Upgrading A School PC- Is It Worth It?

I made a post about a week ago (Read Here) talking about the best upgrade for some school computers that they used for video editing, but were very slow. The teacher asked me what the fix was, and I'm trying to come up with the cheapest solution possible. 

Here's a rundown of the issues:

Physical Problems:

I think this was something that the school ordered pre-built, based on the case and the motherboard. I was trying to figure out what exactly the deal with the MOBO was, as it had two RAM slots- but seemed larger than a standard mini ATX board (the only other standard that supports that RAM layout). The only other thing I can think of is that it’s a custom built board for this case? The computer was obviously not built for heavy work loads, like editing- but I don’t think the person who modified it realized. My theory is that after ordering this prebuilt, they pulled out the old GPU and replaced it with a 1070. (They had actually cut out pieces of metal to fit the new card). The also put it a cheap SSD as a boot drive and a new stick of RAM.  

Other Problems:

• 60-100% CPU Usage Idle
  • 50-80% Memory Usage Idle
  • Awful Thermals (Most likely thermal throttling constantly) 

What's the best way to fix this without spending money? I told them to install graphics drivers and and remove all the junk from the system. Is there anything else?

If we could spend money, I gave my teacher this spec list: 

CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz / Link

SSD: Sabrent Rocket Q 500GB NVMe (Still Looking Into Other Options) / Link

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) / Link

Motherboard: GIGABYTE B450M DS3H AM4 AMD B450 / Link

Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L Micro ATX Tower / Link

Is this a decent spec list for what we're trying to accomplish?

Thanks everyone!

SIDE NOTE: 

This is the current computer's spec list (anything that isn't listed I was unable to get the name of):

Intel Core i5-4460S @ 2.90 GHz

GeForce GTX 1070

8.0 GB DDR3 Memory (1 x Stock RAM, 1 x Hyper X Fury DDR3)

Kingston SA400S37120G

655A432E-4AA3-4D86-9AB0-DF9F91AE5E88_1_105_c.jpeg

0E9E3FA2-5FBB-4D60-90B1-4EAEC2310D39_1_105_c.jpeg

0DACD8B0-8048-4C6C-B21B-F89E3086BB68_1_105_c.jpeg

BED75479-C7B0-4A39-A76C-89E899D19BBC_1_105_c.jpeg

8 minutes ago, NekoTeagan said:

BED75479-C7B0-4A39-A76C-89E899D19BBC_1_105_c.jpeg

Well, no wonder it's constantly thermal-throttling.

Clean it, re-paste it, probably get the quality one like MX-4, for Riley's rumble sake.

And as for others, probably a clean install would be good. It's kind of decent specs for little editing actually. At least just for 720-1080p video.

Edited by dhannemon13
Well, no any helpful advices before. I even linked Riley' part of this.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

15 minutes ago, NekoTeagan said:

Intel Core i5-4460S @ 2.90 GHz

GeForce GTX 1070

8.0 GB DDR3 Memory (1 x Stock RAM, 1 x Hyper X Fury DDR3)

Kingston SA400S37120G

This is a decent system, I've got something similar and I'm nowhere near that cpu utilization.

Same ram btw lol

What I would do:

1. if this is an OEM system, reinstall a fresh copy of Windows using the OEM key. Not a refresh, not a restore. A clean install with the ISO provided by Microsoft. That will get rid of all the hidden services that OEMs put on their machines, especially Dell.
  2. for the love of god, that AV. It's most likely the cause of the system slowdown. If there are no particular policies in place, I'll suggest to use Windows Defender instead, since it's pretty decent and has a minimal impact on performance. Security should be achieved on a network level anyways.
  3. Make sure the sys Admin (or whoever is in charge of this task in your school) sets some policies regarding Windows Updates. Either schedule them during the weekend or disable them outright.
  4. I would reapply some TIM, at least on the CPU

This should definitely help.

As a bonus, if you really have to spend any money, grab another stick of matching ram and an SSD (any with dram should do)

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

6 minutes ago, Parideboy said:

for the love of god, that AV. It's most likely the cause of the system slowdown. If there are no particular policies in place, I'll suggest to use Windows Defender instead, since it's pretty decent and has a minimal impact on performance.

And I would agree with this. No matter how expensive/'good' antivirus is, some stupid people that downloads the wrong file or plugged in a malware-infected flash drive would ended all the same anyway. Windows 10's Defender are actually really good that I never installed any kind of 3rd party AV anymore on a lot PCs/laptops I installed.

6 minutes ago, Parideboy said:

As a bonus, if you really have to spend any money, grab another stick of matching ram and an SSD (any with dram should do)

I actually wanna advice this on my post above, but I thought 8 GB would be fine for light-editing (720-1080p video) I thought (at least on me). 16 GBs would be kind of overkill for that system.

I personally using 8 GB laptop and it would idling at 30-50% RAM (and 62% right now, with 22 Vivaldi tabs opened), which is actually fine.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

2 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

And I would agree with this. No matter how expensive/'good' antivirus is, some stupid people that downloads the wrong file or plugged in a malware-infected flash drive would ended all the same anyway. Windows 10's Defender are actually really good that I never installed any kind of 3rd party AV anymore on a lot PCs/laptops I installed.

Yeah, I just uninstalled 3 diffrent antivitus services from my grangparents computer b/c of how good windows defender is now. And, guess what? It is a lot faster now!

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

3 diffrent antivitus services

Okay, Riley. Rumble again, please.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

You say it is running a kingston ssd but in the photos I see green PCB on that drive so it looks like a HDD instead of an ssd is the os on the kingston ssd? 

10 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

Exactly. Even if Windows Defender was junk, it's integrated in the os. It will always be faster.

10 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

I actually wanna advice this on my post above, but I thought 8 GB would be fine for light-editing (720-1080p video) I thought (at least on me). 16 GBs would be kind of overkill for that system.

Yeah, it was more an advice for the future. With less then 100$ they can still keep those machines around for years if they want to

1 minute ago, SweatyWhiteJedi said:

You say it is running a kingston ssd but in the photos I see green PCB on that drive so it looks like a HDD instead of an ssd is the os on the kingston ssd? 

Big oof on my end, I thought that was a HDD, even tho it looks like one from the photos

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

5 minutes ago, SweatyWhiteJedi said:

I never took any pictures of the SSD, it's basically just kinda floating around in the system lol, but yeah it has two HDDs, I'm 90% sure they're using the SSD as a boot drive 

6 minutes ago, SweatyWhiteJedi said:

5 minutes ago, Parideboy said:

Big oof on my end, I thought that was a HDD, even tho it looks like one from the photos

Well, mystery solved. Indeed probably that's a HDD.

Spoiler

Terjual Kingston SSD SSDNow A400 120GB SA400S37/120G | KASKUS

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

1 minute ago, NekoTeagan said:

I never took any pictures of the SSD, it's basically just kinda floating around in the system lol, but yeah it has two HDDs, I'm 90% sure they're using the SSD as a boot drive 

Is the purpose of the HDD for video editing storage? That could cause a lot of slow down and in task manager when there's 2 drives it adds them together in terms of percentage used so that drive could be causing the slow down. 

Just now, SweatyWhiteJedi said:

Is the purpose of the HDD for video editing storage? That could cause a lot of slow down and in task manager when there's 2 drives it adds them together in terms of percentage used so that drive could be causing the slow down. 

I would put the money into a 250-500gb ssd and make it the primary/only drive in the system to ensure that there is plenty of fast storage and no option for user error. If a virus scan is running on that HDD it can also cause some issues. 

Just now, SweatyWhiteJedi said:

Honestly I have no idea why they have two, in task manager a second one doesn't even show up, so I don't think it's even being utilized- there was a stock one that came with the original pre-built and then they put a second one in- for some reason?

3 minutes ago, SweatyWhiteJedi said:

I did use a SSD+HDD (HDD died unfortunately) combo. That HDD won't slow the system by that much, except if you're actually running something of it.

Or, except if those HDDs are bad. It's hurting the whole PC performance (even unused) very much. Check the SMART status using HWInfo or else to be sure.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

1 minute ago, dhannemon13 said:

I did use a SSD+HDD (HDD died unfortunately) combo. That HDD won't slow the system by that much, except if you're actually running something of it.

Or, except if those HDDs are bad. Check the SMART status using HWInfo or else to be sure.

I tried checking HW Info, but the administrator blocked the application from being launched lol 

1 minute ago, NekoTeagan said:

Honestly I have no idea why they have two, in task manager a second one doesn't even show up, so I don't think it's even being utilized- there was a stock one that came with the original pre-built and then they put a second one in- for some reason?

Loose connector on the drive? Probably still unpartitioned (one reason it's not showing up, as EVERY single of drive should showing up on the task manager, even it's an external one). Or it's just basically dead and just hanging there?

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

Just now, NekoTeagan said:

I tried checking HW Info, but the administrator blocked the application from being launched lol 

try unplugging the HDD and restart and see how everything runs

2 minutes ago, NekoTeagan said:

Try reinstall the PC first maybe, it would solve 80% of the slow PC problems most efficiently.

But, for real. Open that CPU cooler and clean it using compressed air. That's the main source of your awful temperature.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

Just now, dhannemon13 said:

Try reinstall the PC first maybe, it would solve 80% of the slow PC problems most efficiently.

Yeah, I'll have to get administrator access and then go from there

On another note, you can disable the page file on the HDDs and only leave it enabled on the SSD.