Acrobat replacement? Cheap/free?

Looking for an acrobat replacement (or source for CHEAP - cannot find gray like win 10 keys...).

I've been let go in this recession and our school system has gone full remote. I need to get 4 of us able to edit pdf's. I don't want a subscription and would prefer something that han bring in all pages as opposed to something like illustrator or gimp. Word conversion just garbles everything.

Please let me know if anyone has a decent suggestion. I'm willing to pay for a perpetual license (within reason) but for all I know we'll all be back to work and school in a few weeks...

Thanks,

joe

I recommend LibreOffice Draw. It's not as pretty as Acrobat, but it includes most of the features you'll need.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

For microsoft office i just use it's native export to PDF.

You just need to adjust some things, like margins, also preview it before exporting.

The way it works is the same as printing to a paper.

All modern software have it's native tool to export PDF.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

All modern software have it's native tool to export PDF.

Generally true, although beware of some proprietary software which will make it a paid feature or watermark the output... I know some do it with export to JPEG, so I imagine there are some that do it with PDF as well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Thanks for the ideas, I don't need to export to PDF as much as edit.

I looked at foxit and thought it was just a free trial offer, I'll revisit.

I'll check out libre draw, I thought it was a single page editor.

Thanks for the ideas! Keep them coming if someone catches this. I'll update what works for the wife and kids.

Running libre, just the common learning curve, the only issue so far is that it breaks the internal page links (for the occasional creator that puts them in).