Help picking a 750W-850W PSU

Ennox

Hi there,

I'm in the process of building a new rig (first time in like 10 years) and spent hours looking up comments here on LTT about the "golden" Tier A PSUs and narrowed down my choice to the following models (availability and pricing already taken into account).

Enermax Revolution D.F. 750W (99€)
Fractal Design Ion+ 860P 860W (120€)
Super Flower Leadex III Gold 850W (128€)
Corsair RMx White Series RM750x 2018 (127€)
Thermaltake ToughPower GF1 ARGB 750W (145€)

I decided to go with 750W+ because of Igorslabs suggestion when using a RTX 3080 plus overcklocking. if the price-diff was < 20€ I picked the 850W model.
The system powered will be your vanilla 8C/16T AMD-System (Zen3) with either RTX 3080 or the AMD derivate and possibly a DVB-C-Tuner. Since I'm a sucker for quite operation the GPU could well end up under water.

Is any of the listed PSUs clearly favorable above the others? Corsair is almost sold out for sane prices here therefore there's only the RMx White on the list.

And the ION+ is the only blue PSU on that list but nevertheless recommended quite often - how come?

I've read the reviews but any insight is more than welcome! 😃

4 minutes ago, Ennox said:

Hi there,

I'm in the process of building a new rig (first time in like 10 years) and spent hours looking up comments here on LTT about the "golden" Tier A PSUs and narrowed down my choice to the following models (availability and pricing already taken into account).

Enermax Revolution D.F. 750W (99€)
Fractal Design Ion+ 860P 860W (120€)
Super Flower Leadex III Gold 850W (128€)
Corsair RMx White Series RM750x 2018 (127€)
Thermaltake ToughPower GF1 ARGB 750W (145€)

I decided to go with 750W+ because of Igorslabs suggestion when using a RTX 3080 plus overcklocking. if the price-diff was < 20€ I picked the 850W model.
The system powered will be your vanilla 8C/16T AMD-System (Zen3) with either RTX 3080 or the AMD derivate and possibly a DVB-C-Tuner. Since I'm a sucker for quite operation the GPU could well end up under water.

Is any of the listed PSUs clearly favorable above the others? Corsair is almost sold out for sane prices here therefore there's only the RMx White on the list.

And the ION+ is the only blue PSU on that list but nevertheless recommended quite often - how come?

I've read the reviews but any insight is more than welcome! 😃

Even though Corsair's rm series here is white, i would personally go for it as it is a highly lauded brand, and i have personally seen how good the RM series os, so if you would ask me, i would choose the Corsair RM750x

PLEASE TAG ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLY!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  | Motherboard: Asus TUF X570 Plus | RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8gbx2 3600Mhz | GPU: Asus TUF RTX 3080 | PSU: NZXT C850 | Case: Corsair 5000D AF | Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z63 280mm | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500Gb m.2 ssd + Samsung 860 EVO 1tb ssd | Monitor: LG 49WL95C-W | Peripherals: Logitech G815 + Razer Viper Ultimate + Razer Kraken TE | Audio: Logitech G560 

I would just go with a Corsair Rmx or RMi.

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

same as they say only because tis a known brand.

but this post someone has really done the job of investigating.

EDIT: just realized that is what you mentioned in the first part  :D

10 hours ago, Ennox said:

It's decent, just has a bit worse characteristics, not critically so. Although since Enermax Revo DF is significantly cheaper than everything else i see no reason not to go for it, it's a good PSU. Just keep in mind that it's multirail and you'll need to follow the manual to connect each PCI-e cable to separate rail.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions!

I went with a Corsair RM850x - better safe than sorry. 😉