Intel's Next-Gen 16-core/32-thread Alder Lake Processor appears online and sporting a new "Hybrid Chip Layout / Design"

Without knowing the price it’s like whatever, who cares.

New CPUs with a mix of powerful and “weaker” cores is useful in desktops for computations/tasks that GPUs are currently doing. The only reason GPUs are faster in certain tasks is that they have many “weaker” cores. And Intel wants to fight that trend by improving their CPU performance in those areas.

21 minutes ago, Unixsystem said:

I'm specifically referring to Alder Lake. I may have misinterpreted, but I was under the impression that Alder was still monolithic. 

They haven't said anything either way that I'm aware of specifically for Alder Lake, but they have been saying they want to modularise their CPU offerings more going forward. Might be worth a re-check of the Intel Architecture Day info dump they did about a month or so back.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just here to point out that it's probably a 24 thread CPU as the atom cores are not expected to implement SMT for efficiency reasons, this was probably unable to properly detect the heterogeneous processor core regime in use. Just like no avx on those atom cores.

Also for anyone wondering: AMD will also go big.LITTLE eventually I'm sure as well but not before Zen4, could be Zen 5 even.

Edit: Actually in the OP screenshots you can see that the Capacity is a maximum of 24T on all of the runs. So this is basically confirmed

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

With how performance varies per CCX, I wonder if this wont end up being good for Ryzen as Intel will have to push Windows to better understand core performance characteristics and how to use them optimally.

I see this as an attack on Apple Silicon.

For me, this has no purpose on a desktop, where people really don't care about power usage. But on a laptop, they need to adopt heterogenous core configurations if they want to stay competitive with the new Macs with Apple Silicon which will smoke their Intel predecessors in efficiency and power usage.

On 10/7/2020 at 12:36 AM, porina said:

Configuration options were leaked months ago. I'm still not sure I understand the value of "slow" cores on desktop in addition to "fast" cores. I think this is mainly a cheap way to increase core counts above 8 for mainstream.

IMO, look at it differently .

When your computer is asleep, what does it do in the background?

Multimedia stuff like Audio (non-DSP) hasn’t needed a high end CPU core since 1999. Video is done on GPU video cores, not typically in software, and if you do it in software you need a ^2 number of cores to synchronize. So if you can synchronize just the highspeed core for watching the video and the low speed cores for the audio, you may come out ahead.

But for games, this is just walking backwards in most cases. I see more AI-compute tech in the future and it typically makes more use of big-memory, parallel cores.(One Text-to-Speech Project Requires 5GB of VRAM on the GPU to use it.) This isn’t useful for that specific task.