BEST load balancing software for Windows 10??

windowsdan

Hi,

Looking for the best load balancing software for Windows 10 that can replace a very old Dispatch Proxy program I use to load balance two NICs to combine 2 x WAN connections with two different ISPs.

At the moment I can use this fine but it runs though NPM in the command line and does throw out a lot of errors these days. Looking for something I can turn on when needed and off when not. Do not want a physical solution as I don't want to spend the money on enterprise equipment. This is only for my apartment.

I have 2 x FTT(x) connections both at 1Gbs down with one at 1Gbs up and the other at 120Mbs up. These currently run into a switch with a multi-gig port to send the 2.5Gbs traffic to another multi-gig switch. I then have 2 x 1Gbs connections into 2 x 1Gbs LAN ports on the PC. They are configured in different subnets and only one of them provides DHCP (My main subnet). I cannot do anything that involves changing one of the LANs IP config as I have VMs running though it with static IPs in that range.

Any ideas?

spacer.png

9 hours ago, imreloadin said:

Wants an enterprise solution without spending enterprise money...sounds like every IT department I've ever worked for😂

I once witnessed an IT department for a very well paid law firm attempting to do data transfers to newly deployed laptops, using a residential grade router/switch.

We ended up having to stay until 4 am at one point because one of the lawyers ignored the IT departments very clear policy that personal music was not to be kept on the laptops. That person had something like 80 gigs worth. Eventually the sysadmin figured it out and deleted all of that persons music.

It was the most gloriously ruthless application of IT policy I have ever seen. He did not hesitate, didn't call anyone, just deleted it without a second thought. Then we all went home for the night.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Forget the software, get a load balancing router and connect to the 2 routers to it.

This product:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-R470T-Balance-Broadband-Business/dp/B004UC9V8Q

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

That person had something like 80 gigs worth.

Oh and I bet that lawyer obtained all that music legally😂

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

It was the most gloriously ruthless application of IT policy I have ever seen. He did not hesitate, didn't call anyone, just deleted it without a second thought. Then we all went home for the night.

Those are the best policies in my opinion. Shows that the IT department means business and isn't just a "yes man" team like so many end users think they are.

None of this has answered my question and unfortunately the router you posted a link for would not work.

I have single CAT 6 cable from the two ISP endpoints to the equipment so would need at least 2.5Gbs over that connection ... that router shown does not contain any multi-gig ports.

If I went the hardware route I would need a dual WAN router that were both Gig and at least one multi-gig LAN port and it be capable of at least 2Gbs of throughput ... I haven't found one of these.

spacer.png

7 hours ago, imreloadin said:

Oh and I bet that lawyer obtained all that music legally😂

Those are the best policies in my opinion. Shows that the IT department means business and isn't just a "yes man" team like so many end users think they are.

Usually you get that kind of team because management doesn't have the balls to stand up for the IT team.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Yeah none of of this is helping. 

Anyone with any suggestions or even a hardware solution that isn't 4 figures in cost? 

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, windowsdan said:

Yeah none of of this is helping. 

Anyone with any suggestions or even a hardware solution that isn't 4 figures in cost? 

spacer.png

I did post about getting a load balancing router which can be bought for £40

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-R470T-Balance-Broadband-Business/dp/B004UC9V8Q

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

8 minutes ago, windowsdan said:

But as I said it is no good. 

I need multi-gig output to run 2.5Gbs over single Cat6 for some of the network run. 

Oh, my mistake. Unfortunately I think you're correct, there isn't anything affordable unless you go onto eBay..

On 10/16/2020 at 12:47 AM, windowsdan said:

Hi,

Looking for the best load balancing software for Windows 10 that can replace a very old Dispatch Proxy program I use to load balance two NICs to combine 2 x WAN connections with two different ISPs.

At the moment I can use this fine but it runs though NPM in the command line and does throw out a lot of errors these days. Looking for something I can turn on when needed and off when not. Do not want a physical solution as I don't want to spend the money on enterprise equipment. This is only for my apartment.

I have 2 x FTT(x) connections both at 1Gbs down with one at 1Gbs up and the other at 120Mbs up. These currently run into a switch with a multi-gig port to send the 2.5Gbs traffic to another multi-gig switch. I then have 2 x 1Gbs connections into 2 x 1Gbs LAN ports on the PC. They are configured in different subnets and only one of them provides DHCP (My main subnet). I cannot do anything that involves changing one of the LANs IP config as I have VMs running though it with static IPs in that range.

Any ideas?

spacer.png

When I was messing with multiple inputs to try and get a single "better" speed, after dabbling with Dispatch for a while I landed on Speedify. It's not perfect, but it does do what you want.

• 7 months later...

@windowsdan, I believe the solution should be actually quite easy, although I haven't tested by myself.

Buy a dual WAN router as previously recommended, like the Ubiquiti ER-X, I KNOW, YOU NEED 2.5GIG EHTERNET AND THESE ROUTERS ARE 10/100/100

No worries, you can make use of a little Windows10 feature called "NIC teaming", you can find it here in another post:

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1003888-nic-teaming-windows-10-works/

Basically, you would have to get a second network card for your computer/server/whatever with at leat 2 ethernet ports, this way you would end up connecting 3 ports from the workstation to the router, and 2 ISP services to the remaining ports on the router.

You will configure router as load balancing the ports with the ISP links, while the other 3 ports must be configured as NIC teaming" on both router and PC. Of course, this solution seems better if you put a managed switch between the router and the pc, but never the less.

The ER-X router is cheap, you can find it for like 60 USD on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202352162672?epid=22033703788&hash=item2f1d20f770:g:MCUAAOSwCypf90Qq

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274527664598?hash=item3feb1fb9d6:g:~-0AAOSwc7NfgPkM

I hope this solution is good for you