How to do dual booting

Ataxion

So I need Windows apps to work on my linux laptop so I need dual booting I tried Wine and the apps I wanted to use didn't work and I don't want to use a virtual machine so how do I dual booting I think I need to make a partition if so how do I make partitions and this computer has had windows before so I have a windows license in this laptops motherboard

Some guy interested in tech

id try a virtual machine, it should be much simpler

normally shrink the partition(depends on how the partitions are layed out), then install windows in the exra space

normally i fin it easer if windows is installed first.

make backups too.

25 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

id try a virtual machine, it should be much simpler

normally shrink the partition(depends on how the partitions are layed out), then install windows in the exra space

normally i fin it easer if windows is installed first.

make backups too.

I dont have any partitions so how would I make partitions and if virtual machine is better how do I do that

12 minutes ago, Ataxion said:

I dont have any partitions so how would I make partitions and if virtual machine is better how do I do that

For a virtual machine, id install and use virtual box. you can install windows in there.

You have partitions, you need it for the install to work. Do you know your partition layout. Can you show the disk layout?

What Windows apps do you need? It's possible they require some extra tinkering to work with Wine.

I agree that a VM is the best option here.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

18 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

What Windows apps do you need? It's possible they require some extra tinkering to work with Wine.

I agree that a VM is the best option here.

I need Geforce Now and I know I con use this on a web browser but I prefer having an app and dex for pc for both of these it starts the install but then it say install cant be finished

3 minutes ago, Ataxion said:

I need Geforce Now and I know I con use this on a web browser but I prefer having an app and dex for pc for both of these it starts the install but then it say install cant be finished

Gefornce Now works on Lutris and, assuming you mean Samsung DeX, that works too.

https://lutris.net/games/geforce-now/

https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-access-samsung-dex-mode-linux-chrome-os/

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

10 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Gefornce Now works on Lutris and, assuming you mean Samsung DeX, that works too.

https://lutris.net/games/geforce-now/

https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-access-samsung-dex-mode-linux-chrome-os/

geforce now says it doesn't work with intel cpus and the dex one needs specialized hardware which I dont want to pay money for