Worth the effort to rebuild?

tkitch

I recently came across a free PC on a local FB list.  

i7 970, Nvidia 9800, and I have plenty of old RAM to make it more than usable.  (leftovers from work after upgrading to new systems)

The only thing it was lacking was HDDs.  I have a small (240GB) SSD I can drop in, along with a spinny disk for other stuff.  Basically no cost.

Is it worth the time and effort to rebuild a system of that age to give away?  

Be alright for a spare or web machine, 970 is a little slow by todays standards, and the 9800 is worse than an ipgu today (I did have one new back in the day they were a beast lol) 

With some ram it'll run a modern os no issues and with an ssd for daily tasks will be indistinguishable from a newer system for general use 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

mostly thinking of giving it away to someone who doesn't have a computer, so it would be an upgrade from not having one.

I doubt they'd really mind, should be just fine for light web tasks which most people do anyway. No reason to let it waste if you can find someone that would want it.

I’d probably toss the GPU. It’s likely to fail if it’s not already in the process of doing so. The iGPU is enough on the 970 for basic tasks and streaming video.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

"Light web tasks," honestly I think it's being underrated. I can play Destiny 2, Battlefield 1, World of tanks/ships on ultra settings 2k res and get >60 fps with a FX-8350 from 2012/2013. Sure, my Radeon 5700 is hella bottlenecked with it but considering that i7 970 is slightly better than my processor, it can certainly do quite a lot. That graphics card on the other hand is shit, a 660 is miles ahead of that. 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

2 hours ago, tkitch said:

I recently came across a free PC on a local FB list.  

i7 970, Nvidia 9800, and I have plenty of old RAM to make it more than usable.  (leftovers from work after upgrading to new systems)

The only thing it was lacking was HDDs.  I have a small (240GB) SSD I can drop in, along with a spinny disk for other stuff.  Basically no cost.

Is it worth the time and effort to rebuild a system of that age to give away?  

It'll still be a good machine for school work so I wouldn't consider it e-waste this soon. Add a cheap used GPU and it would be a decent machine for less demanding titles like Eurotruck Simulator 2, maybe even Destiny 2. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580