What's the Best CPU cooler?

Mattiie

Hi,聽

I'm looking to build my first PC soon and will hopefully be getting a 3080 and the new AMD Zen 3 5900 cpu, so will need some good cooling in my case, I've been thinking about a Nh-d15, but saw that it struggles if the GPu puts out a lot of heat like a 3080 will, so what would be the best cooler I could get? 馃槉

well, a good case with good airflow would help with that.

the nh-d15 is the best air cooler.

if you want more cooling power, go for big AIO, like a 280 or 360 arctic freezer II cooler.

The best air coolers are the Noctua NH-D15, be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 and Arctic Freezer 50.

Especially the Arctic Freezer 50 is a great deal for the performance you get. And it even looks good with RGB accents if you're into it.

Then, like @boggy77聽said, go for a good airflow case聽aswell.聽For example:

Phanteks P400A, P500A

Cooler Master H500, TD500

be Quiet! Pure Base 500DX

Corsair 4000D Airflow

Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh

Also: The 3080 dumping heat in front of the CPU cooler is not a problem, as many youtubers already adressed. In fact the extra airflow sometimes even helps.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

if you want an air cooler nhd 15 , dark rock 4 pro , and deepcool assasin 3 are all very good aircoolers. In my opinion aircoolers are better because they are more reliable and often as good as all in one liquid coolers.

Here's a helpful list:

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

I have聽Nh-d15s with 2080 tis that use up to 387 watts with no issues.

The down side to the聽Nh-d15 is fitment. I have 2 in computers using聽only one fan since the rear fan is over the ram and sits higher than the cooler itself.聽

One has a i9 9900k at 5ghz all cores and the other has a i7 8086k at 5.1ghz. Both run in the low 30s at idle and bench in the 80s.

The other large cooler I use is the bequite Dark Rock Pro 4.聽 It has fitment problems as well but I looks nicer in a case.聽聽I even keep one as a spare.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master聽| RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro聽32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA聽FTW3 ULTRA聽 RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB聽| SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB聽| Monitor: ASUS聽ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master聽| RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro聽32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA聽FTW3 ULTRA聽 RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB聽| SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master聽| RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro聽32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB聽| SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4聽CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090聽 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+聽| Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB聽聽| SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB聽| Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

8 hours ago, Drama Lama said:

if you want an air cooler nhd 15 , dark rock 4 pro , and deepcool assasin 3 are all very good aircoolers. In my opinion aircoolers are better because they are more reliable and often as good as all in one liquid coolers.

Here's a helpful list:

Hello,聽

As a some one that works at DeepCool, I can confirm that the 280W TDP rating for the Assassin III makes it an excellent choice if you are looking into a twin tower high performance air cooler. It has tested quite well in just about every application we have tried it in. The NHD-15 is one of the top rated air coolers out there, but Noctua doesn't list the TDP for it, but I have seen vendors mentioning that it is at 220W TDP. Just a little information that this thread might find useful.

DeepCool Support

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Sorry if you've already finished your build, but i'm also doing my 1st build soon and have just found out that my case (Phantecs P400a) won't allow me to fit any air coolers over 160mm in height so thats something to check out if you haven't already. Looking like for this case options are BE QUIET Dark Rock 4 (Not pro) at pretty much the full 160mm in height, Scythe Fuma 2 coming in at 154.5mm, and the Arctic Freezer 34 at 157mm not sure about any others out there.聽

聽If cooler height isn't an issue for you then go with whatever you fancy, Just putting this out there for those who may not be thinking of cooler clearance (Like i did when buying the case >.<).

In any case, enjoy your new rig :)

D15 isn't the best air cooler guys, cmon now. Just because you bought it doesn't make it the best 馃榾

IIRC D15 is rated to 260w, since DeepCool came in and started throwing TDP around.. Thermalright has several coolers rated at 320w, and one rated for 360w.

I'm not sure if I believe those numbers, but I do own a couple of Thermalright coolers that perform a little better than my old D14 did.

I didn't come in here to start anything.. just throwing that out there!聽馃憤

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's