Look for Advice | Daily Driver Laptop & Video Editing

Jamal55

Hello, I'm looking for some advice on a new laptop.

This device will serve as the main driver for my friend's business. The most performance intensive task this machine will need to perform is video editing/rendering (videos up to 1 hour in length) which she does on a daily basis. Unfortunately it needs to be a laptop, but if there is a good laptop + eGPU combo then I might be able to talk her into that.

Price can be somewhere in the 1500 USD region.

In my own research I've come up with the XPS 15 GTX 1650 Ti 4GB. I would love to hear some other suggestions and perhaps a small explanation as to why you're recommending it over the XPS 15.

Regards

39 minutes ago, Jamal55 said:

This device will serve as the main driver for my friend's business. The most performance intensive task this machine will need to perform is video editing/rendering (videos up to 1 hour in length) which she does on a daily basis. Unfortunately it needs to be a laptop, but if there is a good laptop + eGPU combo then I might be able to talk her into that.

In my own research I've come up with the XPS 15 GTX 1650 Ti 4GB. I would love to hear some other suggestions and perhaps a small explanation as to why you're recommending it over the XPS 15.

Regards

Keep in mind a mobile 1650ti is not the same as a desktop 1650ti.  It’s much weaker.  Egpu has limitations.  It’s got only 4 pcie3.0 lanes so putting a big gpu in one is pointless.  I’ve heard desktop rx580 is the fastest card that can usefully be put in one without wasting card capacity , though there are occasionally reasons to put in more just to get math capacity.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Jamal55 said:

Regards

So does the editing you do require a good GPU? because if not then the new Zenbook S and S flip are good daily drivers with powerfull enough CPUs. the XPS 15 is a very good laptop. 

if you want something stronger then you ahve the asus zenbook pro dou which is the one with 2 screens and is a powerfull (and its kinda heavy also, above 2.3 kilos) but it still has the zenbook very nice estetics. this laptop comes with uo to i9 and 2070 super max q (i think). 

if you want something gaming grade then the asus G14 and soon to be released m15 are good daily drivers 

On 10/18/2020 at 8:53 PM, Elad.Evron said:

So does the editing you do require a good GPU? because if not then the new Zenbook S and S flip are good daily drivers with powerfull enough CPUs. the XPS 15 is a very good laptop. 

if you want something stronger then you ahve the asus zenbook pro dou which is the one with 2 screens and is a powerfull (and its kinda heavy also, above 2.3 kilos) but it still has the zenbook very nice estetics. this laptop comes with uo to i9 and 2070 super max q (i think). 

if you want something gaming grade then the asus G14 and soon to be released m15 are good daily drivers 

I don't personally know how powerful a CPU or GPU needs to be for this. She uses Adobe Premiere for that. I think mostly trimming videos, adding text and transitions, some audio adjustment. Some graphic work in Illustrator.

The big questions are not just length (which is how many pictures in the flip book) and is mostly about storage but how big the pictures are.  YouTube alone goes from 720p-4k.

LTT shot in 8k and I read recently just bought 12k cameras.  That’s orders of magnitude more data per picture.  So an hour helps but an hour of 720p could be handled with just a big SSD, while an hour of 8k is 16 times larger and might not even be Handlable by the biggest workstations that could be made.  That was Hollywood level no-one-has-ever-done-this-before  gigantic renderfarm stuff back when they did it for the Tolkien movies. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

The big questions are not just length (which is how many pictures in the flip book) and is mostly about storage but how big the pictures are.  YouTube alone goes from 720p-4k.

LTT shot in 8k and I read recently just bought 12k cameras.  That’s orders of magnitude more data per picture.  So an hour helps but an hour of 720p could be handled with just a big SSD, while an hour of 8k is 16 times larger and might not even be Handlable by the biggest workstations that could be made.  That was Hollywood level no-one-has-ever-done-this-before  gigantic renderfarm stuff back when they did it for the Tolkien movies. 

Storage itself I think isn't relevant because finished projects don't stay on the laptop. The videos are shot in 1080p but might in the near future be shot at 4k.

On 10/18/2020 at 8:05 PM, Bombastinator said:

desktop 1650ti

desktop don't have 1650Ti.

On 10/18/2020 at 7:20 PM, Jamal55 said:

XPS 15 

avoid.

On 10/18/2020 at 7:20 PM, Jamal55 said:

Price can be somewhere in the 1500 USD region

Are you buying in US? Preferred max weight and min battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

6 hours ago, genexis_x said:

desktop don't have 1650Ti.

avoid.

Are you buying in US? Preferred max weight and min battery life?

They’ve got supers though.  Point is not altered

13 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

They’ve got supers though.  Point is not altered

1650Ti and 1650 Super are very different.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

5 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

1650Ti and 1650 Super are very different.

On what?  Laptops?  If there is no 1650ti on a desktop it would have to be laptops.  The point is mobile stuff of the same name is not nearly as powerful as desktop versions of whatever.  Is this just a semantics thing trying to duck that concept or are you making an actual statement?

13 hours ago, Jamal55 said:

I don't personally know how powerful a CPU or GPU needs to be for this. She uses Adobe Premiere for that. I think mostly trimming videos, adding text and transitions, some audio adjustment. Some graphic work in Illustrator.

So the XPS is Dell's flagship laptop, their highest end laptop, and the most expensive, but as it is in laptops, you can get the same and even better scpecs on cheaper laptops while still haveing a good expirience with the laptop. and for stuff like this i would recommend a desktop, usually as a general rule, you can get twice the prefornece in desktop for a laptop with the same price