5960X or 10900K

I am planning or upgrading my system In the next few months and I currently have an intel 5820K OC 4.0GHZ on a custom loop. Would it be worth going on Ebay and just buying a 5960X for about $200 and some newer higher speed ram or Is it time to fully upgrade to something like a 10900K and do a full system build.  I would likely sell my whole system if I were to upgrade because because its fully hardline water cooled and the new GPUs seem to need allot of CPU to not bottle neck.  If I go the 5960X root I will likely try and find a used water cooled  RTX titan or RTX2080Ti if they are cheaper. If not I will wait for a 3080 and just upgrade the whole system likely move away from custom water cooling.  I dont really have a budget but at the end of the day I am cheap and like a good deal and I am ok with last gen or used hardware. 

i think 3080 are cheaper and better than used titans or 2080ti, so i'd go down that route with regards to the gpu.

if you play at 4k, even your current cpu should work well with the 3080. if you were to upgrade, I'd just sell what you have as a system and start from scratch.

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

i think 3080 are cheaper and better than used titans or 2080ti, so i'd go down that route with regards to the gpu.

if you play at 4k, even your current cpu should work well with the 3080. if you were to upgrade, I'd just sell what you have as a system and start from scratch.

ya right now the RTX titans and 2080/ti/supers are expensive still but once AMD launches and Nvidia gets there production in order in the coming months people will be upgrading and selling there old GPUs driving the used prices down. And the only reason I am upgrading Is for HDR and Ray tracing. Also Im only running at 1440P 165Hz

CPU bottlenecking depends entirely on how you will be gaming. At 1080p, there is no CPU on the market powerful enough to not bottleneck a 3080, but at 4K, you'd be fine with even something like a 3600.

Either AMD or modern Intel is going to require upgrading most of your system or building entirely new at this point, so I'd just plan to start new. However, I'd wait at least until Zen 3 comes out, it may even be worth seeing what Intel does with 11th gen, though that would be a much longer wait. AMD is going to be the more cost effective choice, but even though the Zen 2 chips are really good, the IPC and clock speed enhancements in Zen 3, are going to be worth waiting for, particularly for gaming.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Either stay or do a full upgrade. Wouldn't make much sense to go 5960X, you're not going to get more single core performance than your current, and only marginally more than what you have in loads that can use 4 more threads which isn't really many games. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Chris Pratt said:

CPU bottlenecking depends entirely on how you will be gaming. At 1080p, there is no CPU on the market powerful enough to not bottleneck a 3080, but at 4K, you'd be fine with even something like a 3600.

Either AMD or modern Intel is going to require upgrading most of your system or building entirely new at this point, so I'd just plan to start new. However, I'd wait at least until Zen 3 comes out, it may even be worth seeing what Intel does with 11th gen, though that would be a much longer wait. AMD is going to be the more cost effective choice, but even though the Zen 2 chips are really good, the IPC and clock speed enhancements in Zen 3, are going to be worth waiting for, particularly for gaming.

Well I am playing at 1440P and I am not looking to go AMD unless they blow the 10900K out of the water for gaming. Getting a AMD 3600 would be pointless the CPU I have now is comparable to the 3600 with out having to buy basically a whole new system. Also I am planning on waiting to see what AMD has to offer for there higher end stuff but I am just wondering if a minor CPU/GPU upgrade will get a few more years of life out of my system without having to go out and spend $3k on a new system.  

4 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Either stay or do a full upgrade. Wouldn't make much sense to go 5960X, you're not going to get more single core performance than your current, and only marginally more than what you have in loads that can use 4 more threads which isn't really many games. 

Ya I guess its time then 5 going on 6 years with this system seems pretty good I guess.  My issue is I tend to go cray when it comes to computer builds and I may get stabbed by my wife if she were to see the amount that this is going to cost lol. 

41 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

just buying a 5960X for about $200 and some newer higher speed ram

it's pretty good value, those old HEDT CPUs are still quite good in modern games. If you can get an 8 core Xeon and overclock it for cheaper, that's even better.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Ryzen 5900x will probably be better in every way, including gaming. If its just a gaming rig  go 5800x, which will also probably beat the 10900k in gaming based on leaked benchmarks. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB