Cloned Boot Drive Isn't Booting

Corwin

So I finally upgraded my cpu and motherboard and got an NVME ssd. I wanted to clone my 256gb boot ssd to the new 1tb NVME so I can swap the 256gb for another 1tb ssd in the future. I used Macrium Reflect and it seemed to work fine, all the same files were showing up on the new drive but it won't boot when I change the boot order in the bios. It will start booting and get past the motherboard logo and the windows logo but after that the screen goes dark and nothing else happens. One time it came up with a screen about troubleshooting windows not saving properly. I tried updating the bios but that didn't help, not sure what else I should try. Should I try out a paid cloning software like Acronis? The motherboard supports NVME boot drives and supports this NVME ssd so I don't assume it's an issue with the ssd but I still have time to return it and get a different one if that's a good idea. 

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Asrock B550M-ITX/AC, Samsung 860 QVO 250GB (Old boot drive), WD Blue SN550 1TB (New boot drive) 

19 minutes ago, Corwin said:

So I finally upgraded my cpu and motherboard and got an NVME ssd. I wanted to clone my 256gb boot ssd to the new 1tb NVME so I can swap the 256gb for another 1tb ssd in the future. I used Macrium Reflect and it seemed to work fine, all the same files were showing up on the new drive but it won't boot when I change the boot order in the bios. It will start booting and get past the motherboard logo and the windows logo but after that the screen goes dark and nothing else happens. One time it came up with a screen about troubleshooting windows not saving properly. I tried updating the bios but that didn't help, not sure what else I should try. Should I try out a paid cloning software like Acronis? The motherboard supports NVME boot drives and supports this NVME ssd so I don't assume it's an issue with the ssd but I still have time to return it and get a different one if that's a good idea. 

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Asrock B550M-ITX/AC, Samsung 860 QVO 250GB (Old boot drive), WD Blue SN550 1TB (New boot drive) 

MiniTool Partition Wizard will clone it properly, and it's free.

When you change motherboards you should ALWAYS do a clean install properly.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

23 minutes ago, TehDwonz said:

MiniTool Partition Wizard will clone it properly, and it's free.

Note that you need to use the older version 11, current v12 removed drive cloning from the free version. 

Do you have another drive in the system (HDD)? If so it's possible the Windows bootloader was put on that instead of the SSD when initially installed.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

13 hours ago, Enderman said:

When you change motherboards you should ALWAYS do a clean install properly.

I think I'll end up doing a clean install and then copy everything else over

13 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Note that you need to use the older version 11, current v12 removed drive cloning from the free version. 

Do you have another drive in the system (HDD)? If so it's possible the Windows bootloader was put on that instead of the SSD when initially installed.

yeah I have a hdd that I think still has Windows 7 on it and the boot ssd has the Win 10