this is a idea for a Nass

bitpoke

Yes, but also no,

do you need 10Gb/s and a wifi motherboard?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

it is the cheapest mini itx motherboard and 10gb so you can get work of it. 

3 minutes ago, bitpoke said:

It would make more sense to add one more drive so you can run a raid 1 configuration to keep your data if 2 drives died

The geek himself.

4 minutes ago, bitpoke said:

too expensive for a nas build, get the cheapest a micro atx.

and you don't need that ssd.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

its a bit more, but the cpu needs to not suck for a nas, and that 220g wont cut it. the 3400g is much better. you were overpaying for the psu. also, you would want some ram in dual channel for it, b/c afiak it makes it a bit faster. so I switched to that. as @Dawson Wehage suggested, I put 4 6tb drives for the nice raid 1.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

the reson is for the operating system.

why dose the cpu need to not suck?

3 minutes ago, bitpoke said:

the reson is for the operating system.

why dose the cpu need to not suck?

freenas doesnt need a ssd, and can run off of a usb, though a like 16gb partition on the raid array ahould be fine. a good cpu will decrease freeses and the like for the nas, from what I can tell. btw, you need to quote people for them to get the notif.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

freenas doesnt need a ssd, and can run off of a usb, though a like 16gb partition on the raid array ahould be fine. a good cpu will decrease freeses and the like for the nas, from what I can tell. btw, you need to quote people for them to get the notif.

that cpu should be fine for a nas, but for that budget, a i3 is probably a much better bet here than the 3400g and cheaper.  Freenas really doesn't need much cpu, esp when limited by hdds for basically everything io related.

Id go with those 10tb drives, try to go fewer bigger drives if you can. Maybe start with 2x12 or 16tb drives, and add anouther pair as needed.

12 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

its a bit more, but the cpu needs to not suck for a nas, and that 220g wont cut it.

I disagree, i think 220g is perfect for NAS, it's idle is very low.

You don't need that much cpu power only for file sharing.

2 cores is enough, most consumer nas running with Atom or ARM.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

if you need more cores go with a ryzen 3 2200g will be cheaper then ryzen 5 but better then 220G

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Athlon 220GE 3.4 GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($69.00 @ PC Byte) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME A320I-K/CSM Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  ($125.00 @ PLE Computers) 
Memory: G.Skill Value 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 CL19 Memory  ($45.00 @ Umart) 
Storage: Seagate Exos X14 12 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($444.40 @ Newegg Australia) 
Storage: Seagate Exos X14 12 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($444.40 @ Newegg Australia) 
Case: Cooler Master Elite 110 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($67.30 @ Device Deal) 
Power Supply: Corsair CV 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($65.00 @ PC Byte) 
Wired Network Adapter: Asus XG-C100C PCIe x4 10 Gbit/s Network Adapter  ($148.00 @ Umart) 
Total: $1408.10
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-15 12:13 AEDT+1100

Clean it up:

- A320 support Athlon 220g, no need for b450.

- 1 single channel 8gb is enough. 1 free slot if needed in the future.

- 2x12TB RAID 1 instead of 4x6, less complications.

- 450w psu is enough.

i like the idea but i went with the hard driver because they are the best value for nass drives and get and ssd for operating system or as a cache. 

I've run FreeNAS for a few years, and personally I'd go 16GB of ram with that much storage. Plus if you decide you want to run any jails in the future you'll be glad you have it. 

Next, unless you're transferring huge files frequently (5+ times a week) or have a ton of users I wouldn't worry about 10Gb networking. Remember, if you go 10Gb on the NAS then you'll also need a 10Gb switch, and 10Gb networking on any computer using the NAS to make full use of it. That can add up quick. IMO waiting a few seconds longer isn't worth $300+ for personal use.

Finally, I'd run (and do run) FreeNAS off an SSD. It's not needed, but the reliability is nice. Before switching to an SSD I blew through 3 USB drives in a year, all from good companies. I have not had a problem since switching to an SSD.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

Is this thread a question, for feedback? 

Otherwise it needs more detail about requirement and budget...otherwise this thread should just be closed if it's a statement. 

Also the network card "Asus XG-C100C PCIe x4 10 Gbit/s Network Adapter" has compatibility issues outside of Windows. These cards like a few other 10Gb cards rely on an Aquantia driver...which may or may not be in FreeBSD, and then you also need a build of FreeNAS which has that latest FreeBSD build. 

The 750W PSU is well overkill for this system. You could easily save $$ here. Also that case is ATX and the PSU is a BTX. If you want a smaller PSU, i'd get like a 450W SFX and use an SFX to ATX adapter. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

the reason a power supply is for efficacy and that was the cheapest for the efficacy.

Edited by bitpoke

2 hours ago, bitpoke said:

the reason a power supply is for efficacy and that was the cheapest for the efficacy.

So you're going to pay an extra $100+ for an extra 2% efficiency over for example a 500W 80% Gold SFX? Considering that system has a draw of around 90W on max load, given its a file server and will mostly be idle around 40W you're talking approx $3/year saving. 25c/month.....it would take you 20 years of constantly running for that to matter.  

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA