8-bit with 4:4:4 chroma or 12-bit with 4:2:2 chroma

Stahlmann

Hello good people,

i currently have a display that's running on 4K 60Hz. Until my 3080 arrives and i can use 4K 120Hz 12-bit i'm limited to HDMI 2.0 with a max of 4K 60Hz, but only with chroma subsampling or 8-bit colors. What's the better choice in your opinion for HDR gaming? What are the drawbacks of chroma subsampling other than slightly worse readability of text? The display is an LG C9 OLED. My guess is that 12-bit 4:2:2 is better because it will enable the DCI-P3 color gamut for HDR games.

8-bit color depth with 4:4:4 chroma

or

12-bit color depth with 4:2:2 chroma

Thanks in advance!

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

2 minutes ago, YsGrandi said:

try them both and see which looks better for you

Well the 12-bit 4:2:2 looks better to me, probably because of the wide-color-gamut support. But i'm still interested what drawbacks i have when using 12-bit 4:2:2 chroma compared to 8-bit 4:4:4.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

my knowledge in this is low but I think when using 4:2:2 text looks bad on windows

wait until someone who knows this stuff comes