Used GPU on ebay?

Hi all, I am in the market for a new GPU. (The unit does not have to be new) One big thing about my PC setup is the fact that it is white and grey themed, so I want a white and grey GPU. I found the older GTX 1060 DUAL and 1070 DUAL from ASUS and they look great. However, on Newegg, Amazon, Microcenter, Best buy, ect. all of the units are hundreds of dollars over MSRP and I don't feel like spending $750 on a GTX 1060. 

I found multiple used and new ASUS DUAL GTX 1060 6GB on ebay for reasonable prices. I also found some VERY reasonable used GTX 1070's (around $100-$200)

Some of my friends have had not good experience with art supplies and some other things on ebay (none with PC parts). I know to look at the sellers reviews and the product reviews and I feel confident that I could find a good seller with a good deal. I just want to make sure that i'm not gonna spend around $200 and get nothing. If someone has had good experiences that would be very helpful (Also which one should I get? GTX 1060 6GB or GTX 1070, bother ASUS DUAL models) Thanks for all the help!!!

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

Tier Lists and Specs List Below

Motherboard VRM tier list  -----  PSU tier list

React if you agree with me!

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

All i would say is make sure u get a refund if it ships dead but dont worry about viruses and it breaking your system the only thing u should never get off ebay is storage

21 minutes ago, jsugarman2005 said:

One big thing about my PC setup is the fact that it is white and grey themed, so I want a white and grey GPU.

You do know that you can spray paint the shroud and backplate to match your system scheme for $2 and an hour of your time, right?

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

4 minutes ago, MATT The Geek said:

All i would say is make sure u get a refund if it ships dead but dont worry about viruses and it breaking your system the only thing u should never get off ebay is storage

Ok thanks. Any suggestions on which one to go with?

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

4 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

You do know that you can spray paint the shroud and backplate to match your system scheme for $2 and an hour of your time, right?

not a risk im willing to take

1 minute ago, jsugarman2005 said:

What risk? If you're in the USA, it is 100% illegal for a manufacturer to refuse warranty coverage for removing & repainting those parts. As for damaging anything during disassembly, that's actually not that easy to damage things.

If you're unwilling to put the effort in, that's fine, but the actual risk is minimal.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

Just now, BTGbullseye said:

What risk? If you're in the USA, it is 100% illegal for a manufacturer to refuse warranty coverage for removing & repainting those parts. As for damaging anything during disassembly, that's actually not that easy to damage things.

If you're unwilling to put the effort in, that's fine, but the actual risk is minimal.

Hmmmmm. I'm just uncomfortable opening up the PCB. Also i really just don't want to ruin it. I have taken it into consideration multiple times tho

9 minutes ago, jsugarman2005 said:

Hmmmmm. I'm just uncomfortable opening up the PCB. Also i really just don't want to ruin it.

Considering the only thing you could really ruin if doing this at least close to properly is the color scheme, you might want to give it a try. Especially since you're shopping on a low enough budget that you're looking at 2 generation old used cards instead of new.

The only things to remember are:

1. Make several very light coats of paint, and let them dry completely between coatings.

2. Only paint the outside of the shroud/backplate.

3. Cover the fans/radiators so they don't get any paint on them.

Unless you're planning on facerolling across the PCB while waiting for the paint to dry, you're unlikely to damage it in any way. Even forgetting to put thermal paste on during reassembly won't outright kill it, as it'll throttle itself to compensate. (and you can repaste later to fix it, though I do recommend repasting during reassembly to save time)

1 minute ago, BTGbullseye said:

Considering the only thing you could really ruin if doing this at least close to properly is the color scheme, you might want to give it a try. Especially since you're shopping on a low enough budget that you're looking at 2 generation old used cards instead of new.

The only things to remember are:

1. Make several very light coats of paint, and let them dry completely between coatings.

2. Only paint the outside of the shroud/backplate.

3. Cover the fans so they don't get any paint on them.

Unless you're planning on facerolling across the PCB while waiting for the paint to dry, you're unlikely to damage it in any way. Even forgetting to put thermal paste on during reassembly won't outright kill it, as it'll throttle itself to compensate. (and you can repaste later to fix it, though I do recommend repasting during reassembly to save time)

Thanks, I'll think about it for a bit, but I doubt that my parents will be that enthusiastic about me taking apart a $300 computer part and painting it. Thanks thought!

Just now, jsugarman2005 said:

Thanks, I'll think about it for a bit, but I doubt that my parents will be that enthusiastic about me taking apart a $300 computer part and painting it. Thanks thought!

Sounds like you might need to explain the exact process to your parents then, so it can ease their minds. Show them a teardown video of the card, and point out the two parts that would be painted. Then maybe suggest that you practice the painting on a piece of cardboard first, so you don't mess it up when you do it on the backplate and shoud.

It might help, might not. Could it hurt to try?

25 minutes ago, jsugarman2005 said:

the backplate or fan shrouds wont effect the performance.

you can repaint it safely, there's no risk on doing this.

For 1060, i suggest getting a RX580 8gb, better bang for the buck.

A 1070 will be better than both.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

9 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

Sounds like you might need to explain the exact process to your parents then, so it can ease their minds. Show them a teardown video of the card, and point out the two parts that would be painted. Then maybe suggest that you practice the painting on a piece of cardboard first, so you don't mess it up when you do it on the backplate and shoud.

It might help, might not. Could it hurt to try?

Ok, I think that I might do that. Any suggestions on what GPU to paint? My budget is around $300. I was looking at 5600xt's but their designs look a bit complex. I found a video on how to paint the Sapphire Pulse model of the 5600xt but that look really complex and the Pulse is way over MSRP anyway. Might wait for the 6000 series or get the rumored RTX 3060 ti.

9 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

the backplate or fan shrouds wont effect the performance.

you can repaint it safely, there's no risk on doing this.

For 1060, i suggest getting a RX580 8gb, better bang for the buck.

A 1070 will be better than both.

ok...

I have a $300 budget so I was thinking a 5600xt, but there are not many models of them.

If I were to go with a 580, would that bottleneck my Ryzen 5 3600? If not, is there a certain model that will preform better than the rest?

4 minutes ago, jsugarman2005 said:

ok...

I have a $300 budget so I was thinking a 5600xt, but there are not many models of them.

If I were to go with a 580, would that bottleneck my Ryzen 5 3600? If not, is there a certain model that will preform better than the rest?

5600xt .. nice, but this should be easily beaten by the next AMD 6000 or maybe 3060 when it comes out.

Bottleneck 3600? There will be bottleneck one way or the other, no need to worry.

For the particular model, i always like Sapphire nitro +.

Although any RX580 will perform similar.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

53 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

5600xt .. nice, but this should be easily beaten by the next AMD 6000 or maybe 3060 when it comes out.

Bottleneck 3600? There will be bottleneck one way or the other, no need to worry.

For the particular model, i always like Sapphire nitro +.

Although any RX580 will perform similar.

Ok. I saw that the ASUS STRIX models were pretty easy to mod, so I might do that. But only when they come down off their MSRP.

2 hours ago, jsugarman2005 said:

Ok, I think that I might do that. Any suggestions on what GPU to paint? My budget is around $300. I was looking at 5600xt's but their designs look a bit complex. I found a video on how to paint the Sapphire Pulse model of the 5600xt but that look really complex and the Pulse is way over MSRP anyway. Might wait for the 6000 series or get the rumored RTX 3060 ti.

Well, the RX 6000 series is supposed to be only for cards with performance above the 5700XT for the next year at least, and there isn't even an announcement date for the 3060. I'd recommend not waiting for a $300 price point GPU to release, as it's looking to be sometime well into next year before they are available.

As for the complexity, both the 5600XT and 580 are fairly easy teardowns.

2 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

Well, the RX 6000 series is supposed to be only for cards with performance above the 5700XT for the next year at least, and there isn't even an announcement date for the 3060. I'd recommend not waiting for a $300 price point GPU to release, as it's looking to be sometime well into next year before they are available.

As for the complexity, both the 5600XT and 580 are fairly easy teardowns.

Ok, I was thing and what if i got the GTX 1070 off ebay?

5 hours ago, jsugarman2005 said:

ok...

For $300 you could get a 1660ti. Are these gray/white enough: https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Ultra-Gaming-06G-P4-1667-KR/dp/B07RJGK1PWhttps://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-gtx-1660-ti-ventus-xs-6g-oc/p/N82E16814137392?&quicklink=true?

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

I only have positive experiences when buying and selling used parts on eBay 

6 hours ago, Random_Person1234 said:

yeah i keep seeing the EVGA KO everywhere, 

1:

If i were to spend $300, i would get the 2060 KO.

2:

I though that the KO model were really loud, and I really dont want a jet engine in my ear.

3:

I really don't like the design of the lower-midrange models of the VENTUS. I really like the Ventus GC models. But not the Ventus XS.

6 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

I only have positive experiences when buying and selling used parts on eBay 

Really? Anything bad that got fixed?

52 minutes ago, jsugarman2005 said:

I though that the KO model were really loud, and I really dont want a jet engine in my ear.

My friend has a 2060 ko. He says it doesn't run that loud and isn't on jet engine levels.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

Should be able to find 1080/1070ti’s in the $300 price range. I’d rather do that. But if you are planning to buy an old 10 series card at all, you should be expecting to open up the card for a repaste at least. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 hour ago, Mick Naughty said:

Should be able to find 1080/1070ti’s in the $300 price range. I’d rather do that. But if you are planning to buy an old 10 series card at all, you should be expecting to open up the card for a repaste at least. 

Ok. I will probably most likely do this. Thanks.

7 hours ago, jsugarman2005 said:

Really? Anything bad that got fixed?

A buyer complained once that the cpu I sold did not work. He never responded to my answer. I however only have 40 transactions in total