LG claims Edge Lit TVs are better than Direct Lit (no Full Array)

mavoha6730

Does this make any sense to you? 

Edge Lit vs. Direct Lit

As with Full Array televisions, Direct Lit TVs use several rows of LEDs placed behind the entire surface of the screen. However, Direct Lit televisions don't use local dimming, which is a key factor in how Full Array TVs are able to produce deep, uniform blacks. Because of this, pictures produced on Direct Lit TVs tend to be lower quality, lacking in depth, and produce more gray tones—rather than deep, true blacks. And although Edge Lit TVs don't produce blacks on the same level as Full Array televisions, they do use local dimming technology to create deep, nuanced images that go far beyond what Direct Lit televisions are capable of.

Source: https://www.lg.com/us/experience-tvs/edge-lit-vs-full-array

How can Direct Lit be worse if more expensive than Edge Lit? I understand that Edge Lit has local dimming compared to Direct Lit, but it doesn't have black uniformity and has notorious light bleedings around the edges.

No.  Edge lit TVs can’t do local dimming. An edge lit panel uses a diffusion grid to make an even light.  If on edge led was turned off it would not produce much local dimming.  It would mostly just make the whole screen dimmer.  It is interesting that there are full array panels without local dimming though.  I suspect  there is likely next to no difference between a full array/no dimming panel and an edge lit panel.  A weird move, full array with no local dimming. Full array could be worse I guess if it produces a less even light than edge array.  That claim of local dimming for edge lit though strikes me  as if not bunk, then near bunk

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

19 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

No.  Edge lit TVs can’t do local dimming. An edge lit panel uses a diffusion grid to make an even light.  If on edge led was turned off it would not produce much local dimming.  It would mostly just make the whole screen dimmer.  It is interesting that there are full array panels without local dimming though.  I suspect  there is likely next to no difference between a full array/no dimming panel and an edge lit panel.  A weird move, full array with no local dimming. Full array could be worse I guess if it produces a less even light than edge array.  That claim of local dimming for edge lit though strikes me  as if not bunk, then near bunk

Edge-lit will have worse dirty screen effect as the light gets dimmer towards the middle of the screen.  Uniformity should be much better with full lit.

The claims are weird, because edge-lit dimming is junk as it will impact half the width of the screen.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

18 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That claim of local dimming for edge lit though strikes me  as if not bunk, then near bunk

Idk honestly... I wonder: if Edge Lit is so good, then why I can't find a single TV using it on LG website other than the small cheap ones?

5 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Edge-lit will have worse dirty screen effect as the light gets dimmer towards the middle of the screen.  Uniformity should be much better with full lit.

The claims are weird, because edge-lit dimming is junk as it will impact half the width of the screen.

Much better might be an overstatement. It’s sort of amazing how well the diffraction gratings work.  Somewhat better I might take though.  For rear array to be worse it would have to have inconsistent illumination from the LEDs. We seem to agree that some marketeer or another seems to have overstepped themselves.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 minutes ago, mavoha6730 said:

Idk honestly... I wonder: if Edge Lit is so good, then why I can't find a single TV using it on LG website other than the small cheap ones?

Edge lit is old.  Its also cheap.  It’s main advantage is it had a much longer life than earlier lighting types.  It’s not terrible though.  Full array with no dimming wouldn’t have a lot of advantage.  Some perhaps in the center of the screen.  The difraction grating can help smooth out differences in illumination strength from the LEDs.  Allows for cheaper parts to work. 

56 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Much better might be an overstatement. It’s sort of amazing how well the diffraction gratings work.  Somewhat better I might take though.  For rear array to be worse it would have to have inconsistent illumination from the LEDs. We seem to agree that some marketeer or another seems to have overstepped themselves.

Well it does depend on screen size, my edge lit 47" Samsung the picture looks absolutely garbage now as those diffusers tend to separate from the screen presumably due to heating/cooling cycles, the colour literally changes across the screen like its cool white at the edges and warm white in the middle.

Smaller screens I've never really noticed a problem.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

13 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Well it does depend on screen size, my edge lit 47" Samsung the picture looks absolutely garbage now as those diffusers tend to separate from the screen presumably due to heating/cooling cycles, the colour literally changes across the screen like its cool white at the edges and warm white in the middle.

Smaller screens I've never really noticed a problem.

47” is a big screen.  Most of the edge lit stuff I’ve seen is 24”. I could see how things might get kind of dim in the middle with a larger screen.