DT770 80 ohm vs DT990 80 ohm

Hi so I have been trying my friend's dt770 80 ohms for couple of days and love them, but since the 990s are also similiarly priced, I am also considering buying that since I never owned a pair of open back headphones before. So I'm looking for advice: which one would sound better for 80s, synthwave, and rock. I listen to a lot of queen, Gary numan, abba, stevie nicks, GnR, heart, blondie, yoko kano and some other synthwave bands. Also which one would be better for immersion in gaming. I usually just play single player games with some coop games. I'm planning to get the 990s 80ohm if it helps. Also if there are any good alternatives, my budget is around 200. Thank you in advance!

The DT 990's will suit you better I think. Open back gives a feeling of being there with 2 speakers in a room or on a stage.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

3 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

The DT 990's will suit you better I think. Open back gives a feeling of being there with 2 speakers in a room or on a stage.

Thanks for the quick reply! Would the open back design make mostly synthwavy songs and my song preference sound better than closed back ones? Sorry I'm just now trying to get into being an audiophile.

7 minutes ago, Incognito47 said:

Thanks for the quick reply! Would the open back design make mostly synthwavy songs and my song preference sound better than closed back ones? Sorry I'm just now trying to get into being an audiophile.

Yes. You want to enjoy with open back mostly. So, if you don't know the difference in open back and closed back headphones. The big difference is the spaciousness and how more neutral the sound is. Closed back forces bassy sounds in but open back makes it more airy but still has a punchy bass. If you are unhappy with the sound just EQ if that is an option that you want to do. Also I'm there myself buddy. A wannabe audiophile ;). Now I don't know if you prefer a more open sound and less quantity of bass but better quality? But I love the sound of my DT 990 pros which sound fantastic with almost anything.

EDIT: I am not saying that the DT 770 pros are unenjoyable because these have quite a big soundstage for being closed back, unenjoyable a word? Anyways. But open back headphones will create a better immersion for gaming and music.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

9 minutes ago, Incognito47 said:

Hi so I have been trying my friend's dt770 80 ohms for couple of days and love them, but since the 990s are also similiarly priced, I am also considering buying that since I never owned a pair of open back headphones before. So I'm looking for advice: which one would sound better for 80s, synthwave, and rock. I listen to a lot of queen, Gary numan, abba, stevie nicks, GnR, heart, blondie, yoko kano and some other synthwave bands. Also which one would be better for immersion in gaming. I usually just play single player games with some coop games. I'm planning to get the 990s 80ohm if it helps. Also if there are any good alternatives, my budget is around 200. Thank you in advance!

I've got the DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm and love them.

The DT 770s would give better bass. The DT 990s would give a better soundstage. (Should be better for the music you listen to).

Just keep in mind with the DT 990s being open back, you're gonna let in more ambient sound and let out more of what you're listening to.

Also, if you're not satisfied with the stock earpads, I got the Brainwavz HM5 sheepskin leather pads and they're amazing. They take a little stretching and patience to get on, but they work great.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Just now, TheKDub said:

Also, if you're not satisfied with the stock earpads, I got the Brainwavz HM5 sheepskin leather pads and they're amazing. They take a little stretching and patience to get on, but they work great.

I would not put on sheepskin pads on a headphone with already great sound signature. I instead bought another velour pad. The dekoni elite velour pads. But yeah. Great info.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

4 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

Yes. You want to enjoy with open back mostly. So, if you don't know the difference in open back and closed back headphones. The big difference is the spaciousness and how more neutral the sound is. Closed back forces bassy sounds in but open back makes it more airy but still has a punchy bass. If you are unhappy with the sound just EQ if that is an option that you want to do. Also I'm there myself buddy. A wannabe audiophile ;). Now I don't know if you prefer a more open sound and less quantity of bass but better quality? But I love the sound of my DT 990 pros which sound fantastic with almost anything.

Personally I don't really care about bass, prefer more neutral , accurate, and better quality. Really wanna focus and can listen to each instrument 

7 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

I've got the DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm and love them.

The DT 770s would give better bass. The DT 990s would give a better soundstage. (Should be better for the music you listen to).

Just keep in mind with the DT 990s being open back, you're gonna let in more ambient sound and let out more of what you're listening to.

Hi thanks for the reply! How hard is it to change the pads if you don't mind me asking? I might just do that since I feel like the pads on my friends on the dt770 could be better. I assume it's the same on the dt990 since I'm leaning towards that more and more now hahaha

2 minutes ago, Incognito47 said:

Personally I don't really care about bass, prefer more neutral , accurate, and better quality. Really wanna focus and can listen to each instrument 

Then the DT 990's will be great for you. If you have no problem of noise around you or people hearing your music then the DT 990's it is.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

Just now, Incognito47 said:

Hi thanks for the reply! How hard is it to change the pads if you don't mind me asking? I might just do that since I feel like the pads on my friends on the dt770 could be better. I assume it's the same on the dt990 since I'm leaning towards that more and more now hahaha

The DT 770 pads are almost the same the DT 990 pads are softer and are more open. The pads change difficulty is pretty easy if you buy pads that are better than the stock. For example those I use. You can see it in the signature below. But to remove the old ones just pull them off. My advice don't buy the stock pads if you want memory foam that is less likely to get flattened over time.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

1 minute ago, Tigerleon said:

Then the DT 990's will be great for you. If you have no problem of noise around you or people hearing your music then the DT 990's it is.

Perfect thanks! Guess I'm gonna get the dt990s once it restocks in a week or so. 

On 10/5/2020 at 1:23 PM, Incognito47 said:

The stock ones are pretty easy to get off, but are somewhat tricky to get back on. The aftermarket pads I used were even harder to get on (because you've gotta stretch them a bit), but fit great once they're on.

Here's a video of how to take them off, clean the headphones, and put them back on. 

I couldn't find a video of how to put on the HM5 pads, but it's the same concept (just more stretching) as the normal pads.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

16 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

The stock ones are pretty easy to get off, but are somewhat tricky to get back on. The aftermarket pads I used were even harder to get on (because you've gotta stretch them a bit), but fit great once they're on.

Here's a video of how to take them off, clean the headphones, and put them back on. 

I couldn't find a video of how to put on the HM5 pads, but it's the same concept (just more stretching) as the normal pads.

Yeah it definitely depends on what pads you buy. I got the dekoni elite velour which are a bit bigger than the headphones and they fit both the DT 1990's and the 990's

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit