Sub $700 Gaming build

HunterH1012

Budget (including currency): 700 usd

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: GTA V, Apex, Battlefield V, and Forza.

Other details: I am going to be playing at 1080p 144hertz.

Hi all, I am planning on building a pc my budget is 700 dollars. Last night I threw together a parts list and I want you to tell me how it looks. I want to be still playing games for the next couple of years at 60+ fps. Any help is appreciated!

8 minutes ago, Le monke said:

Power Supply

That seems to be bare minimum for a PSU. Are you sure it'll provide enough power for your setup?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I would wait until the new Radeon cards come out to see if prices go down at all. If you want to use this rig for the next few years it would be smart to save a bit more and put it back into the gpu, especially with the new 3070 (hopefully by the time you have saved up enough to get one they are in stock).

If you can, wait for 3050. It might come out in feb. and if what we see on the high end is anything to go by, it wil be WAY better.

My primary system: Core I7 10700k, 32 gb Trident Z RGB ram@3200mhz, EVGA GTX 970 SSC (will upgrade), NZXT N7 Z490 motherboard (Black), Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB SSD, NZXT C850 PSU, Hyper 212 EVO cooler (getting new water cooler soon), NZXT H510i case. 

My secondary system: Core I7 4820k, 16 gb quad channel 1600mhz ram, GTX 780 reference, Asus PX79LE, SK Hynix GOLD s31 500gb SSD, some 10 yr old Cooler Master 750w psu, Hyper 212, old Cooler Master case.

Laptop: Lenovo l380 yoga I5 8250u, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd storage)

It's not bad, and in response to @Radium_Angel that PSU is okay. However, I don't think it's great value for $700, with a last-gen CPU and too much spent on storage. Here's something that will perform better for the same price.

The $160 Ryzen 5 3600 is a Micro Center deal, they've got $20 off when you buy a motherboard-CPU combo.They have the 3600 listed at $180 ($160 after discount) and they have that same motherboard.

7 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

It's not bad, and in response to @Radium_Angel that PSU is okay. However, I don't think it's great value for $700, with a last-gen CPU and too much spent on storage. Here's something that will perform better for the same price.

The $160 Ryzen 5 3600 is a Micro Center deal, they've got $20 off when you buy a motherboard-CPU combo.They have the 3600 listed at $180 ($160 after discount) and they have that same motherboard.

Is the micro center deal online or in person bc I live in michigan's upper peninsula and I'm like 500 miles away from the nearest one.

2 minutes ago, Le monke said:

Is the micro center deal online or in person bc I live in michigan's upper peninsula and I'm like 500 miles away from the nearest one.

Rats, it's in store only. Sorry! It looks like the best value Ryzen chips - 3100 and 3300x - aren't in stock anywhere. Maybe wait? The RDNA2 announcement is tomorrow and the Ryzen announcement is in a couple of weeks

Just now, Aereldor said:

Rats, it's in store only. Sorry! It looks like the best value Ryzen chips - 3100 and 3300x - aren't in stock anywhere. Maybe wait? The RDNA2 announcement is tomorrow and the Ryzen announcement is in a couple of weeks

other way around but yes, zen 3 is coming very soon and will make purchase decisions a bit more clear. insane that the 3100 is straight up OOS, building a budget system right now would be totally shit. everything costs way too much for being basic low-end components...

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

Yeah I'll wait, and I'm ok with spending the extra $20. I appreciate the help!

Just now, VeganJoy said:

other way around but yes, zen 3 is coming very soon and will make purchase decisions a bit more clear. insane that the 3100 is straight up OOS, building a budget system right now would be totally shit. everything costs way too much for being basic low-end components...

I'll probably wait to buy parts until the newer ryzen cpus are released because it ight bring the price down a little.

1 minute ago, Le monke said:

Yeah I'll wait, and I'm ok with spending the extra $20. I appreciate the help!

It's an extra $40, Micro Center is the only place that has it at $180 base price, everywhere else is $200. Also nobody else offers that $20 motherboard discount.

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

It's an extra $40, Micro Center is the only place that has it at $180 base price, everywhere else is $200. Also nobody else offers that $20 motherboard discount.

Oh ok

2 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

It's actually a good time to build a budget system. The 9100F (amazing budget chip) is $50 at microcenter, and the RX 570 has been $130 for years and just gets better with every software update. The thing competed with a 1050 ti 4 years ago, here it is knocking over a 1650 super today lol.

1 minute ago, Le monke said:

I'll probably wait to buy parts until the newer ryzen cpus are released because it ight bring the price down a little.

The Ryzen 5 5700x and the Ryzen 5 5600 (or whatever they're calling them) will release, but the cheap chips might take another 6 to 8 months. After all, the 3300x and 3600x came out less than 6 months ago.

24 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

It's actually a good time to build a budget system. The 9100F (amazing budget chip) is $50 at microcenter, and the RX 570 has been $130 for years and just gets better with every software update. The thing competed with a 1050 ti 4 years ago, here it is knocking over a 1650 super today lol.

aight lemme revise my statement, its a shit time to not live near a microcenter lol. and the 1650 super's performance is on par with an rx 580/gtx 1060, no?

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D