Can you build a sleeper PC with almost NO cooling?

18 hours ago, Luscious said:

Long gone are the days of passive CPU cooling

I don't agree in the sense that it wouldn't be impossible to create a fanless and waterless cooling solution, just very much harder. With a heat pipe or vapor chamber setup, you could create one massive enough to transfer away heat to a very large sink with a lot of surface area for dissipation. In fact, I'd love to see Linus attempt exactly that - make a completely fanless and waterless PC using normal components, not laptop or ITX embedded stuff.

22 hours ago, Spotty said:

Check out part 1 of the pyramid PC.聽

I already watched that one.

(janky)聽馃

I probably shouldn't have said that but it did look like two sloppy teenagers had made it.聽聽馃槃

No offense intended.

To be fair though it was an unusual project.

It is聽just my impression that men who know how to use machine shop equipment can聽usually fabricate stuff way better.

Maybe Linus should consider hiring聽someone who lives up there in Canada who is good with his hands in that way.

I'll bet the projects would look tight and super cool then.

馃榿

13 minutes ago, Intergalacticbits said:

I already watched that one.

(janky)聽馃

I probably shouldn't have said that but it did look like two sloppy teenagers had made it.聽聽

I'm not going to tell Alex you said that...

It's not finished yet. Stay tuned for part 2. Though there is more jankyness in part 2... 馃

CPU: Intel i7 6700k聽 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 minutes ago, Spotty said:

It's not finished yet. Stay tuned for part 2. Though there is more jankyness in part 2... 馃

Lol.

Im sure he was implying 'experience' ..rather than 'know how'. Alex is relatively young in that regard, im sure he has the theory, but he doesnt have like 20 years experience in machining :P

Doing a good job none the less. cant expect any more, if LTT lasts another 10 years and Alex stays with them, im sure we'll see better stuff in the years to come.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro聽 | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X聽- Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

11 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Thanks lol.

I enjoy LTT and build videos so I will definitely watch it.

馃榿

3 hours ago, Euchre said:

I don't agree in the sense that it wouldn't be impossible to create a fanless and waterless cooling solution, just very much harder. With a heat pipe or vapor chamber setup, you could create one massive enough to transfer away heat to a very large sink with a lot of surface area for dissipation. In fact, I'd love to see Linus attempt exactly that - make a completely fanless and waterless PC using normal components, not laptop or ITX embedded stuff.

If memory serves me right it was already done and that thing was massive. IMO it is much better to use the most power efficient components, downvolt and then allow them to turbo up to certain radiator temp.

edit:

6 hours ago, Euchre said:

That's been tried before. The size of the heatsink would need to be MASSIVE to account for the surface area needed to transfer that much heat passively and not involve any airflow. Even for a system with just a single CPU/GPU it would be unrealistic and impractical. Keep in mind as well that vapor chambers have a limit to how large/long they can be before they too become inefficient.

On 10/24/2020 at 1:36 PM, SolarNova said:

Hold up.

Did u really put 5100mhz RAM on a Ryzen system ?

cont....

Yep, we did. We were limited to 4666mhz by the 3900X, we actually could have used a 3600X and gotten much better results on that overclock due to the actual physical location of the CCX dies on the chip, but this is a sleeper after all, so more cores and more thermals to deal with seemed like the right move. We did NOT give this system the best chance at working but in the end, it did pretty well.聽

On 10/25/2020 at 3:12 AM, idb said:

Not a great job in this video, no graphs, couldn't recognise an ISA socket,聽plenty of mistakes and ... (cont)聽

Sorry I cant recognize a socket from a standard that was made literally a decade before I was born?聽https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industry_Standard_Architecture