My Nvidia settings wont save. Two screens one Port, so only one screen is pluged in at a time.

Felis

Hello guys :)

I have a small but difficult problem. I am using a GTX 1660 Super wich only has one Display port, one HDMI port and one DVI or VGA(i don`t realy know and don`t care).

But because I am using my PC to wach movies on my TV and I am working and gaming on my Viewsonic 144hz Monitor.

Because I do not need both screens at the same time I bought a hdmi switch (One HDMI in and Two HDMI out, with a button I can switch between output 1 and 2) and it works exactly like I intended it to do.

Here comes my problem.

Everytime i switch between screens i lose all of my color settings on my Nvidia Controll Pannel and my arangement on my Desktop gets thrown around and the resolution settings in my games get reseted.

Is there a way to presave the Tow screens settings, so the do not get changed when I switch the screen?

I think the main Problem with this is, that when i use the Switch to change the screen it is like I unplug one screen and plugin the other.

And sorry if i have misspelled a lot, I am not from an englisch speaking country but when i found no solution for my problem on other websites the only forum for stuff like this wich came to my mind was Linustechtips.

My Nvidia settings wont save. Two screens one Port

If it exist it is not guaranteed to work properly.

And considering that the two screens share bandwidth from a single port,it's not proper and may confuse the driver.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

5 minutes ago, Vishera said:

If it exist it is not guaranteed to work properly.

And considering that the two screens share bandwidth from a single port,it's not proper and may confuse the driver.

They do not share bandwith, it is not a HDMI splitter. There is only one output port active at a time. It is more like i plug in one screen and remove the other when i switch screens, the oly difference now is, that i dont have toclimb behind my pc and do it by hand. Now i just have to push a button at the switch.

Edited by Felis

15 minutes ago, Felis said:

Hello guys :)

I have a small but difficult problem. I am using a GTX 1660 Super wich only has one Display port, one HDMI port and one DVI or VGA(i don`t realy know and don`t care).

But because I am using my PC to wach movies on my TV and I am working and gaming on my Viewsonic 144hz Monitor.

Because I do not need both screens at the same time I bought a hdmi switch (One HDMI in and Two HDMI out, with a button I can switch between output 1 and 2) and it works exactly like I intended it to do.

Here comes my problem.

Everytime i switch between screens i lose all of my color settings on my Nvidia Controll Pannel and my arangement on my Desktop gets thrown around and the resolution settings in my games get reseted.

Is there a way to presave the Tow screens settings, so the do not get changed when I switch the screen?

I think the main Problem with this is, that when i use the Switch to change the screen it is like I unplug one screen and plugin the other.

And sorry if i have misspelled a lot, I am not from an englisch speaking country but when i found no solution for my problem on other websites the only forum for stuff like this wich came to my mind was Linustechtips.

The switch is probably causing driver issues and PC is unable to save the changes made to the devices that go through the port of that switch.

Just now, Felis said:

They do not share bandwith, it is not a HDMI splitter. There is only one port active at a time.

Maybe it's because it switches between displays,and each time it happens the driver thinks it's a new display.

If that's the case,then that sounds like a normal behavior,and AMD GPU drivers do the same thing.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

Maybe it's because it switches between displays,and each time it happens the driver thinks it's a new display.

If that's the case,then that sounds like a normal behavior,and AMD GPU drivers do the same thing.

I think that's the issue. Do all display controllers do that?

8 minutes ago, Felis said:

Unfortunately that's not why you are having the issues. When using a switch such as that you are essentially swapping the display out manually, both are different screen sizes and resolutions so every time you switch to the other screen the resolution is changing causing the icons to try to auto adjust to the new resolution. Most of the time they can get pretty jacked up in random places. The Nvidia color settings are also based on the display so switching to the other monitor is resetting those settings to default so you don't have issues with the "new" screen. You should scrap using the HDMI switch. Hell most switches especially HDMi don't have high refresh rate support so that means you aren't even getting 144hz on your high refresh rate monitor... What ports does your Viewsonic monitor have? The "older" looking port on your GPU is called DVI, most likely Dual Link DVI, and it's not a bad connection, supports 144hz and everything. Display port however is the best of the three. If your monitor has DP use that for the monitor and have the TV plugged in via HDMI. If the monitor doesn't have DP and has DVI use that instead and use HDMI with the TV. Have it setup in dual screen instead of using the switch as the switch combined with the different displays is what is causing your problem.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Just now, Harshvardhan said:

As far as i know,yes.

2 minutes ago, Harshvardhan said:

The switch is probably causing driver issues and PC is unable to save the changes made to the devices that go through the port of that switch.

The pc does recognice that there is a different screen pluged in. I am serching for a solution to save different color settings for the two screens and not have them reseted everytime i switch. And thanks for the fast replys :)

Just now, Harshvardhan said:

Most swtiches do. It essentially unplugs one display and plugs in another. It's just like if OP was to manually unplug and switch the HDMI over between the monitors. The monitors different resolutions account for the icons getting messed up and moved and every time the display switches, Nvidia control panel will reset color settings based on display as well so every time it switches it will reset for the new display. OP's issue is caused by using an HDMI switch instead of having the monitor and TV hooked up in dual screen with two separate cables(DP in 144hz Monitor and HDMI in TV). If they continue to use the HDMI switch they will keep having the same problems.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

3 minutes ago, Felis said:

The pc does recognice that there is a different screen pluged in. I am serching for a solution to save different color settings for the two screens and not have them reseted everytime i switch. And thanks for the fast replys :)

The problem is not the control panel settings or saving, the problem is you using the switch. In order for the displays to work correctly in both terms of icons not messing up and Nvidia color settings staying the same you need to have the monitors in dual screen. I'm not going to type the explanation again as it would be the second time but I will type the solution. You need to have the 144hz monitor plugged in via Display Port or DVI, then have the TV plugged in via HDMI, DO NOT USE THE SWITCH. Otherwise your problems will continue. 

21 minutes ago, Felis said:

It is more like i plug in one screen and remove the other when i switch screens, the oly difference now is, that i dont have toclimb behind my pc and do it by hand. Now i just have to push a button at the switch.

I think you just answered your own question there sir. Do you get the same experience if you unplug the HDMI from one display and plug it into the other? If so, your switch is no different.