Forum links not clickable

LWM723

I've posted some links on this forum and they are not clickable (not working). anyone know why or am I doing it wrong?

can you post an example?

but...there is a link icon in the editor, on the right to strikethrough

you can highlight your text and paste a link if you want

like this

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me (聽@Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards聽//聽Forum Quickstart Guide聽//聽Floatplane聽//聽Forum FAQ聽// TheParrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread聽who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE聽Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽........:oo:........

聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o聽 聽 聽 聽聽聽 聽 聽 聽.''''''''''''''.

聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN聽 聽 聽 聽|聽 聽PARTYON聽聽|

聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy聽 聽 聽 聽| ,............'

聽 聽 聽 聽 聽h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s聽聽|/

聽 聽 聽 Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

聽 聽 聽h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

聽 聽 聽m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

聽 聽 Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

聽 聽mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

聽 +++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

聽``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

聽++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

@Gegger
A link as an example I just copied from the address bar:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia

hmm, weird...i suppose you can click the link button and paste your url there?

just an fyi, your mention didn't work, the only reason i saw your reply was that i sometimes check my recent posts

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me (聽@Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards聽//聽Forum Quickstart Guide聽//聽Floatplane聽//聽Forum FAQ聽// TheParrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread聽who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE聽Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽........:oo:........

聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o聽 聽 聽 聽聽聽 聽 聽 聽.''''''''''''''.

聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN聽 聽 聽 聽|聽 聽PARTYON聽聽|

聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy聽 聽 聽 聽| ,............'

聽 聽 聽 聽 聽h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s聽聽|/

聽 聽 聽 Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

聽 聽 聽h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

聽 聽 聽m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

聽 聽 Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

聽 聽mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

聽 +++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

聽``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

聽++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

-> Moved to Forum Bugs and Issues

What browser are you using? The link is not pasting correctly. You can try to force it pasting as link by adding space after it (just like in Word or email software).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Thanks @LogicalDrm
I'll try that. I'm using Firefox. This link is a test:
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/

59 minutes ago, LWM723 said:

Thanks @LogicalDrm

(@LogicalDrm)

Your mentions also aren't working. I tried it myself and it seems like you need to click on the username for them to work, are you doing that?

When I copy the link from this post and paste it into my post, it says "Pasted as rich text. Paste as plain text instead". If I click that, it works. If I don't click it, it doesn't work (until I put a space behind it, then it starts to work [EDIT: or when I post it, it also works... weird]). Does this happen for you too?

PC SPECS:聽CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz -聽Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77)聽-聽GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB聽-聽RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB -聽Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -聽PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular聽聽-聽Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D聽聽-聽OS: Windows 7

1 hour ago, LWM723 said:

Thanks @LogicalDrm

Works for me with Firefox just like that. Are you using some extension which might be issue?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I'm on chrome and if you want a link to be clickable you have to paste it as plain text

Ctrl+shift+v

But normally copying from address bar shouldn't be an issue because there's no formatting attached to it, for me anyways

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I'll try that
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1252731-forum-links-not-clickable/#comment-14073637

1 hour ago, LWM723 said:

I copied your link and tried these:

ctrl+v:聽https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1252731-forum-links-not-clickable/#comment-14073637

ctrl+shift+v (paste as plain text):聽https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1252731-forum-links-not-clickable/#comment-14073637

the editor will embed it in both instances, but one is clickable link and one isnt if i chose not to embed it

edit: apparently it auto embedded a link to the ctrl+v after i press submit. hmm...

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I was able to reproduce this issue. I ran this test with Firefox 81.0 (Latest Stable) and Brave 1.14.84 (Chromium - Latest) within Windows Sandbox running Windows 10 1909. The following steps simulate the behavior normally encountered when visiting LinusTechTips with a new profile or after restarting with Firefox's "Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed" enabled:

• Inspect Element > Storage > Delete "Local Storage" (Firefox)
    Inspect Element > Application > Delete "Local Storage" (Chrome/Brave)
  • Refresh the page
  • Paste https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1252731-forum-links-not-clickable/?tab=comments#comment-14073773
  • Create one blank line
  • Hyperlink will not be created

Firefox:

image.thumb.png.c2c044d2f24c9e3f7b1e299b2bb3bb57.png

Brave:

image.thumb.png.be7b829da4cbb25f28ddc34f096fad51.png

If you refresh the page again hyperlinks will behave normally.

image.thumb.png.5369d98132ccfa3dc17537665664ae6c.png

I'm not entirely sure how @LWM723 consistently encounters this issue.

Edited by PorkishPig

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU聽- Ryzen 9 3900X聽| Cooler -聽Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard- ASUS TUF X570-PLUS |聽RAM聽- Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB聽|聽Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE |聽PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum |聽Storage聽- 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS聽- Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU聽- Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard- ASRock Z590M-ITX |聽RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)聽 | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS聽- TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

hmm odd issue as links should be auto embeded no matter how you paste them, some how the link is being put in the code in " " and that's why it is shown as text and not a link, now if that is caused by the browser or the editor i don't know with out spending time reading the coding, also is it just HTTPS links doing this or is it HTTP ones too?

lets see what this does:

"https://linustechtips.com/"聽

"http://google.com/"

https://linustechtips.com/

http://google.com/

EDIT:

well they all work so it is passing the text written in the editor correctly, its almost as if under certain situation it thinks the link is just聽text but that shouldnt be possible no matter the format, unless something in the code of the forums is telling the browser not to show the link, the same way the code tags work.

its not browser specific, as i can see the broken links on my screen too.

FYI - i do see 7 warnings and 4 errors in the code for the site聽when i debug the code as well which wont help matters.

Do you have any extensions that might be blocking scripts or requests, like ghostery or adblock? Converting pasted URLs into links is a relatively straight forward codepath, so for it to be failing consistently for you is weird.

Can you post a screenshot of the console tab of the dev tools (F12) just after you've tried pasting a link?

HTTP/2 203

5 hours ago, PorkishPig said:

Maybe OP pastes as plain text instead of an ordinary聽paste?

A PC Enthusiast聽since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE聽GTX 1660 GAMING OC聽@ Core聽2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

2 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Pasting as plain text will still cause URLs to be replaced into links.

HTTP/2 203

2 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Shouldn't matter, pressing space or enter should change it to a hyperlink.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU聽- Ryzen 9 3900X聽| Cooler -聽Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard- ASUS TUF X570-PLUS |聽RAM聽- Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB聽|聽Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE |聽PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum |聽Storage聽- 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS聽- Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU聽- Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard- ASRock Z590M-ITX |聽RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)聽 | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS聽- TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

Even as plain text it should just work, and in my testing above it worked flawlessly, so we kind of need OPs exact steps because i am certain its a bug in the forums code.

Also i have noticed that its not just the OP that seems to have the issue as the link in聽PorkishPig's post is also dead,聽but that being said when moonzy quoted a broken link above the link in her quote actually works fine.聽

1 minute ago, colonel_mortis said:

Pasting as plain text will still cause URLs to be replaced into links.

Never mind,it works even as plain text.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE聽GTX 1660 GAMING OC聽@ Core聽2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

1 minute ago, CerberusStyle said:

Even as plain text it should just work, and in my testing above it worked flawlessly, so we kind of need OPs exact steps because i am certain its a bug in the forums code.

Also i have noticed that its not just the OP that seems to have the issue as the link in聽PorkishPig's post is also dead,聽but that being said when moonzy quoted a broken link above the link in her quote actually works fine.聽

I suspect it's something in OP's browser.

Could be an extension or something like that.

6 hours ago, PorkishPig said:

I was able to reproduce this issue. I ran this test with Firefox 81.0 (Latest Stable) and Brave 1.14.84 (Chromium - Latest) within Windows Sandbox running Windows 10 1909. The following steps simulate the behavior normally encountered when visiting LinusTechTips with a new profile or after restarting with Firefox's "Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed" enabled:

Firefox:

Brave:

If you refresh the page again hyperlinks will behave normally.

I've reproduced that, and reported the issue + fix to the forum software devs.

@LWM723 it's possible that this is the issue you're experiencing. To test that, can you try clearing the Local Storage for this site, as described as above, then try a couple of times to see if it starts working after a couple of refreshes? However, if you're also having issues with mentions (it should show a dropdown when you start mentioning) then that is not the same issue.

image.png

HTTP/2 203

In safw mode, all extensions disabled:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1252731-forum-links-not-clickable/?do=editComment&comment=14075965