Best Midrange Smartphone

Ali_H.

I'm looking for a new smartphone around $400. I would prefer the phone have no notch or hole-punch display (If not possible, i can live with a hole-punch on the left side), decent battery life, good camera (photo and video) and powerful enough to play some games (Genshin Impact). So far, the only one i found that interests me is the Sony Xperia 10 II.

Honestly it seems like the 2020 iPhone SE might suit you quite well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

I'm a fan of the Pixel devices personally. Pixel 4a has a hole punch, though I don't find it too bad. And obviously the Pixel phones have some of the best cameras available, and they also get pretty good software support. 

If you really don't like the hole punch, you can probably find a new or like new Pixel 3a or 3a XL (which is what I have personally been using for about a year and a half). 

9 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

iPhone Xr is great but has a notch. Really not a big deal though

I agree, but I suspect it hasn't come down in price enough yet unfortunately (OP mentioned they were looking for something around $400)

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

25 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Honestly it seems like the 2020 iPhone SE might suit you quite well.

12 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

iPhone Xr is great but has a notch. Really not a big deal though

2 minutes ago, TheBahrbarian said:

I'm a fan of the Pixel devices personally. Pixel 4a has a hole punch, though I don't find it too bad. And obviously the Pixel phones have some of the best cameras available, and they also get pretty good software support. 

If you really don't like the hole punch, you can probably find a new or like new Pixel 3a or 3a XL (which is what I have personally been using for about a year and a half). 

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. However, I do find some problems. While the iPhone SE Honestly seems like a good choice, it's just the battery that kills it for me. I absolutely hate notches so no iPhone XR (I have a Moto G7 right now and the notch bothers me so much). and the thing with the pixel is that I think it's too small, but I will still look at the pixels.

1 minute ago, Ali_H. said:

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. However, I do find some problems. While the iPhone SE Honestly seems like a good choice, it's just the battery that kills it for me. I absolutely hate notches so no iPhone XR (I have a Moto G7 right now and the notch bothers me so much). and the thing with the pixel is that I think it's too small, but I will still look at the pixels.

The Pixel 4a is definitely a little small for my taste, and unfortunately the larger version (now the 4a 5g, not XL for some reason) is too expensive imo and above your budget at $500. The 3a XL is plenty big for me however, definitely one of my favorite phones I have owned thus far. 

4 minutes ago, TheBahrbarian said:

The Pixel 4a is definitely a little small for my taste, and unfortunately the larger version (now the 4a 5g, not XL for some reason) is too expensive imo and above your budget at $500. The 3a XL is plenty big for me however, definitely one of my favorite phones I have owned thus far. 

I'm personally ok with going $500 but really that's the max I will go.

27 minutes ago, Ali_H. said:

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. However, I do find some problems. While the iPhone SE Honestly seems like a good choice, it's just the battery that kills it for me.

What do you need the battery for?

Don't forget that iOS is WAY better at optimising for hardware than Android is, so Apple do get more time out of a smaller battery.

pythonmegapixel

38 minutes ago, Ali_H. said:

Used oneplus 7 pro maybe? No notch, fast, high refresh rate. I'd still recommend the Xr, I got it December 2018 and it's still amazing today. I upgraded to the 11 but my Xr is still at around 90% battery health and lasts for over 7 hours screen on time. iPhone SE should be fine for normal usage, but for heavy users it's not good.

9 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Don't forget that iOS is WAY better at optimising for hardware than Android is, so Apple do get more time out of a smaller battery.

The battery life of the se is laughably bad. Can't deny that.

10 hours ago, Ali_H. said:

I'm looking for a new smartphone around $400. I would prefer the phone have no notch or hole-punch display (If not possible, i can live with a hole-punch on the left side), decent battery life, good camera (photo and video) and powerful enough to play some games (Genshin Impact). So far, the only one i found that interests me is the Sony Xperia 10 II.

Can you list some websites you're planning to buy from?

1 hour ago, EL02 said:

The battery life of the se is laughably bad. Can't deny that.

Can you list some websites you're planning to buy from?

Pretty Much Amazon.

This is the Sony Phone I was talking About: Sony Xperia 10 II

So much hate for the notch.. I don’t mind it. But I have a 6.5 inch screen so I rarely notice it.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14