Ryzen 5 3600 High temps

Hello.

i've been having some issues with my thermals any time i do anything with my PC that puts my CPU at 100% usage, and i want to know if something is wrong, or if this is the case for most people that have this cpu.

Ok, so i'm running my ryzen 5 3600 at 4Ghz overclock on all cores at 1.375V and i'm using the stock cooler, i just rendered a 3D model and used my CPU, and it got really hot, i'm talking 97 C°, and it even spiked untill 102 C° at one time, and i got an overheat error crash once, and the PC just rebooted, anyone else experiencing something like this on their ryzen 5 3600 with a stock cooler ? or is something bad with my mounting/thermal paste (i'm using the HC -151 thermal paste, i've attached a picture of it that was in my dad's box), i'm looking into either buying a new CPU cooler, currently looking at the xigmatek windpower wp 1264 air cooler, it looks like the best bang for the buck, and stock of the more reputable brands like cooler master are low, i found a hyper H410R, but it has a red LED, and i dont want that. but thats besides the point.

Any idea what i can do to troubleshoot this before i go out and buy another cooler? or if anyone can tell me what their max temps at 100% load looks like so i can compare, that would be good for comparisson

Ordinateur Graisse Thermique Pâte HC 151 Silicone Composé HC151 Pour CPU  GPU VGA Chip RAM LED IC Radiateur De Refroidissement, Refroidisseur,  radiateur | AliExpress

2 minutes ago, Ichoumaz said:

i'm using the stock cooler

This is probably the issue. My 2600 is on the same cooler at stock clocks and even than it runs very warm. Personally, I'd dial down the overclock until you can get a better cooler

You're asking way too much out of the stock cooler

Take the overclock off and just use it stock for now. A cooler like an Arctic eSports DUO should do the trick. Or maybe a U12S

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

6 minutes ago, Ichoumaz said:

anyone else experiencing something like this on their ryzen 5 3600 with a stock cooler

stock cooler is decent, but 4ghz oc is pretty hard on the stoc cooler. also the case airflow matters

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

For an OC like that I'd at least expect you to be using an arctic freezer 34 duo. So, you have two options.

1- Just revert to normal clocks

2- Buy a better cooler. I suggestion looking at the Sycthe MUGEN 5/FUMA 2, thermalright macho rev b/c, arctic freezer 34 esports duo, or noctu nh-12us (at least I think it is that name lol). The FUMA 2 should perform the best of the bunch. Also, If you have a Case such as the NZXT H510- or really any NZXT case, or a case known for not have very good airflow, you may want to go for something like a phanteks p400a digital,  cooler master td500 mesh or Lian Li lancool 215 mesh- Itl'll improve temps by quite a bit.

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

20 minutes ago, Ichoumaz said:

ryzen 5 3600 at 4Ghz overclock on all cores at 1.375V and i'm using the stock cooler

Primary problems are limited cooling and high voltage. You shouldn't need that much voltage to manage 4ghz stable (if you do, sorry for the silicon lottery dud) but try 4ghz at 1.175-1.2v medium llc and see if that's stable, temps should come down a lot.

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

You probably don't need 1.375v for 4.0GHz overclock, nnless you got a real potato. 4.0GHz can be done with 1.20v or less. Your high temp is caused by the high vcore.

yeeeeh, i was suspecting that was the issue, aight, then i'm buying a new cooler tomorrow ( if the bank is open ), and i'll try and mess with the Vcore once i get the new cooler installed, maybe it was unstable because of the high temps?? or is the required Vcore soley down to the silicon lottery?

temps definitely play a role. Higher temperature means more leakage, and more leakage means you need more power to compensate, but more power means higher temps and more leakage. The only way to combat this exponentially spiraling problem is better cooling. with adequate cooling you could probably get the same overclocking with 1.1-1.2v. For heavy loads you probably want to stay below 1.325v as this is the apparent limit before zen 2 silicon can really start degrading.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

2 hours ago, Briggsy said:

temps definitely play a role. Higher temperature means more leakage, and more leakage means you need more power to compensate, but more power means higher temps and more leakage. The only way to combat this exponentially spiraling problem is better cooling. with adequate cooling you could probably get the same overclocking with 1.1-1.2v. For heavy loads you probably want to stay below 1.325v as this is the apparent limit before zen 2 silicon can really start degrading.

well, i'm buying the cooler tomorrow hopefully, and i'll see how it looks from there, i just tried 4Ghz OC on 1.2V and the PC didnt even want to start, at 1.3 it started, but i cant do a render, visualize instantly crashes , i think i had it at 1.375 when i was running it at 4.05 Ghz, but i droped it back down to 4 and forgot to drop the voltage to 1.35V that is stable, 1.1 is like the base voltage from what i can see, so i dont see how it can run at 4 with base voltage or 1.2, i'm still using the old bios as well, i dont know if that plays any role or not, been wanting to update the bios to the newest version, but i'm afraid of a blackout or a sudden loss of power that will brick my PC ( we've been getting some of those lately) so i've put it off.

3 minutes ago, Ichoumaz said:

well, i'm buying the cooler tomorrow hopefully, and i'll see how it looks from there, i just tried 4Ghz OC on 1.2V and the PC didnt even want to start, at 1.3 it started, but i cant do a render, visualize instantly crashes , i think i had it at 1.375 when i was running it at 4.05 Ghz, but i droped it back down to 4 and forgot to drop the voltage to 1.35V that is stable, 1.1 is like the base voltage from what i can see, so i dont see how it can run at 4 with base voltage or 1.2, i'm still using the old bios as well, i dont know if that plays any role or not, been wanting to update the bios to the newest version, but i'm afraid of a blackout or a sudden loss of power that will brick my PC ( we've been getting some of those lately) so i've put it off.

1.2v at 4.0Ghz the PC won't start! Wow, that's a real potato. Sorry for that.

8 minutes ago, Deli said:

1.2v at 4.0Ghz the PC won't start! Wow, that's a real potato. Sorry for that.

maybe my cooling is that shit?

i'm using bios OC btw, not ryzen master, dont know if that plays any role either

but i've checked online, and most people seem to be getting to be getting 4 to 4.2 at around the voltage of 1.35 to 1.375, the 1.1/1.2 ones are like lottery winners

1 minute ago, Ichoumaz said:

maybe my cooling is that shit?

i'm using bios OC btw, not ryzen master, dont know if that plays any role either

but i've checked online, and most people seem to be getting to be getting 4 to 4.2 at around the voltage of 1.35 to 1.375

Doesn't matter using BIOS or Ryzen Master. If you get the old stock, may be. However if your 3600 is more recent production, which the manufacturing process is more mature. Many 3600 can do 4.3 to 4.4Ghz under 1.32v. Mine can do 4.5Ghz at 1.32v.

Just now, Deli said:

Doesn't matter using BIOS or Ryzen Master. If you get the old stock, may be. However if your 3600 is more recent production, which the manufacturing process is more mature. Many 3600 can do 4.3 to 4.4Ghz under 1.32v. Mine can do 4.5Ghz at 1.32v.

ahhh ok, mine was the old stock for sure, bought it a few months after it was released, maybe i'll save up money and get the new 5600X when that comes out,but i dont know if i'll be able to feel a tangible difference in performance between even if i could clock it at a higher speed

17 minutes ago, Deli said:

i just tried to do a 4.2 all core and i left the Vcore voltage set on auto, and then i restarted the PC and went into the bios to check what voltage it chose, and it had put 1.425 volts, do you think my bios is kinda borked as well?, i think its the first one that enabled the 3k series on b450 mobos

1 hour ago, Ichoumaz said:

i just tried to do a 4.2 all core and i left the Vcore voltage set on auto, and then i restarted the PC and went into the bios to check what voltage it chose, and it had put 1.425 volts, do you think my bios is kinda borked as well?, i think its the first one that enabled the 3k series on b450 mobos

In Auto mode, the vcore will move up and down depends the work load. Run Cinebench R20 and check in Ryzen Master how high the vcore is. In single core work load, usually the vcore(for that particular core only) will pass 1.4v. However during all core boost, the voltage should drop to around 1.3v. If you see all core boost uses 1.425v. That's a bit scary.

13 hours ago, Deli said:

In Auto mode, the vcore will move up and down depends the work load. Run Cinebench R20 and check in Ryzen Master how high the vcore is. In single core work load, usually the vcore(for that particular core only) will pass 1.4v. However during all core boost, the voltage should drop to around 1.3v. If you see all core boost uses 1.425v. That's a bit scary.

yeah, i didnt even bother letting the PC bootup with those settings after i saw that, i just wanted to check what voltage my bios recommended to run it at 4.2, as soon as i saw that , i immediatly turned scaled it back down, i managed to get 4 at 1.33 i think, but i dont know what is wrong, if my CPU is really that much of a rotton potato, or if my bios is messed up or something

9 minutes ago, Ichoumaz said:

yeah, i didnt even bother letting the PC bootup with those settings after i saw that, i just wanted to check what voltage my bios recommended to run it at 4.2, as soon as i saw that , i immediatly turned scaled it back down, i managed to get 4 at 1.33 i think, but i dont know what is wrong, if my CPU is really that much of a rotton potato, or if my bios is messed up or something

Have you checked the LLC(load line calibration)in the BIOS? Instead of 'auto" you can set it "medium" or "high". This way can don't need to set the manual vcore so high. I won't be surprised you can drop the vcore by 0.03-0.04v while the CPU remains stable. And usually the CPU will run a little bit cooler as well(although not guarantee).

1 hour ago, Deli said:

Have you checked the LLC(load line calibration)in the BIOS? Instead of 'auto" you can set it "medium" or "high". This way can don't need to set the manual vcore so high. I won't be surprised you can drop the vcore by 0.03-0.04v while the CPU remains stable. And usually the CPU will run a little bit cooler as well(although not guarantee).

i have not done that, i'm not that experience with overclocking, just the basic stuff from what i saw on jay's videos on overclocking, i just set the ratio and Vcore, played with them a bit untill they were stable, but other than that, i havent check yet, i'm still waiting for my new cooler before i mess with it anymore, i should be getting it tomorrow and i'll do a bios update as well, maybe that will do something

On 10/18/2020 at 2:03 AM, Brok3n But who cares? said:

For an OC like that I'd at least expect you to be using an arctic freezer 34 duo. So, you have two options.

1- Just revert to normal clocks

2- Buy a better cooler. I suggestion looking at the Sycthe MUGEN 5/FUMA 2, thermalright macho rev b/c, arctic freezer 34 esports duo, or noctu nh-12us (at least I think it is that name lol). The FUMA 2 should perform the best of the bunch. Also, If you have a Case such as the NZXT H510- or really any NZXT case, or a case known for not have very good airflow, you may want to go for something like a phanteks p400a digital,  cooler master td500 mesh or Lian Li lancool 215 mesh- Itl'll improve temps by quite a bit.

can i know, when you meant normal clocks, what did you mean by that? my ryzen 5 3600 is also running really hot, the stock cooler wraith ramps up like a jet engine everytime, and i didnt change anything at all since i bought it. using an ASUS B450 mobo. what voltages should i use? i dont plan on overclocking. i'm a new pc owner so please have patience with me tho i do know the tech lingo 

3 hours ago, Iman NoobRyzenGuy said:

can i know, when you meant normal clocks, what did you mean by that? my ryzen 5 3600 is also running really hot, the stock cooler wraith ramps up like a jet engine everytime, and i didnt change anything at all since i bought it. using an ASUS B450 mobo. what voltages should i use? i dont plan on overclocking. i'm a new pc owner so please have patience with me tho i do know the tech lingo 

He was running it on an oc. So what do you mean by "really hot?" What temps under what load?

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

Typically a medium llc is best (there's a tradeoff beteween voltage droop and stability, not enough droop [high llc] and you get crashing, too much just ends up with higher temps)
Since you've had the cpu so long it's likely that it's degraded a bit from stock operation...
Try 1.22v with medium llc 3900, if that won't boot keep lowering the multiplier in 100mhz steps until it works, monitor voltage (hwinfo is good for this) at idle/low loads should read 1.22, under an all core load it should drop around 1.2v.
If you still have thermal problems you can lower voltage and all again, if you have headroom then increase.
Or there's CTR, a tool developed by 1usmus for overclocking ryzen (3000 series, support promised for 5000 series)

22 hours ago, Iman NoobRyzenGuy said:

my ryzen 5 3600 is also running really hot, the stock cooler wraith ramps up like a jet engine everytime, and i didnt change anything at all since i bought it

stock operation shoves voltage in, that's why it's hot. The only ways to change that (afaik) is to change it from stock operation

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

On 10/20/2020 at 4:59 AM, Brok3n But who cares? said:

He was running it on an oc. So what do you mean by "really hot?" What temps under what load?

a forced shutdown with windows giving me the "your pc is too hot" while playing Warzone. i couldn't check the temps but if its a forced shutdown i'm assuming it passed the 100 degrees celcius mark? 

11 hours ago, Cyracus said:

Typically a medium llc is best (there's a tradeoff beteween voltage droop and stability, not enough droop [high llc] and you get crashing, too much just ends up with higher temps)
Since you've had the cpu so long it's likely that it's degraded a bit from stock operation...
Try 1.22v with medium llc 3900, if that won't boot keep lowering the multiplier in 100mhz steps until it works, monitor voltage (hwinfo is good for this) at idle/low loads should read 1.22, under an all core load it should drop around 1.2v.
If you still have thermal problems you can lower voltage and all again, if you have headroom then increase.
Or there's CTR, a tool developed by 1usmus for overclocking ryzen (3000 series, support promised for 5000 series)

stock operation shoves voltage in, that's why it's hot. The only ways to change that (afaik) is to change it from stock operation

so what voltages do you recommend me to try if i do not plan to OC? 

On 10/17/2020 at 7:45 AM, Ichoumaz said:

Hello.

i've been having some issues with my thermals any time i do anything with my PC that puts my CPU at 100% usage, and i want to know if something is wrong, or if this is the case for most people that have this cpu.

Ok, so i'm running my ryzen 5 3600 at 4Ghz overclock on all cores at 1.375V and i'm using the stock cooler, i just rendered a 3D model and used my CPU, and it got really hot, i'm talking 97 C°, and it even spiked untill 102 C° at one time, and i got an overheat error crash once, and the PC just rebooted, anyone else experiencing something like this on their ryzen 5 3600 with a stock cooler ? or is something bad with my mounting/thermal paste (i'm using the HC -151 thermal paste, i've attached a picture of it that was in my dad's box), i'm looking into either buying a new CPU cooler, currently looking at the xigmatek windpower wp 1264 air cooler, it looks like the best bang for the buck, and stock of the more reputable brands like cooler master are low, i found a hyper H410R, but it has a red LED, and i dont want that. but thats besides the point.

Any idea what i can do to troubleshoot this before i go out and buy another cooler? or if anyone can tell me what their max temps at 100% load looks like so i can compare, that would be good for comparisson

Ordinateur Graisse Thermique Pâte HC 151 Silicone Composé HC151 Pour CPU  GPU VGA Chip RAM LED IC Radiateur De Refroidissement, Refroidisseur,  radiateur | AliExpress

I've had similar issues because I installed newer and faster RAM.  Not sure what is causing your predicament.