Should I just buy a 2070?

regoman

I know the title sounds ridiclous just listen. I used to have a GTX 1060 recently it has stopped working after a long time so I haven't really been gaming. I want to upgrade my GPU to a 3070 or 3080 graphics card since a couple of months. I didn't manage to get a 3080 on release and they keep delaying the 3070. I'm getting pretty impaitent and thinking about just buying a 2070 super espically since school has started. I want a GPU thats going to be able to keep up with the new game releases. My question is on how huge of a difference a 2070 super would be compared to a 3070 and if its worth waiting. I mainly play 1080p shooter games but 1440p is cool also. 

Isn't the 3070 being released at the end of the month, right after AMD shows their new GPUs?

Considering the difference between the 2080 and the 3080, it might be worth waiting.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

Isn't the 3070 being released at the end of the month, right after AMD shows their new GPUs?

Considering the difference between the 2080 and the 3080, it might be worth waiting.

Yeah as long as they aren't snatched up in the first 2 minutes

2 minutes ago, regoman said:

I know the title sounds ridiclous just listen. I used to have a GTX 1060 recently it has stopped working after a long time so I haven't really been gaming. I want to upgrade my GPU to a 3070 or 3080 graphics card since a couple of months. I didn't manage to get a 3080 on release and they keep delaying the 3070. I'm getting pretty impaitent and thinking about just buying a 2070 super espically since school has started. I want a GPU thats going to be able to keep up with the new game releases. My question is on how huge of a difference a 2070 super would be compared to a 3070 and if its worth waiting. I mainly play 1080p shooter games but 1440p is cool also. 

A 2070/2070S is pretty bad value. If you wanted to upgrade, I'd go for a lower-end gpu to tide you over, or for a 5700xt, if you wanted it nowYou could also wait for AMD"s Big navi GPUS to launch, which will probably go on store shelves within 2 months. You could also go Used, and buy a used 1080ti, 1080, 2080S, something like that for a reduced price. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

unless you get one for a bargain then i would wait for the 3070

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

6 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Yes but 18 days is a lot for no guarantee that ill actually get one.

4 minutes ago, regoman said:

New absolutly not. Used? Sure I mean you can get gtx 1080's for around 200 which is pretty darn great (or vega 56/64) and that would be pretty darn good value.

To add onto my last post you can easily find 1060 level performance cards for well under 100 if you look a bit and just use that till the cards come in stock again and sell it on. A r9 290(x) for example is a great value card and kinda doesn't shift much in price anymore. powerhungry tho hence why it's so cheap.

Honestly I say just wait. I’m currently waiting to try to grab a 3070 after missing out on the 3080. In just hoping that they will be able to solve some of the bot problems (probably not but..)

They/Them

rgb go woosh woosh fps higher

Ryzen 5 3600X  | Asus ROG Strix B550-E | Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 Twin Edge | 32G DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro | Corsair RM750x | Corsair 4000D Airflow

Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red | Ducky Mecha Mini | Glorious Model D-

Nintendo Switch | Xbox One

Advice: If you're wanting a GPU now, but you want a 30-series card for sure, buy an eVGA card from an authorized retailer, then you can register for Step-Up after you get it, for a 30-series card.  This will allow you to have a 20-series card "now" to enjoy, and guarantee that "eventually" you're going to get a 30-series card.

That's basically what I did... then I ended up getting a 3080 directly the other day, it will be here Tuesday.

But yeah, if you're able to, get an eVGA 2070 Super or simiilar, and then register for Step-Up, you get the best of both worlds, a nice upgrade now, and a gauranteed 30-series card "eventually" whenever your turn in the Step-Up queue comes around.

Save up to 10% on eVGA.com purchases, use my Associates Code: 47AQQ6KPU2IZNXY

My system on ModRigs: https://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=42686 

Primary Rig:

CPU: AMD 5950X at 4.65GHz 1.275V - Mobo: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero - PSU: eVGA P2 1200W

CPU Cooler: EK Quantum Velocity Block (480mm XE Radiator with push/pull EK Vardar D-RGB fans)

2 x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600MHz CL14 RAM (14-15-15-35-1T at 1.45V)

GPU: eVGA RTX 3090 Kingpin Hybrid - Core @ 2160MHz @ 1068mV, VRAM +1000MHz

Case: Thermaltake View 91 - SSDs/HDDs: Too many to list; Samsung 980 Pro 1TB & 2TB M.2s, Samsung 4TB SATA SSD

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Super-Ultrawide 240Hz Monitor

26 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

it might be released. but won't be "available" for a long time.

that's the problem ...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

44 minutes ago, regoman said:

I just got a 1080Ti, going for about the same price used as a used 2060 Super 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?