v2-a2181733.html?hloc=de&hloc=at&v=e

4 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

You can get an Older Define R5 for 100 euro's

https://geizhals.de/fractal-design-define-r5-black-fd-ca-def-r5-bk-a1200732.html?hloc=de&hloc=at&v=e

The cheapest 8 bay case I could find:

https://geizhals.de/nzxt-source-210-elite-weiss-s210e-002-a649265.html?hloc=de&hloc=at&v=e#specs

Edited by Drama Lama

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

@TVwazhere I took a look at the R6 and it seems to be a decent choice with its 11 HDD slots. Case + 5x Trays + mounting srews and dampers + Shipping are about 160€. Thats a bit more than i want it to be but better than not using my more expensive drives.

@Drama Lama The CS380 looks really good but i am note sure about the used mounting holes in the HDD cages. The hot swap would be cool but i guess i dont need to change a drive too often. I found it for only 132€ but considering the 11 solts of the R6 its not as future proof for me.