PS4 Pro or Xbox One X going into next gen?

Renton577

So I have a choice right now to either have an Xbox One X or PS4 Pro going into next gen, I'm just curious on which will get game support longer, Microsoft statement on current gen consoles makes me more inclined to believe they will but then PlayStation is the focus for most devs this gen. Anyone have any thoughts?

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HX GPU: AMD RX 6800M RAM: 16GB DDR4 Storage: 512GB + 1TB Intel SSD

Playstation has the better exclusives IMO. Xbox I think while fantastic.. isnt really necessary as almost everything will be available via GamePass on PC. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Why not just wait and get the xbox series s? Same price but will be supported longer as well it's the new console.

I see them ditching the consoles after a year or 2 because most devs hate the cpu part in them because it's just so weak. So really it's a terrible idea to get either right now.

Just now, jaslion said:

Why not just wait and get the xbox series s? Same price but will be supported longer as well it's the new console.

I see them ditching the consoles after a year or 2 because most devs hate the cpu part in them because it's just so weak. So really it's a terrible idea to get either right now.

Right now its not an option, with short supply and my disposable income I want to be with whichever console will last the longest, right now I have a PS4 Pro but my friend has an Xbox One X he would be willing to let me swap it out for.

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HX GPU: AMD RX 6800M RAM: 16GB DDR4 Storage: 512GB + 1TB Intel SSD

Wait a month and get a Series S or PS5 Digital? Absolutely no point in getting a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X when the Series S is $299 and the PS5 digital is $399. Xbox One X's and PS4 Pros are still going for $250 plus. Pay the extra $100 for a next gen console and not worry at all. How is this even a question?

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Playstation has the better exclusives IMO. Xbox I think while fantastic.. isnt really necessary as almost everything will be available via GamePass on PC. 

I like Playstation exclusives as well but I'm more looking for which will get me 3rd party titles the longest into next gen.

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

1 minute ago, Renton577 said:

Right now its not an option, with short supply and my disposable income I want to be with whichever console will last the longest, right now I have a PS4 Pro but my friend has an Xbox One X he would be willing to let me swap it out for.

Sell your PS4 Pro for $250 and pay the extra $150 for a PS5 digital.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Just now, Renton577 said:

Just keep your disposable income and keep the ps4 pro? Both consoles will get ditched around the same time anyways. I mean the moment the call of duties and such stop coming to one the other will stop getting them too and then it's basically as good as over.

I like Playstation exclusives as well but I'm more looking for which will get me 3rd party titles the longest into next gen.

Generally upwards of 2 years at most. Have to remember, its usually a long development cycle for a lot of games, usually in the 2-5 year cycle for AAA games so they have been building them with the expectation of launching on current Gen. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Wait a month and get a Series S or PS5 Digital? Absolutely no point in getting a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X when the Series S is $299 and the PS5 digital is $399. Xbox One X's and PS4 Pros are still going for $250 plus. Pay the extra $100 for a next gen console and not worry at all. How is this even a question?

Well right now it wouldn't cost me anything thats why I'm curious, I have a PS4 Pro now and my buddy would let me swap it with his X if I wanted too, I'm just looking for the system that will get me into next gen the longest.

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

Sell your PS4 Pro for $250 and pay the extra $150 for a PS5 digital.

My disposable income is 0 right now that's not an option that's why I was asking this.

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

Xbox and Playstation usually only give consumers about a year or a little over to get a next gen console before they cut games support and they usually cut it at the same time. I'd say either one will only last you a year maybe two at the most.

My disposable income is 0 right now that's not an option that's why I was asking this.

Ok so keep the ps4 and start saving up. Both consoles will loose support from AAA multiplatforms at the same time as they are basically running identical hardware anyways.

Xbox and Playstation usually only give consumers about a year to get a next gen console before they cut games support and they usually cut it at the same time. I'd say either one will only last you a year maybe two at the most.

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Generally upwards of 2 years at most. Have to remember, its usually a long development cycle for a lot of games, usually in the 2-5 year cycle for AAA games so they have been building them with the expectation of launching on current Gen. 

These both seem true but the thing that got me thinking was when Microsoft mentioned supporting 1st party games longer, they almost seem to be going for a more PC like approach with their older consoles just having a less refined experience 

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Ok so keep the ps4 and start saving up. Both consoles will loose support from AAA multiplatforms at the same time as they are basically running identical hardware anyways.

The One X however had a 6TFlop GPU which had me wondering if it might fare better.

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

4 minutes ago, Renton577 said:

These both seem true but the thing that got me thinking was when Microsoft mentioned supporting 1st party games longer, they almost seem to be going for a more PC like approach with their older consoles just having a less refined experience 

While they may do this it would only be for Microsoft Exclusive games, meaning only one or two AAA games a year. And nothing that is also releasing on Playstation. It just wouldn't be worth it in my opinion, Playstation has the better exclusives. Personally if I were in your shoes I'd keep the PS4 Pro and save where I could to get a PS5 before the game support ends. It would be especially pointless for you to get an Xbox if you already have a PC, "Xbox" exclusives were changed to Microsoft Exclusives because they will all be releasing on Windows as well. So if you already have a PC an Xbox would be literally pointless.

1 minute ago, Renton577 said:

The One X however had a 6TFlop GPU which had me wondering if it might fare better.

No you don't look at the one x and ps4 pro. You need to look at the ps4 and xbox one. Both sony and microsoft are pretty adamant about not allowing exclusives for their more powerful mid gen consoles as that would cause a lot of uproar. And well sure the ps4 is a little more powerful than the xbox one it's not gonna matter. Both run an almost identical terribly weak cpu so no matter the gpu horsepower the moment the cpu can't keep up it's over.

I mean a gpu not being up to the task is as simple as lowering the resolution a little. Cpu not up to the task is a big undertaking to get stuff to be optimized well.

On 10/22/2020 at 12:36 AM, Renton577 said:

Well right now it wouldn't cost me anything thats why I'm curious, I have a PS4 Pro now and my buddy would let me swap it with his X if I wanted too, I'm just looking for the system that will get me into next gen the longest.

No way would i swap.

The ps4 has the best games by far...it's not even close.