Can't get 60 hz on my 4k monitor through a dock

ShrDc

Hi!

I have a Dell XPS 13 (4k screen) and I'm trying to connect it to a monitor through a dock. The laptop connects to the dock through Thunderbolt 3, and then the dock connects to the monitor with Display Port.

I can't get 60hz on the screen, unless I lower the resolution. Now I know that display port should be able to do that, and so does thunderbolt 3. So is the dock the problem? Is the problem that the thunderbolt 3 connection shares bandwidth with whatever else connects to the dock? Or am I missing something? The gpu in the laptop is an Intel Iris plus. I thought that maybe the Display Adapter wasn't strong enough, but I can't get to it 4k@60 even when it's only on one display, so I guess it's not the problem.

Thanks in advance!

its possible the dock is "allocating" bandwidth for other ports.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

its possible the dock is "allocating" bandwidth for other ports.

Can I do anything about it? Will a new dock maybe help me, and let me do 4k @ 60?

Just now, ShrDc said:

Can I do anything about it? Will a new dock maybe help me, and let me do 4k @ 60?

what dock do you have right now?

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

what dock do you have right now?

Unfortunately I do not know exactly, all I know is that it's also Dell's.

1 minute ago, ShrDc said:

Unfortunately I do not know exactly, all I know is that it's also Dell's.

what ports are on it? Is there a sticker that says like P/N: xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx?

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

what ports are on it? Is there a sticker that says like P/N: xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx?

I do not have it right now, it has 2 display port, hdmi port, 2 usb 3, and maybe audio I think

1 minute ago, ShrDc said:

I do not have it right now, it has 2 display port, hdmi port, 2 usb 3, and maybe audio I think

single or dual tb3 input?

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

single or dual tb3 input?

tb3?

Just now, ShrDc said:

tb3?

thunderbolt 3. THough some digging on the dell fourm looks like it is "allocated" bandwidth, so you wouold need a adptor for 4k 60.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

thunderbolt 3. THough some digging on the dell fourm looks like it is "allocated" bandwidth, so you wouold need a adptor for 4k 60.

Ok, thank you

7 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

if I get an adapter of type c to Display Port, does it matter what cable do I get? Or what adapter? Or they all should work?

4 hours ago, ShrDc said:

Hi!

I have a Dell XPS 13 (4k screen) and I'm trying to connect it to a monitor through a dock. The laptop connects to the dock through Thunderbolt 3, and then the dock connects to the monitor with Display Port.

I can't get 60hz on the screen, unless I lower the resolution. Now I know that display port should be able to do that, and so does thunderbolt 3. So is the dock the problem? Is the problem that the thunderbolt 3 connection shares bandwidth with whatever else connects to the dock? Or am I missing something? The gpu in the laptop is an Intel Iris plus. I thought that maybe the Display Adapter wasn't strong enough, but I can't get to it 4k@60 even when it's only on one display, so I guess it's not the problem.

Thanks in advance!

its probably the dock or your one of your cables 

On 10/16/2020 at 9:14 PM, Elad.Evron said:

its probably the dock or your one of your cables 

Yeah, it was the dock. I bought an adapter for type c to display port, to connect the monitor straight to the laptop, and it works now. also שלום

23 minutes ago, ShrDc said:

Yeah, it was the dock. I bought an adapter for type c to display port, to connect the monitor straight to the laptop, and it works now. also שלום

random hebrew words are random but שלום