Which speaker?

Entropy.

I've been shopping for some speakers, and I've been getting into Harman Kardon products. I've been considering their two offerings for $300- The soundsticks IIII, and Aura 3. Im using it for a desk setup. Which speaker is better for my use case? Are there better speakers out there for $300? 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

7 hours ago, geo3 said:

Jamo S 803 for $230. They're passive so pair them with an amp like the Topping PA3 or Fosi TDA7498E.

What about powered speakers? I I have pretty limited room on my desk, so I want to keep a mess of cables to a minimum- so bluetooth connectivity if possible, as well as powered. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

41 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

What about powered speakers? I I have pretty limited room on my desk, so I want to keep a mess of cables to a minimum- so bluetooth connectivity if possible, as well as powered. 

Maybe Vanatoo T0?  But they're a little over budget. There are a couple others in your price range that are unavailable now though (JBL 306P and Monolith MM-3 )

I'd personally avoid BT due to delay. I have a Bluetooth 5.0 capable speaker amp and the delay is very noticeable when I use it in BT mode. 

As for wire mess, If you stick the amp right along side one of the speakers it's not any more wires than using powered speakers. (except for 1 really short one) The powered speakers are just normal speakers with an amp built into the box. It takes all the same connections to run it.  And the amps I suggested are already quite small them selves. 

There are more options for powered and BT if you want to step down in quality a bit, like Edifier R1700BTs, (or up in price a bit, The Vanatoos).  

Or you could get what I have. Micca RB42 speakers which are quite small, and pair them with a BT amp like mine, the SMSL SA300. If using it in BT mode it's just power to the amp, and a wire running across to the other speaker. (and a short 6in wire to the near by speaker.)

14 hours ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

I've been shopping for some speakers, and I've been getting into Harman Kardon products. I've been considering their two offerings for $300- The soundsticks IIII, and Aura 3. Im using it for a desk setup. Which speaker is better for my use case? Are there better speakers out there for $300? 

I really like the sound of HK, even their bizarre products, like the alarm clock, sound great.

However, on Amazon, you can get a Klipsch R-41PM for $325 and an R-51PM for $350. A bit more than $300, but these sound way better, and totally worth the extra imo. Before you buy however, listen to them in a shop, nearly everyone has a Klipsch pair on display, as their sound usually really differs from others. 

6 minutes ago, VoidX said:

I really like the sound of HK, even their bizarre products, like the alarm clock, sound great.

However, on Amazon, you can get a Klipsch R-41PM for $325 and an R-51PM for $350. A bit more than $300, but these sound way better, and totally worth the extra imo. Before you buy however, listen to them in a shop, nearly everyone has a Klipsch pair on display, as their sound usually really differs from others. 

Are the dedicated shops I can go to or something? I've listened to the promedia in a costco once before lol. 

34 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Are the dedicated shops I can go to or something? I've listened to the promedia in a costco once before lol. 

The Klipsch Pro Media have a bit of the "klipsch sound", but not nearly as much as the other larger models in their lineup.

Try give the specific Klipsch model a listen. If you can't find them to demo, try a pair of RP-400M's to listen to.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

4 hours ago, VoidX said:

Ty bro. I went to a video only and they had it for $225. Made my day :)

15 hours ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Ty bro. I went to a video only and they had it for $225. Made my day :)

That's a great price, as low as their discount passive bookshelf prices. Klipsch does this regularly, sometimes even for 1/3 of the original price (for subwoofers). Hope you like yours :)

7 hours ago, VoidX said:

That's a great price, as low as their discount passive bookshelf prices. Klipsch does this regularly, sometimes even for 1/3 of the original price (for subwoofers). Hope you like yours :)

They're great. They Easily beat my 3.1 soundbar setup- they're way more deatailed. Only place they don't keep up is with the bass lol. So I'm planning on getting a R-10SW or maybe a sub-100. Any other sub reccomendations for around $250?

7 hours ago, VoidX said:

Oh reminds me. On costco the r-41m's are on sale for.... $89- godamn.Still keeping these speakers though. I like my connectivty options and the fact I only need two wires lol

On 10/11/2020 at 9:21 PM, Brok3n But who cares? said:

They're great. They Easily beat my 3.1 soundbar setup- they're way more deatailed. Only place they don't keep up is with the bass lol. So I'm planning on getting a R-10SW or maybe a sub-100. Any other sub reccomendations for around $250?

Don't buy the R-10SW, or any Klipsch sub with a tubular port, they have too long decays and horrible port noise issues. Look around for their slot designs, or higher grade used ones, like the RW-12d.

3 hours ago, VoidX said:

Don't buy the R-10SW, or any Klipsch sub with a tubular port, they have too long decays and horrible port noise issues. Look around for their slot designs, or higher grade used ones, like the RW-12d.

Discontinued, price out of budget. Do you have any other suggestions? 
Looking t the sub-100/120, how are those?
https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Synergy-Subwoofer-Cerametallic-Front-Firing/dp/B0849XQJF4/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=klipsch+12d&qid=1602646134&sr=8-10

On 10/10/2020 at 3:17 AM, geo3 said:

Jamo S 803 for $230. They're passive so pair them with an amp like the Topping PA3 or Fosi TDA7498E.

Hmm... I may be looking into this for a different room. Any other add-on reccomended? I'm looking specifically to go with the topping PA3, or maybe some other amp. Should I be going with a AV/receiver Instead? Add a Dac? A higher end amp maybe? By that I mean would spending >$100 on something additional improve the experience? It could be on speakers, amp, whatever. 

1 hour ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Hmm... I may be looking into this for a different room. Any other add-on reccomended? I'm looking specifically to go with the topping PA3, or maybe some other amp. Should I be going with a AV/receiver Instead? Add a Dac? A higher end amp maybe? By that I mean would spending >$100 on something additional improve the experience? It could be on speakers, amp, whatever. 

Depends. What are you starting from and what would the purpose be?  AV receiver is generally if you intend to do surround, and a DAC if you already don't have an analogue signal, or the existing dac is bad like integrated to a mother board.  Is it for a desk or whole room? 

23 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Depends. What are you starting from and what would the purpose be?  AV receiver is generally if you intend to do surround, and a DAC if you already don't have an analogue signal, or the existing dac is bad like integrated to a mother board.  Is it for a desk or whole room? 

1. I may intend to do surround later (It's at least in a year in the future, probably more), Currently only plan to have at most a 2.1 setup

2. Existing DAC would be an integrated dac, which would be in an LG gram most likely. 

3.Primary use will vary, I have two rooms in mind that I could use them in- One Is a (smaller) whole room, and one is a desk lol. If I'd have to choose, I'd say for a desk. 

31 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

1. I may intend to do surround later, Currently only plan to have at most a 2.1 setup

2. Existing DAC would be an integrated dac, which would be in an LG gram most likely. 

3.Primary use will vary, I have two rooms in mind that I could use them in- One Is a (smaller) whole room, and one is a desk lol. If I'd have to choose, I'd say for a desk. 

Then I would say go for the AV receiver, one that can push the speakers without needing additional amps. Unless you want to replace pieces of the set up later. 

Then when you want to go to surround later it would just be a matter of adding the additional speakers. And you don't need get additional high end speakers like the Jamo's for the side and rear channels.  Side and rear can be lesser speakers. I'd get something like the Micca COVO-S for those, especially because they have a mounting hole built in. 

Usually AV receivers don't do USB in so if for some reason you need to USB in you could use a box like this to convert to either optical or coax which most receivers take. But if you're doing surround then you will most likely HDMI into the receiver anyway. 

11 hours ago, geo3 said:

Then I would say go for the AV receiver, one that can push the speakers without needing additional amps. Unless you want to replace pieces of the set up later. 

Then when you want to go to surround later it would just be a matter of adding the additional speakers. And you don't need get additional high end speakers like the Jamo's for the side and rear channels.  Side and rear can be lesser speakers. I'd get something like the Micca COVO-S for those, especially because they have a mounting hole built in. 

Usually AV receivers don't do USB in so if for some reason you need to USB in you could use a box like this to convert to either optical or coax which most receivers take. But if you're doing surround then you will most likely HDMI into the receiver anyway. 

hmm, alright. I Still have a few questions:

1. I've been looking around, and I saw the HERCULES MONITOR 5's are some pretty popular speakers, and a lot of people prefer their sound signature, over the Jamo's- I heard they have somewhat of a "smile" sound signature? Also looking at the fluance ai40's. Both are powered speakers, but tey seemed to be somewhat better liked? I dunno. 

2. If I wanted to go with an amp for Sub-$150 or so, What would I go with? Still the ones you reccomended? I'm looking at the Arylic A50 Integrated and the topping pa3 you reccomended
3. If I wanted an A/V receiver, what should I go for?

Ty. 

30 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

hmm, alright. I Still have a few questions:

1. I've been looking around, and I saw the HERCULES MONITOR 5's are some pretty popular speakers, and a lot of people prefer their sound signature, over the Jamo's- I heard they have somewhat of a "smile" sound signature? Also looking at the fluance ai40's. Both are powered speakers, but tey seemed to be somewhat better liked? I dunno. 

2. If I wanted to go with an amp for Sub-$150 or so, What would I go with? Still the ones you reccomended? I'm looking at the Arylic A50 Integrated and the topping pa3 you reccomended
3. If I wanted an A/V receiver, what should I go for?

Ty. 

1. I'm not familiar with the Hercules or that particular Fluance, but if they're "smile shaped" or V shaped it means the lows and highs are boosted with recessed mid range, rather than having a neutral/flat frequency response. This is really personal preference. Some people like one better than the other. I prefer neutral. Neutral can take on other shapes with EQ, however it's a bit more fiddley to "fix" a non flat response. 

2. If you go with powered speakers you don't need an amp, but if you went with passive And had a $150 budget then I'd get SMSL SA300. The SA300 is a bit more accurate than the other 2, but not as powerful as the Fosi. So if you need the power get the Fosi still. With that budget I'd always get the SA300 over the PA3.

3. I'd defer to someone more knowledgeable for picking a specific model. But I can tell just to plan a head and get something that matches your speakers. So amplified outputs for passive speakers and rca outs for powered ones. 

Just now, geo3 said:

1. I'm not familiar with the Hercules or that particular Fluance, but if they're "smile shaped" or V shaped it means the lows and highs are boosted with recessed mid range, rather than having a neutral/flat frequency response. This is really personal preference. Some people like one better than the other. I prefer neutral. Neutral can take on other shapes with EQ, however it's a bit more fiddley to "fix" a non flat response. 

2. If you go with powered speakers you don't need an amp, but if you went with passive And had a $150 budget then I'd get SMSL SA300. The SA300 is a bit more accurate than the other 2, but not as powerful as the Fosi. So if you need the power get the Fosi still. With that budget I'd always get the SA300 over the PA3.

3. I'd defer to someone more knowledgeable for picking a specific model. But I can tell just to plan a head and get something that matches your speakers. So amplified outputs for passive speakers and rca outs for powered ones. 

Lol I was talking about the 803's, rather than the Other speakers.

But alright ty for the advice. Do you have any idea about who I could ask for more info? 

5 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Lol I was talking about the 803's, rather than the Other speakers.

But alright ty for the advice. Do you have any idea about who I could ask for more info? 

If you're getting the 803's then I'd pair them with the SA300 for desk use as you don't need that much power and the Fosi for full room as you'd want them to be louder and the Fosi has double the power of the SA300.  Of course get neither if you're going with an AV receiver.  

I'm not sure who has specific knowledge of AV receivers on this forum. But you could try asking here https://forum.hifiguides.com/c/home-theater/49

1 hour ago, geo3 said:

I'm not sure who has specific knowledge of AV receivers on this forum. 

I'm starting to add the people who I trust on subjects I don't know a bunch about to my gear recommendation thing so hopefully, eventually it gets to a point where it's easy to figure out exactly who would have the answers to each question that comes through. If you have suggestions at any point just let me know.

Sloth's the name, audio gear is the game
I'll do my best to lend a hand to anyone with audio questions, studio gear and value for money are my primary focus.

Click here for my Microphone and Interface guide, tips and recommendations

For advice I rely on The Brains Trust :
@rice guru
- Headphones, Earphones and personal audio for any budget 
@Derkoli- High end specialist and allround knowledgeable bloke