Thinking of getting a 1440p, 144hz IPS monitor, and stuck on two choices.

deadqoop

Hi there, I just had a question regarding 1440p, 144hz monitors and whether it would be worth getting one over the other.

So basically, I've heard good things about both the LG 27GL850-B and the ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD 27, and I am just wondering which one I should get for my first 1440p monitor.

In terms of pricing here in Canada, the LG one would end up costing me $800 CAD after taxes while the Viewsonic one will end up being at $475 CAD. I am just wondering, is that jump in price justified for someone who mostly games and watches videos/movies?

I currently have a 2080S and I am thinking of upgrading my 5 year old i7-5960x, MOBO, and RAM to a Ryzen 3700X setup (I've been noticing a lot of bottleneck at 1080p and lots of stuttering issues.), so I am just wondering if it's worth allocating that extra $300 to an $800 monitor, or just putting it towards better components for my PC, like maybe a Ryzen 5950X perhaps or an eventual upgrade of my GPU to a 3080.

I am just stuck on what to do that would net me the most performance and whatnot haha. I'd appreciate the help, thank you very much!

28 minutes ago, deadqoop said:

Hi there, I just had a question regarding 1440p, 144hz monitors and whether it would be worth getting one over the other.

So basically, I've heard good things about both the LG 27GL850-B and the ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD 27, and I am just wondering which one I should get for my first 1440p monitor.

In terms of pricing here in Canada, the LG one would end up costing me $800 CAD after taxes while the Viewsonic one will end up being at $475 CAD. I am just wondering, is that jump in price justified for someone who mostly games and watches videos/movies?

I currently have a 2080S and I am thinking of upgrading my 5 year old i7-5960x, MOBO, and RAM to a Ryzen 3700X setup (I've been noticing a lot of bottleneck at 1080p and lots of stuttering issues.), so I am just wondering if it's worth allocating that extra $300 to an $800 monitor, or just putting it towards better components for my PC, like maybe a Ryzen 5950X perhaps or an eventual upgrade of my GPU to a 3080.

I am just stuck on what to do that would net me the most performance and whatnot haha. I'd appreciate the help, thank you very much!

Generally they said that the LG 27GL850 performs and looks better, but the viewsonic panel is pretty damn close for almost half the price. I would go for the viewsonic and put more money towards your CPU/RAM upgrade If I were you, 

edit: theyre both IPS panels so theyre going to look amazing compared to an LCD anyways 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

18 minutes ago, AntiTrust said:

Generally they said that the LG 27GL850 performs and looks better, but the viewsonic panel is pretty damn close for almost half the price. I would go for the viewsonic and put more money towards your CPU/RAM upgrade If I were you, 

edit: theyre both IPS panels so theyre going to look amazing compared to an LCD anyways 

Okay, I might end up going with the Viewsonic then. This will be my first 1440p monitor, currently have a 1080p TN panel, so I am sure it'll look amazing regardless haha.

Thanks for the info!