Can you help me choose a power supply?

Cifer

Hi,

I'm in the process of buying a power supply for my system, but don't know how qualitative it should be ;
System : R5 3600, 1660super, HDD, SSD, 2x8 gigs of RAM ;

Wattage-wise, 450W should be enough, but what tier should I be picking from for such a build ?

Tier C? Tier B? Tier A?

Thank you for your time

I helped a friend with a build similar to yours and he went with this, however that has increased in price since. However this is a very good power supply I have used over and over and 600w would leave a small amount of room for upgrading.  While 500 should run your system, the fan might be running a lot so you may run into lots of fan noise.

Sorry I probably edited my post. Refresh plz. Build Specs Below.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
    32 GB (2X8) Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CAS 16
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
    Sabrent 1 TB TLC PCI 4.0 NVMe M.2
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
    MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34" UWQHD
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

15 hours ago, mr fobs said:

I helped a friend with a build similar to yours and he went with this, however that has increased in price since. However this is a very good power supply I have used over and over and 600w would leave a small amount of room for upgrading.  While 500 should run your system, the fan might be running a lot so you may run into lots of fan noise.

Thanks for the input !
According to the tier list, the EVGA BQ is a tier C PSU?

-------------------------------------------

With more research, I have found more options ; which one of these do you guys advise me to buy ?
- ASUS ROG Strix 650W : Tier A , $206
- Cooler Master V850 V2 : Tier A*, $216
- Cooler Master MWE Gold : Tier B, $166
- Cooler Master MWE Bronze 550W V2 : $97

However this is a very good power supply

BQ really isnt a "very good" powersupply......

helped a friend with a build similar to yours and he went with this, however that has increased in price since

Cx550 is a better PSU than the Cxm. And both are better than the BQ. 

12 hours ago, Cifer said:

With more research, I have found more options ; which one of these do you guys advise me to buy ?
- ASUS ROG Strix 650W : Tier A , $206
- Cooler Master V850 V2 : Tier A*, $216
- Cooler Master MWE Gold : Tier B, $166
- Cooler Master MWE Bronze 550W V2 : $97

MWE bronze V2. 

The others are really not worth the 50%+ increase in price. 

I assume there are no offerings from Antec, Bitfenix or bequiet. Tier B or higher offcourse. 

16 hours ago, mr fobs said:

However this is a very good power supply I have used over and over and 600w would leave a small amount of room for upgrading.

Wouldn't call the BQ "very good", but it is okay. It should run OP's 3600 and 1660S without problems, but it wouldn't necessarily be my first pick.

16 hours ago, mr fobs said:

While 500 should run your system, the fan might be running a lot so you may run into lots of fan noise.

OP's build won't pull even 250W under full load, but regardless, the fan ramps up and down according to temperature, not load percentage. 

If you want a quieter PSU you should be looking for one with a better fan/fan curve, not higher wattage output.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

@GoldenLag @Mateyyy Thank you so much for the help!

I was considering the higher end units to stay safe, and didn't know what to expect with the MWE Bronze V2 ;

I have found a deal for the MWE Bronze V2 450W full range $69, should I just go for it? (Do you have any idea on how loud that thing can get?)
For quite some time I have had to cope with my prebuilt's PSU (delta) that sounds like a jet engine under all loads, and I would rather pay more to get something relatively silent ;

If that thing is really loud I'll be buying the ASUS ROG Strix 650W instead, this one should remain dead silent ;

34 minutes ago, Cifer said:

that thing is really loud I'll be buying the ASUS ROG Strix 650W instead, this one should remain dead silent

Id recommend against the strix. As its really a underwhealming PSU. Especially for 206$. When its more like a 120$ unit at best (compared to other offerings)

Are there no other offerings?

36 minutes ago, Cifer said:

have found a deal for the MWE Bronze V2 450W full range $69, should I just go for it? (Do you have any idea on how loud that thing can get?)

Its not a perticularly noisy unit. Other fans in your system will be louder anyways. 

Its a tossup, but 550w allows you to go second hand with more powerhungry GPUs. 

@GoldenLag Thanks again for the help, much appreciated !

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

Id recommend against the strix. As its really a underwhealming PSU. Especially for 206$. When its more like a 120$ unit at best (compared to other offerings)

Here everything is much more expensive than the north-american and european markets ;
Sadly, that kind of pricing is normal ;

Its not a perticularly noisy unit. Other fans in your system will be louder anyways.

Its a tossup, but 550w allows you to go second hand with more powerhungry GPUs. 

Since the MWE Bronze V2 isn't particularly noisy, I'll just go with it then ;
If I ever upgrade the system, I'll be buying a high end PSU (something like an RMx), I don't really need the extra wattage (upgrading with second hand components is a no-go here, especially when you know that most people use inadequate PSUs to power their high-end GPUs)

Are there no other offerings?

Tier A and B ? HX1000i $351 - Supernova G2 1000W $327 - AX1600i $664 - Cooler Master V1000 $298 - ASUS ROG Thor 850W $347 / 1200W $433

43 minutes ago, Cifer said:

Here everything is much more expensive than the north-american and european markets ;
Sadly, that kind of pricing is normal ;

Still doesnt make it a better deal sadly. 

44 minutes ago, Cifer said:

ASUS ROG Thor 850W $347 / 1200W $433

Wow, thats just very dissapointing pricing. 

AX1600i $664

Thats pretty normal pricing for that unit actually. 

Cooler Master V1000 $298

Depending on which V-series, thats an ok deal (the new platinum V-series, not the old one or the Gold rated one)

45 minutes ago, Cifer said:

Tier A and B ? HX1000i $351 - Supernova G2 1000W $327 - AX1600i $664 - Cooler Master V1000 $298 - ASUS ROG Thor 850W $347 / 1200W $433

Ah, thats a rather limiting linup.... Was hoping for something like a Bitfenix Whisper M. 

47 minutes ago, Cifer said:

Since the MWE Bronze V2 isn't particularly noisy, I'll just go with it then ;

Yeah, its a decent unit that will be good enough for most things that arent high end Ampere comboed with high end Intel consumer stuff.