Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

LINUX ASUS USB-AC56 wireless AC1300 cannot install driver.

Go to solution Solved by Nayr438,

Based on a search that's a RTL8812AU

 

Try

git clone https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8812au.git
cd rtl8812au
sudo make dkms_install
reboot

 

https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8812au

 

I would also recommend a semi recent kernel, if your limited to 4.x then you may have issues building any recent drivers.

5.9.1 is the latest stable and 5.4 LTS is the oldest I would run, however I am not sure whats available for Mint.

Note: Kernel 5.9+ will break NVIDIA Drivers if you have a NVIDIA Card, https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/nvidia-driver-not-yet-supported-for-linux-kernel-5-9/157263.

Hey, so I just got the ASUS USB wifi adapter for my desktop. I tested it on Windows 10 64 bitto make sure it works.

 

I have a laptop with Linux Mint 19 with a Linux Kernel V 4.15 or v 4.17.

The ASUS drivers are latest release max support of 4.3.

 

When I try to install the driver

Spoiler

Navigate to folder.


chmod +x install.sh

then run


./install.sh

 

it does some work & says "root password authentication."

When I try to type in my sudo password, it says the password was incorrect.

[EDIT]

I got the root password, but the driver doesn't compile so I may need to debug the driver myself?

[/EDIT]

 

1. How do I install the Driver?

2. Is the driver built into the kernel & I don't need anything or do I need to install the driver to get it working?

I heard that all hardware that is ever supported is in every Linux Kernal from the moment it's integrated & never removed.

Don’t take any of my posts seriously. 

 

LTT Fan Fiction:

 

PC game list: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, fpo said:

When I try to type in my sudo password, it says the password was incorrect.

That's odd, try to sinatll something else, like "sudo apt install psensor" and see what happens. 

psensor is a temp monitoring program BTW

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

That's odd, try to sinatll something else, like "sudo apt install psensor" and see what happens. 

psensor is a temp monitoring program BTW

I don't have access to the internet with my desktop, which I recently tried. However, I did resolve the root password problem. On my desktop using the USB stick, I did sudo pword or something & changed the password & it let me install.

 

When I tried running the install program on my desktop using the CD that came with the device I had some problems. (Website was last updated mid 20-teens. My device was manufactured 2020.)

 

Turns out they just dumped the source code onto the CD & there's a number of syntax errors. I haven't tried the newest online version of the driver yet. (I have 2014 driver, website has 2015 driver.)

 

I will try altering the source code later (you have to like make changes & then compress I think because the shell must extract & then try to compile the code.)

Is there any other suggestions you may have aside from me debugging the driver? haha

Don’t take any of my posts seriously. 

 

LTT Fan Fiction:

 

PC game list: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, fpo said:

Is there any other suggestions you may have aside from me debugging the driver? haha

Yeah, don't use USB wifi for Linux. I've been down that road. Frustrating is the word of the day. 

I haven't built a driver from source in years, and I"m sure there are solid tutorials out there, much better than I could give you.

If I'm not mistaken @Eigenvektor is pretty smart about this stuff, much better than me. Perhaps he can offer insight.

 

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Yeah, don't use USB wifi for Linux. I've been down that road. Frustrating is the word of the day. 

I haven't built a driver from source in years, and I"m sure there are solid tutorials out there, much better than I could give you.

If I'm not mistaken @Eigenvektor is pretty smart about this stuff, much better than me. Perhaps he can offer insight.

 

They had a PCI or PCIE wifi card, but the guy was like "no, just use the USB one."

 

Are the PCI or PCIE cards better or? My laptop was linux certified & whatever internal wifi adapter it came with just worked.

Spoiler

Lenovo Y40-70

image.png.48a6b726bc564aedecb440cedce8c2b4.png

 

Don’t take any of my posts seriously. 

 

LTT Fan Fiction:

 

PC game list: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fpo said:

whatever internal wifi adapter it came with just worked.

Wait, you have a working wifi already and you tried to go with another one?

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Wait, you have a working wifi already and you tried to go with another one?

My laptop has one.

I need one for my desktop.

I tried testing it on my laptop.

Don’t take any of my posts seriously. 

 

LTT Fan Fiction:

 

PC game list: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fpo said:

My laptop has one.

I need one for my desktop.

I tried testing it on my laptop.

Ah. I assume your desktop is also Linux?

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Ah. I assume your desktop is also Linux?

Right now it's running windows 10. I cannot migrate till I finish my current classes, but I have Mint 20 XFCE on a flash drive that I was using.

Don’t take any of my posts seriously. 

 

LTT Fan Fiction:

 

PC game list: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fpo said:

Right now it's running windows 10. I cannot migrate till I finish my current classes, but I have Mint 20 XFCE on a flash drive that I was using.

I gotcha. You will have much more success (and less stress, and overall better results) going for a PCI/PCIe Linux compatible wireless card. The state of USB wifi cards in Linux is pretty bad, like the old WinModems of old.

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I gotcha. You will have much more success (and less stress, and overall better results) going for a PCI/PCIe Linux compatible wireless card. The state of USB wifi cards in Linux is pretty bad, like the old WinModems of old.

I've been unsuccessful in finding recommendation even on this forum for any wireless components compatible with Linux. I believe I've made 2 or 3 threads asking about it.

Most word on it is "Just get Ethernet." or "I have this card I bought in 2011."

 

EDIT:
Now I have this card & micro center is like 45 minutes away to refund this. So I'd like to try and get this working if I can, unless there is some holy grail company that actually supports linux.

Don’t take any of my posts seriously. 

 

LTT Fan Fiction:

 

PC game list: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fpo said:

I've been unsuccessful in finding recommendation even on this forum for any wireless components compatible with Linux. I believe I've made 2 or 3 threads asking about it.

Most word on it is "Just get Ethernet." or "I have this card I bought in 2011."

 

 

I'm sorry, I've missed those posts, let me find the one(s) I have used successfully under Linux.

for the record, virtually any Intel-based chipset will work as they are well supported under Linux.

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, fpo said:

I've been unsuccessful in finding recommendation even on this forum for any wireless components compatible with Linux. I believe I've made 2 or 3 threads asking about it.

Most word on it is "Just get Ethernet." or "I have this card I bought in 2011."

 

 

Also the Atheros AR938x work nice

https://wiki.debian.org/ath9k

 

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Radium_Angel said:

I'm sorry, I've missed those posts, let me find the one(s) I have used successfully under Linux.

for the record, virtually any Intel-based chipset will work as they are well supported under Linux.

Don't be sorry.

There's literally no information on the subject. From what I've only recently found also is that Linux drivers aren't compatible natively across kernels. I've seen videos explain that drivers are just in the kernel & if it supports linux, the driver is in the kernel & you'll be fine with plug & play.

Don’t take any of my posts seriously. 

 

LTT Fan Fiction:

 

PC game list: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Also the Atheros AR938x work nice

https://wiki.debian.org/ath9k

 

Someone had mentioned Atheros is automatically compatible but none of the boxes on any adapters say what chip is in it. The only way to know is to know or plug it into your computer and type in some command.

 

How do drivers even work on Linux? Is there a guide on writing Linux drivers so I can make sure my device works or?

Don’t take any of my posts seriously. 

 

LTT Fan Fiction:

 

PC game list: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, fpo said:

How do drivers even work on Linux? Is there a guide on writing Linux drivers so I can make sure my device works or?

Yeah it's a minefield. The drivers are native (or written-in) to the kernel. If the driver is there, you are golden (it just works!) and if not...you are in for a world of pain.

Your best bet is find a product, and then google "product Linux Mint (or Ubuntu, or whathaveyou)" and see what others have found out, before you spend your money

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on a search that's a RTL8812AU

 

Try

git clone https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8812au.git
cd rtl8812au
sudo make dkms_install
reboot

 

https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8812au

 

I would also recommend a semi recent kernel, if your limited to 4.x then you may have issues building any recent drivers.

5.9.1 is the latest stable and 5.4 LTS is the oldest I would run, however I am not sure whats available for Mint.

Note: Kernel 5.9+ will break NVIDIA Drivers if you have a NVIDIA Card, https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/nvidia-driver-not-yet-supported-for-linux-kernel-5-9/157263.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

Based on a search that's a RTL8812AU

 

Try


git clone https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8812au.git
cd rtl8812au
sudo make dkms_install
reboot

 

https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8812au

 

I would also recommend a semi recent kernel, if your limited to 4.x then you may have issues building any recent drivers.

5.9.1 is the latest stable and 5.4 LTS is the oldest I would run, however I am not sure whats available for Mint.

Note: Kernel 5.9+ will break NVIDIA Drivers if you have a NVIDIA Card, https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/nvidia-driver-not-yet-supported-for-linux-kernel-5-9/157263.

From the desktop I couldn't install the drivers for...

 

How do you know what source code I needed? I looked all over the webpage and box and manual for the number "rtl8812au" or a portion of it.

 

I downloaded the files on my laptop, copied to flashdrive, extracted to my desktop & ran those commands from the location of the extraction.

 

Thank you and @Radium_Angelvery much for the assistance.

Don’t take any of my posts seriously. 

 

LTT Fan Fiction:

 

PC game list: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, fpo said:

How do you know what source code I needed? I looked all over the webpage and box and manual for the number "rtl8812au" or a portion of it.

If you download the driver at https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/USBAC56/HelpDesk_Download/

The contents are for RTL8812AU_linux_v4.2.5 which was last updated in 2014, so outdated.

Arch AUR Search for "RTL8812AU" brings me to https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&K=rtl8812au which has a few options, all up to date ones recommending the use of aircrack-ng in the comments by the maintainer.

Brings me to https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/rtl88xxau-aircrack-dkms-git/ which pulls from https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8812au

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×