Xbox series X VS £800 gaming PC

_lucalink

Hi,

I am wondering what will be better, an £800 gaming PC or Xbox series X for AAA gaming. 

2 minutes ago, _lucalink said:

Hi,

I am wondering what will be better, an £800 gaming PC or Xbox series X for AAA gaming. 

Who knows I sure don't wait for launch/reviews.

That would be an unfair comparison to make considering the Xbox series X is nearly half that at 449£ and it includes a controller as well.

You want an upgrade path and free multiplayer? PC.

You want couch gaming? Console.

The performance difference isn't usually a relevant discussion, and with the newer consoles more like PCs than ever in their composition, they're gonna be pretty similar.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Console (Games) prices are going up (not all, but many)
Over time.....with all the other walls you have to pay past... I don't know how good it'll be on the bank (longterm) vs a Modernly enough built PC.

Esp considering Storage is a big deal now....

Why 800....
Also.. in due time, while your hardware is fixed, PCs can be built in another 12 months time that destroy the PC you build today... (maybe a slight higher cost, not always if your smart with deals)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

11 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Console (Games) prices are going up (not all, but many)
Over time.....with all the other walls you have to pay past... I don't know how good it'll be on the bank (longterm) vs a Modernly enough built PC.

Esp considering Storage is a big deal now....

Why 800....
Also.. in due time, while your hardware is fixed, PCs can be built in another 12 months time that destroy the PC you build today... (maybe a slight higher cost, not always if your smart with deals)

£800 as I have £1000 altogether and I need the remaining £200 for peripherals. Main reason for comparison is that the pc will have to be relatively portable which usually drives cost to performance up.

10 hours ago, DutchGuyTom said:

It really depends on how you enjoy your media.

Objectively, from a pure and simple cost to gaming performance, the XSX will be better.

In the long term, however, a PC may be a more economical option if you:

(1) upgrade incrementally and you use your components for as long as possible. For example, DDR4 memory should be future proof for a little while and hard drives, power supplies, peripherals, and PC cases can usually outlive any console; 

(2) purchase games when they are on sale (happens a lot more on PC) and you purchase older titles and indie games;

(3) use the PC for work/school instead of a laptop; and

(4) already have a monitor

That said, Microsoft is being great with backwards compatibility so I think it's going to be tougher than ever for PC gaming to compete. PCs are also more expensive if you have to buy all the peripherals and don't want to cheap out on them.

Finally, you should consider how you enjoy your tech. For me personally, it is 40% actually playing games and 60% tinkering with the hardware and software. So I get a lot more out of my PC than just gaming. If you're more the "I just want to plug and play" type, I would say 100% you should get the XSX.

I don't already own a monitor as I would be playing on a TV with the Xbox. As I said above in this comment I have to transport the pc weekly between houses so has to be portable and it can get annoying setting up a full pc setup every week. I do enjoy tinkering with hardware very much but the above is reason considering something else.

7 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Do you have a gaming PC right now that's halfway decent?

I do not have any setup.

18 hours ago, _lucalink said:

As I said above in this comment I have to transport the pc weekly between houses so has to be portable and it can get annoying setting up a full pc setup every week. I do enjoy tinkering with hardware very much but the above is reason considering something else.

I do not have any setup.

XBox Series X for sure then. You're not going to be able to build a better PC for £800, not even close, especially not a small mini-ITX one that would be as easy to move as the XBox Series X. Though personally I'd lean PS5 over XBox Series X because of Demon's Souls and the upcoming Horizon and God of War games. Though Microsoft buying out Bethesda makes it a much tougher decision, that would suck buying a PS5 and then not being able to play Elder Scrolls VI on it, and Microsoft would be shitheads to allow that game to be published on PS5. Though Microsoft can often be shitheads, so maybe・・・

7 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

XBox Series X for sure then. You're not going to be able to build a better PC for £800, not even close, especially not a small mini-ITX one that would be as easy to move as the XBox Series X. Though personally I'd lean PS5 over XBox Series X because of Demon's Souls and the upcoming Horizon and God of War games. Though Microsoft buying out Bethesda makes it a much tougher decision, that would suck buying a PS5 and then not being able to play Elder Scrolls VI on it, and Microsoft would be shitheads to allow that game to be published on PS5. Though Microsoft can often be shitheads, so maybe・・・

Well, loosing sales on major triple A games like Elder Scrolls, Fallout, DooM etc etc is not something that Microsoft wants. Almost 100m Playstation users is not pocket change. I guessing, non of this huge titles will become xbox/pc exclusives. It's all gona boil down to some unique indie or average mass produced games.

Then again, i might be wrong.

On 10/18/2020 at 5:08 AM, centurion_08 said:

Well, loosing sales on major triple A games like Elder Scrolls, Fallout, DooM etc etc is not something that Microsoft wants. Almost 100m Playstation users is not pocket change. I guessing, non of this huge titles will become xbox/pc exclusives. It's all gona boil down to some unique indie or average mass produced games.

Then again, i might be wrong.

I don't know. Think of how many copies of Forza, Gears, or Halo they could have sold on PS4. I don't expect them to just throw away PS5 projects Zenimax's subsidiaries are currently working on, but I'd be pretty surprised to see Bethesda etc titles coming out on PS5 by the second half of the gen. The name of the game in consoles is to have exclusives to drive people to your platform so you can take a 30% cut off every FIFA game sold, every Madden game, every NBA 2k, every COD, every Fortnite microtransaction, etc. Putting Elder Scrolls VI as an XBox exclusive would go a long ways towards making XBox the most desired platform on the market. And now they want people to buy into Gamepass so they have another stream of recurrent income from a sizable fraction of people who buy the console, which is a great way to combat buyers like me who just wait for a game to get cheap and buy then. I don't see good reason for Microsoft to not hoard their first party franchises just like Sony does. It should make the same business sense for Microsoft that it has for Sony this generation.