How to get the best from a gaming laptop's battery?

Hello there,

So I have a Lenovo y700 but i am about to change to a new gaming laptop (HP-OMEN 15 2020) soon this month and while using the Lenovo it did provide me with good performance the only issue i faced is that my battery degraded very quickly , within 6 months i could see noticeable issues with it.

I think this might be due to me keeping the laptop plugged in most of the time and always discharging it to 0 and charging to 100% multiple times.

So i would like to know the things i should do and avoid to make my new laptop battery last longer and stay healthy for more time period.

Lithium batteries have a charge cycle rating. Normally like 300-800.

1 charge cycle is from 0-100%.

So if you frequently discharge it to 0, it gonna reduce it's health.

Ideally you want the battery to discharge as less as possible.

So plug it in all the time might not be a bad idea.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Best way to squeeze the most out of that gaming laptop battery is to take it to you local pawn shop....sell it for a huge loss...then go buy a desktop for half the price and twice the performance.  Sorry couldn't resist...

On 10/7/2020 at 11:22 AM, Muneebdw said:

Hello there,

So I have a Lenovo y700 but i am about to change to a new gaming laptop (HP-OMEN 15 2020) soon this month and while using the Lenovo it did provide me with good performance the only issue i faced is that my battery degraded very quickly , within 6 months i could see noticeable issues with it.

I think this might be due to me keeping the laptop plugged in most of the time and always discharging it to 0 and charging to 100% multiple times.

So i would like to know the things i should do and avoid to make my new laptop battery last longer and stay healthy for more time period.

I have absolutely zero scientific evidence to back this up, but here's what I do and it's worked so far:

- Unplug it when not in use for long periods of time (ie overnight)

- Once every couple months or so, run a stress test on battery starting at 100% until it turns off, then give it a full charge while off

- Use the OEM charger

- Uninstall the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery in the device manager and restart the machine a few times a year or when you're noticing abnormal battery drain

- Even while in use, don't let it sit at 100% for hours and hours...it's a battery, never be afraid to simply use it off charge for awhile

- Factory reset the computer at least once a year to start fresh

- Keep the brightness only as bright as you absolutely need it to be

- Avoid extreme high/low temps

Again, got nothing to back this up scientifically. I've just been doing my own thing with all my devices and so far they've lasted quite well. No idea if this is correlation or causation, and I can't guarantee that what I'm doing is having any effect or if I'm just getting lucky, but so far it's been going well. Good luck!