If anyone is contemplating make a PSU shroud, go for it.

NadeMagnet69

It's truly easy peasy. I knew it wasn't going to be hard, but I didn't expect it to be so easy. lol Painting the darn thing turned out harder than making it to begin with. Stupidly held the spray paint too long in one spot while the second coat wasn't dry enough yet. Bubbled it up. So I had to let it dry completely and sand it down. Repainted it, aaaaaaaand it flops out of my hand as I was unsticking it to let the edge dry and it lands top down on the newspaper I was covering the table with, which of course stuck to it. lol REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! Third times a charm I guess... :(

Hang it from something if you can. I didn't have anywhere to do that so I had to use a table.

Everything except the cable grommet is available at home depot. The acrylic sheet was only 6 something bucks. 5 bucks for the plastic cutter knife. 21 bucks for the heat gun. 4 for the paint. lol 4 more bucks for more paint if you're me... Sigh... 5 bucks for acrylic adhesive if you're making a side wall like mine since I have bottom intake fans. 3 bucks for the cable grommet if you want a hole. And you got yourself a nice shroud. Fun little project that makes your PC look loads better if your case doesn't come with a shroud. Since there are already so many how to vids on how to measure and then bend the acrylic, the only thing I have to add is if you're gluing on a piece. Use acrylic glue similar to what's shown in my pic. It's not actual glue, I just don't know what else to call it. Instead of simply gluing the two pieces together, it melts it and makes a weld. A weld that turned out stronger than the acrylic itself as I found out when I tried to pull apart my test piece the next day and it broke off at where I was grabbing it instead of the weld breaking. That's another thing I'll add. Test it first. Had I just started off with the shroud I would have had a big drop run down the side of the shroud. The glue says medium body, referring to its thickness, but that's pretty much meaningless unless you know that type of material. Something like that makes it loads easier to sand down the seam without having to worry about it coming apart as opposed to something like super glue which isn't going to be nearly as strong.

20200929_165639.jpg

20201003_114716.jpg

Or just get a case with a basement for the PSU? 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

15 hours ago, Action_Johnson said:

Or just get a case with a basement for the PSU? 

If you already have a case you like or don't want to spend the money on a new case, making a PSU shroud is totally a viable option. Also, making something yourself can be quite satisfying, hence the modding subforum.

3 hours ago, artuc said:

Why didn't you just use black in the first place ?

My home depot only carries clear acrylic. I'm sure I could have ordered some black but I didn't think it was going to be such a fiasco to paint something that small.

5 hours ago, startrek03 said:

If you already have a case you like or don't want to spend the money on a new case, making a PSU shroud is totally a viable option. Also, making something yourself can be quite satisfying, hence the modding subforum.

Exactly. I could have just gotten a case with a side GPU intake fan too. But I wanted to cut a hole in the acrylic and mount a fan myself. Because it's fun to mod and create things. And as mods go that was even easier. Just needed a 5.5 inch hole saw.

20200923_165603.jpg