New Gaming Laptop Or Custom EGPU in old Laptop

Ataxion

So right now I have 2 laptops one has a core i5-8250u which I use for school, web browsing, and very light gaming. My other laptop has a core i3-6100u and this is the laptop I would tdo the custom eGPU on. So should I make a custom eGPU for the second laptop or buy a new gaming laptop during black friday. the egpu would cost around $160 without black friday sales while the new gaming laptop would cost around $800 without black friday deals and I think will cost $500 during black friday.

Some guy interested in tech

I doubt either or those laptops have thunderbolt 3 for an eGPU, so you'll likely need a new machine.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

4 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

I doubt either or those laptops have thunderbolt 3 for an eGPU, so you'll likely need a new machine.

I said custom egpu which basically means taking out the wifi card and connecting the gpu to the wifi card slot

From an experience from a few acquaintances, egpu tends to be either 

A. Super unstable

B. Is atleast 20-40% weaker than when used in another pc.

C. Compatibility is super dodgy

D. Will make you cost near the price of a new laptop.(gpu+dock is pretty expensive)

On the off chance it works, its jot that great. Especially if its running off express card or the x4 or x1 pcie.

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

Just now, MartinKweh said:

From an experience from a few acquaintances, egpu tends to be either 

A. Super unstable

B. Is atleast 20-40% weaker than when used in another pc.

C. Compatibility is super dodgy

D. Will make you cost near the price of a new laptop.(gpu+dock is pretty expensive)

On the off chance it works, its jot that great. Especially if its running off express card or the x4 or x1 pcie.

its not that epensive if you do mini pcie around $160 as I stated

54 minutes ago, Ataxion said:

I said custom egpu which basically means taking out the wifi card and connecting the gpu to the wifi card slot

That's... almost definitely not going to work well, if at all. That M2 slot for your network card probably only has 1 lane, maybe 2 if you're lucky. Performance would be awful and your laptop's motherboard very well could just reject it entirely because the hardware ID isn't whitelisted for use in the network slot.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

3 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

That's... almost definitely not going to work well, if at all. That M2 slot for your network card probably only has 1 lane, maybe 2 if you're lucky. Performance would be awful and your laptop's motherboard very well could just reject it entirely because the hardware ID isn't whitelisted for use in the network slot.

is there a way to check if the motherboard will reject the egpu without buying it first