vulkan on raspberry pi?

mahyar

Summary

so basically there are great news on vulkan for raspberry pi and its expected for vulkan driver will be on raspberry pi repository soon

Quotes

Four months ago we announced that work on the Vulkan effort for Raspberry Pi 4 (v3dv) was progressing well, and that we were moving the development to an open repository.

This week, the Vulkan driver for Raspberry Pi 4 has been merged with Mesa upstream, becoming one of the official Vulkan Mesa drivers

My thoughts

this is great for emulation as most of you know valkan performs much better than OPENGL with pi uses and from what i've heard they got double the framerate on quake 

future for  RPI gamer is bright  

Sources

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/vulkan-update-merged-to-mesa/

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

16 hours ago, mahyar said:

Summary

so basically there are great news on vulkan for raspberry pi and its expected for vulkan driver will be on raspberry pi repository soon

Quotes

My thoughts

this is great for emulation as most of you know valkan performs much better than OPENGL with pi uses and from what i've heard they got double the framerate on quake 

future for  RPI gamer is bright  

Sources

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/vulkan-update-merged-to-mesa/

Vulkan just moves the memory management and threading portion of the driver to the application. It's not a silver bullet to increase performance.

It's also not going to turn the RPi into a game machine, the performance of the Pi, assuming you compiled a game natively for it, would just be repeating the failure of the Ouya.

4 hours ago, Kisai said:

Vulkan just moves the memory management and threading portion of the driver to the application. It's not a silver bullet to increase performance.

It's also not going to turn the RPi into a game machine, the performance of the Pi, assuming you compiled a game natively for it, would just be repeating the failure of the Ouya.

by gaming i meant retro gamers because vulkan is generally better performing then openGL  so we can expect  better framerates and maybe even heavier emulator like ps2

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

19 hours ago, mahyar said:

by gaming i meant retro gamers because vulkan is generally better performing then openGL  so we can expect  better framerates and maybe even heavier emulator like ps2

It still almost certainly won't help. At the end of the day, the raspberry pi is a SLOW computer. Apparently the latest Pi 4 is slightly slower than the 2016 Intel Compute stick, meaning it probably has a PassMark score of about 800. My laptop from 2009 was faster than that. (I know passmark isn't the best benchmark. Sue me.) If the machine doesn't have the extra performance to give, Vulkan isn't going to unlock it.

But also, most emulators just aren't slowed down by your graphics engine. Emulating the inner workings of a console is much harder than rendering the image to your display and is generally the bottleneck of the whole process - at least for retro consoles. (Something more modern like a Wii U may well be different.) In the case of the PS2, you've got multiple chips each with their own clock speed which you need to sync up, which massively increases the complexity of your emulator. The PS2 is less powerful than a GameCube, but the GameCube is far easier to emulate as it's relatively simple under the hood.

Whilst cool, a new graphics api like this isn't going to help your emulators run faster, at least not the kinds of ones that are ever likely to be running on a raspberry pi.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

21 hours ago, mahyar said:

RPCS2 sounds like a huge stretch on a PI, it's not even very good on my Haswell Xeon.