Qwerty is a legacy layout

oliverpolden

I saw an old thread about Qwerty vs Dvorak and thought that now is a good time to revisit what with tablets becoming computers and third party keyboards available for them. Plus text input in VR, folding phones etc.

I've used Dvorak for about 17 years now and I can say it is vastly superior to Qwerty. I won't go into specifics but there are multiple reasons it's better and those reasons are easy enough to find online. But essentially, the reasons we use Qwerty are not relevant today, it's a legacy layout that is far from optimal.

I used to use a completely blank keyboard, but now I just settle for a physical Qwerty keyboard that is set to Dvorak.

It took me about two weeks to "learn" the layout, i.e. able to remember where all the keys are (punctuation is mostly the same, especially on number keys), then it took me another two weeks to get up to a reasonable speed. I think within two months I was up to speed or faster than qwerty.

I am glad I switched, but it can be a pain using other computers or devices where you can't change the layout although you're back to hunt and peck often anyway and I haven't lost that skill, plus I'm still able to use swipe keyboards.

There is Colemak which might be superior and variants of Dvorak e.g. for programming, or left and right single hands, it often depends what you use your keyboard for mostly, plus there are different physical layouts such as un-staggered keys. I prefer just using a standard Qwerty keyboard set to Dvorak so I can use any keyboard.

I would say it would be really nice to have split space bars. Where the each half is configurable so you could set for example backspace or delete on one half. We mostly use one thumb on the spacebar, so that's a whole other thumb that is redundant (try it!). I do however have Caps-Lock remapped to Backspace. That stretching your pinky all the way up to the top right is not good! I highly recommend changing just that. I think I use Karabiner elements (on MacOS) to do that, but Googling that should take you down the right path. There are ways to do it in Windows and Linux but I can't remember off the top of my head how to do it. Linux can usually do it out of the box and I think Windows needs you to change something in the registry. Oh and on that note, I have a Touch Bar, no physical escape key so I also remapped that Plus/Minus/Squiggly key to Escape. (I can't type it because it's remapped!).

Is it time to reconsider Qwerty? Can we get more functionality as standard out of the biggest key on the keyboard that only serves a single purpose? Do you care that you're using a less efficient and less healthy keyboard layout?

Linus tech tips did do a video a while ago, but I would love to see them do another, it's something we all use every day and take it for granted.

Well since people are now texting and typing roughly half the letters of words... we need to go back to the old 1 for ABC, 2 for DEF, etc. 

Seriously, if we can't even get people to try to spell words properly, why does the keyboard layout matter?

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

10 minutes ago, oliverpolden said:

Qwerty

Do you know why it was invented?

To keep typewriter keys from jamming against one another with fast typists.

Talk about legacy.

But it works for 99% of the population. So there's that...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Yes, yes, we know. And every time this argument is brought up, it gets shut down by the sheer amount of programs, games, etc that are designed for qwerty and qwerty alone. This makes me and pretty much all my keyboard friends stick with qwerty; not because it's good, but because it's by far the least hassle in terms of using a computer normally.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

14 minutes ago, oliverpolden said:

I would say it would be really nice to have split space bars

It probably won't be standard any time soon but there are tons of keyboards with many bottom row keys. 

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

7 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Yes, yes, we know. And every time this argument is brought up, it gets shut down by the sheer amount of programs, games, etc that are designed for qwerty and qwerty alone. This makes me and pretty much all my keyboard friends stick with qwerty; not because it's good, but because it's by far the least hassle in terms of using a computer normally.

Good point about programs and games, I have to say that has been a pain point of using Dvorak.

I'm aware there are all kinds of keyboards available with multiple keys for the thumbs but I think a split space bar is one thing that third party could reasonably put in an otherwise standard keyboard, even if the user just configures it to be space anyway. I'm thinking, what could reasonably become standard on a laptop keyboard or tablet case keyboard?

Just now, oliverpolden said:

Good point about programs and games, I have to say that has been a pain point of using Dvorak.

I'm aware there are all kinds of keyboards available with multiple keys for the thumbs but I think a split space bar is one thing that third party could reasonably put in an otherwise standard keyboard, even if the user just configures it to be space anyway. I'm thinking, what could reasonably become standard on a laptop keyboard or tablet case keyboard?

Well the problem with something as basic as a split spacebar, much less dvorak, colemak, other physical layout changes, etc, is that grandma who just wants a keyboard to type emails and play online bingo is gonna be confused as fuck when she has to hit backspace with her thumb. Plus, it's more expensive to produce (two keycaps, two more switches or rubber domes, etc).

Have you looked into a custom mech at all? You can have an all 1u bottom row if you really wanted...

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

7 minutes ago, oliverpolden said:

what could reasonably become standard on a laptop keyboard or tablet case keyboard?

5p6zd.jpg

I'd like to see this become a standard, lots of room for customization! 🤪

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

26 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

5p6zd.jpg

so you could sleep on ur keeb .... anywhere ... in any position

no bad no bad

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

5p6zd.jpg

Wow, that's amazing. How many hands and fingers do they have?! Is that one big, very important "Enter/Return" key?!

1 hour ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Well the problem with something as basic as a split spacebar, much less dvorak, colemak, other physical layout changes, etc, is that grandma who just wants a keyboard to type emails and play online bingo is gonna be confused as fuck when she has to hit backspace with her thumb. Plus, it's more expensive to produce (two keycaps, two more switches or rubber domes, etc).

Have you looked into a custom mech at all? You can have an all 1u bottom row if you really wanted...

Yes, as I said, I'm aware, although honestly I haven't looked recently. I've been in the industry for a while now and paid my dues for years with Linux, I'm not into that kind of customisation any more. I was once quite close to buying a Kinesis Advantage at one point. It's all about convenience for me now, which means no external keyboard, at least not when I'm away from home.

I'm more interested in small tweaks that could be done to a standard keyboard. To be fair, Dvorak, Caps lock remapped to backspace and the top left key remapped to Escape serves me very well (MacBook with Touch Bar). Having a split spacebar would mean the left side of my spacebar is no longer redundant.

Anyway, I started this topic to discuss what, if anything could be tweaked with standard keyboards that could become standard.

OLED/eInk/ePaper keycaps could be a nice standard, would help with games and applications, I know such keyboards also exist, but they're not standard.

40 minutes ago, oliverpolden said:

Wow, that's amazing. How many hands and fingers do they have?! Is that one big, very important "Enter/Return" key?!

I think it's a japanese keyboard with all their kanji, either way, pretty cool (or crazy, depending on your POV)

29 minutes ago, oliverpolden said:

Anyway, I started this topic to discuss what, if anything could be tweaked with standard keyboards that could become standard.

OLED/eInk/ePaper keycaps could be a nice standard, would help with games and applications, I know such keyboards also exist, but they're not standard.

Programmable keyboards tend to be very expensive

https://www.amazon.com/Optimus-Maximus-OLED-keyboard-white/dp/B0042FWNMW/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8#HLCXComparisonWidget_feature_div