Star Citizen = So much to take in!

Sir. Smudge

Does anybody else feel the same way i do? Like i'm super looking forward to its release but im struggling to take it all in. All the packages that they have on sale, all the ships and their capablities, what it ship is different for. And what about the specs that the game is going to require. Maybe its best i don't get to into it because there is NO way i can afford a next generation cpu and gpu just run it at lowish to medium settings.

It's just another game to me. Yes I'm a backer, yes I'm excited but I don't follow it too close because it's still far from release 

You've never played EVE Online have you.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Does anybody else feel the same way i do? Like i'm super looking forward to its release but im struggling to take it all in. All the packages that they have on sale, all the ships and their capablities, what it ship is different for. And what about the specs that the game is going to require. Maybe its best i don't get to into it because there is NO way i can afford a next generation cpu and gpu just run it at lowish to medium settings.

Crysis 3 engine.

The game is AMD mantle though and low level is coming to OpenGL/DirectX.

A lot could change in the next year or so.The days of I5/I7 on many titles could be going away. Wait till it comes out. He isn't going to make the game only playable with 2 GTX 880's. :) He wants to make money and the game will have lower settings. Take a game like Tomb Raider. I ran that with a GTX 260 216c (2008 video card) with a DirectX9 tweak at 60 fps with ultra textures and everything else lower at 1080p. No I didn't have Trexx FX or Tesselation, but the game still looked pretty decent (prob damn close to these next gen consoles). The CPU was a e8400 at 4ghz. I ran BF3 with that thing, WoW, damn near every single player title and it wasn't until GW2 and Planetside 2 that it just wasn't enough.

The performance hit on things like shadows/lighting is staggering in games. They can always be turned down.

If Star Citizen didn't tax the newest stuff? People would create mods or tweaks that did. People ran higher settings in Planetside 2 then were native.  Star Citizen is just trying to push as far as they can, they aren't leaving everyone behind. Add to all this? Computers are going to be LOWER on price not higher soon for gaming. We have never had optimization, which is why we always needed brute force. 

Save up some cash. Be excited for low level optimization and you may be able to play Star Citizen for a lot less then you think and have it look pretty decent as well.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Don't worry about pledge ships too much. Default equipment on those is 1 to 3 on a scale from 1 to 10. Buying hulls in-game is not going to take long progressing naturally, it's when you decide to stick with a ship and try to get it fully upgraded you're going to have to sink time into it.

Pledge ships are essentially to let people start with a ship that is more closely matched to their playstyle than the two starter ships are.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Don't worry about pledge ships too much. Default equipment on those is 1 to 3 on a scale from 1 to 10. Buying hulls in-game is not going to take long progressing naturally, it's when you decide to stick with a ship and try to get it fully upgraded you're going to have to sink time into it.

Pledge ships are essentially to let people start with a ship that is more closely matched to their playstyle than the two starter ships are.

Seems to be the case yeah, even ships like the Super Hornet (glances over to his shining beauty, freshly waxed) come equipped with what looks like really standard stuff. I'd care to wager that the actual hulls will be worth much less than the higher level components.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

I am getting a little fed up with star citizen myself. They are getting a little greedy for my taste. Also most of the physical items I ordered also never came yet, were talking 3 months later because they use a fly by night shipping company.

The way they fund the game with these pledged ships and the model that it promotes I think is a bit of an issue, it could be construed as being Pay to Win. They have also said in the past it would take about 40-60 hours of gameplay to get a constellation ship in game so there does seem to be some merit in the Pay 2 Win potential of all this, it very much depends on how the game plays out.

But it looks like any other game really, its big budget and big goals and probably the thing most different about it is the community communication strategy. That communication strategy is mostly to compensate for the lack of code up to this point as the game is running very late, but as the money rolled in their goals shifted ever higher so its no surprise really. I don't think its worth buying into anything other than the basic tier, I think more than that I doubt its worth buying into the game at this point unseen at all. There is basically no benefit to you personally, and you don't have any idea when the game is going to drop if at all. When it does will it be any good or not?! Crowd funding is a risky business.

It took me a bit to catch up on everything when I started looking at SC, but now that I have (relatively speaking), it's not too bad. This is the first game in recent memory to get me excited. I've got high hopes for this game, and so far it looks like it's on track to fulfill those hopes. Maybe it's because of the amount of communication that is being put out by Chris and the team compared to other devs, I donno. Either way, I'm stoked for SC, and if the DFM/Alpha lives up to what is in my head then this guy is going to be building another rig and grabbing an Oculus Rift for immersion.

What are you running for a PC? The hanger module can give you a rough idea, as they recommend "Windows 7 or 8 64-bit Dual Core CPU Intel: Core2 Duo 2.4Ghz AMD: Phenom X2 8GB of RAM NVidia Geforce 460GTX AMD Radeon HD5850 DirectX 11" for a minimum.

Can be seen here part way down:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13214-Letter-From-The-Chairman-The-Hangar-Module

There's also a thread over on RSI about this:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/22025/guide-to-can-my-pc-laptop-run-star-citizen

Never say it's not broken. Everything is broken. Why? Because everything needs MOAR POWA!

I feel the same way about the game. I would love to be an early adopter but I'm not one to buy a game that isn't finished. I'd rather wait until people have played it, see what they think and I'll buy based on that. I think I already know it's going to be awesome - the concept is pretty cool. The problem with Star Citizen though is I feel like I'll be at a disadvantage if I buy the game on proper release day, as the majority of people will already have their ships, knowing how the dogfighting etc works, and I will still be grasping the basics...

If somebody could explain exactly how the development process is working, the things they have yet to add to the game, what you get by investing early, and what you potentially miss out on by waiting for the game's full release before purchasing, that would be really helpful!

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

The closest thing i have seen to compare Star Citizen graphics to is Enders Game... yes the movie :|

Character artist in the Games industry.