can't remove graphics card

frozensun

I tried all.I pressed plastic retension clip and at same time pushing card towards myself but it simply won't remove from PCIE slot.

I checked the backside of the case and pictured for you,seems like those metal holders are in place by some protusions inside the case,as you can see on pic.

I really didn't try to press plastic retension clip hard,because I'm affraid of breaking it,and that I suppose could cause serious problem and void RMA of the board.

I did remove this card 2 months ago,but forgive me I dunno how the hell I manage it.

The card removes from slot for few m.m but that is it.

20200927_105855.jpg

20200927_105859.jpg

20200927_105937.jpg

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

You're screwed (in)

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

The PCI bracket is still screwed in...

The picture was taken after screwing back the screws.sorry.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

First I unscrew the card,removed pci-e power connector,and then used wooden stic to push the plastic retension at same time pushing the card towards me...it did move few mmm but that is all.

I can't force to push plastic retension with higher force because once on Asrock board I did break it.

seems like Asus has some weird plastic retension clips.

Just now, frozensun said:

The picture was taken after screwing back the screws.sorry.

Unscrew the one beneath it as well, sometimes it can get stuck. 

You might need to wiggle the card a bit (parallel with the slot, don't bend it up or down much) while continuing to press down on the tab to get it out. 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Unscrew the one beneath it as well, sometimes it can get stuck. 

You might need to wiggle the card a bit (parallel with the slot, don't bend it up or down much) while continuing to press down on the tab to get it out. 

so let's resume wiggle the card and at the same time holding the press onto plastic retension clip.

How much force should I apply to it?

Can it break?

2 minutes ago, frozensun said:

First I unscrew the card,removed pci-e power connector,and then used wooden stic to push the plastic retension at same time pushing the card towards me...it did move few mmm but that is all.

I can't force to push plastic retension with higher force because once on Asrock board I did break it.

Try this:

- Unscrew the graphics card

- Push thje graphics all the way back in, make the PCIe lock click up again

- Push the locking tab down (unlocking it)

- Pull of the LEFT side of the graphics card

Usually if you pull on the rightr side of hte graphics card, it gets caught and doesnlt pull out

so let's resume wiggle the card and at the same time holding the press onto plastic retension clip.

Can it break?

You don't need to hold the PCIe lock back. Just push it back into the open position, unscrew the PCIe slot cover below the card (along with the ones holding the card's bracket), then try pulling the card out (first the left side, then the right towards the PCIe lock).

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Can it break?

I'd try what @For Science! suggested too. Push it back in so the retention clip snaps back in, then try removing it again. 

Kind of hard to describe how much force. It won't just slide out, you do need to pull it a bit but you also don't need to yank it out. 

Of course you can break it if you pull it too hard in the wrong way or yank it out while the retention clip is still locked in. 

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

Try this:

- Unscrew the graphics card

- Push thje graphics all the way back in, make the PCIe lock click up again

- Push the locking tab down (unlocking it)

- Pull of the LEFT side of the graphics card

Usually if you pull on the rightr side of hte graphics card, it gets caught and doesnlt pull out

so pushing card towards me while holding retension clip /pushing it down is a mistake?

Are you sure it won't break when I push it in while the card is in slot?

2 minutes ago, frozensun said:

so pushing card towards me while holding retension clip /pushing it down is a mistake?

Are you sure it won't break when I push it in while the card is in slot?

Sorry, I legit don't understand what you said on the first line. All I told you to do was to re-install the graphics card fully by pushing it back in, and redoing the unmounting procedure but pulling mainly on the left side of the graphics card (where it says GEFORCE RTX) as opposed to where you might intuitively pull, which is on the right side close to the tab.

I am sure I won't be breaking anything, but I cannot be sure that you won't break anything.

like this:

First push the retension clip with wooden tip all the way in.

Then wigle the card and try to remove the left part first and then right part of the card,right?

I don't hold wooden tip at all,once I press the plastic retension clip to I hope opened position?

3 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Sorry, I legit don't understand what you said on the first line. All I told you to do was to re-install the graphics card fully by pushing it back in, and redoing the unmounting procedure but pulling mainly on the left side of the graphics card (where it says GEFORCE RTX) as opposed to where you might intuitively pull, which is on the right side close to the tab.

I am sure I won't be breaking anything, but I cannot be sure that you won't break anything.

like this:

Then wigle the card and try to remove the left part first and then right part of the card,right?

I don't hold wooden tip at all,once I press the plastic retension clip to I hope opened position?

1 minute ago, frozensun said:

like this:

I wouldn't wiggle a card, you might click it back in, just a smooth pull from the left side should be sufficient, and therefore no need to hold down the retention clip either. I guess if you did wiggle, yes, you would probably hold the retention click down, but why bother. It's not so difficult, try it out, or get your IT guy to come in and show you again if you are anxious as usual.

So that looks like a pain, armour on motherboards, but there should be room.

Unscrewing is obvious, then imo you want to get like a chopstick to hold the tab down in case the throw is a little short, then pull from the RIGHT side first, LEFT side may relock the tab as it leans the card toward the front of the case.

That should do it.

5 minutes ago, For Science! said:

I wouldn't wiggle a card, you might click it back in, just a smooth pull from the left side should be sufficient, and therefore no need to hold down the retention clip either. I guess if you did wiggle, yes, you would probably hold the retention click down, but why bother. It's not so difficult, try it out, or get your IT guy to come in and show you again if you are anxious as usual.

but when I push the plastic retension clip,it should pop the card out right?

Then ir's easy to remove the card.

But that doesn't happen.

As I stated even If i do press the retesnion clip quite bit nothing happens,card moves just few mm towards out.

So before everything I press the plastic retension clip by force,then remove woden tip and try to remove the card by holding it on the left side and then to the right side,am I correct?

but when I push the plastic retension clip,it should pop the card out right?

Then ir's easy to remove the card.

But that doesn't happen.

As I stated even If i do press the retesnion clip quite bit nothing happens,card moves just few mm towards out.

So before everything I press the plastic retension clip by force,then remove woden tip and try to remove the card by holding it on the left side and then to the right side,am I correct?

No, when you push the plastic retention clip, the card does not pop out (it may move ever so slightly, but not in a big way).

I go for the rear side first since pulling up that side pushes the side with lock down

1) unscrew both screws

2) unplug all cables including monitor and pcie power

3) pull up pcie bracket side first, until you feel it come up

4) unlock pcie slot, then pull that side

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Guys,you are confusing me,should I press the retension clip whole time while removing the card/pushing towards me,or just press once and then pull card towards me?

3 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Guys,you are confusing me,should I press the retension clip whole time while removing the card/pushing towards me,or just press once and then pull card towards me?

Basically it's such an easy operation that there are million ways to do it. You are asking people the equivalent of how to unmount a fan from the chassis and getting confused over which screw to unscrew first.

33 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Basically it's such an easy operation that there are million ways to do it. You are asking people the equivalent of how to unmount a fan from the chassis and getting confused over which screw to unscrew first.

It's not always an easy operation. I've got graphics cards stuck many times before.

37 minutes ago, frozensun said:

It depends per motherboard. Do you have a second PCIe slot? Maybe you can closely examine the retention clip there, see what it does. :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

3 hours ago, TomvanWijnen said:

It's not always an easy operation. I've got graphics cards stuck many times before.

The only time I ever felt that "oof, this is going to be some work" was when I had to take out the bottom graphics card to install a M.2 device from my Quad-980Ti build.

20170928_153408.jpg.2878f311d6fc0b2824b2f13e4ecefc7b.jpg

1 hour ago, For Science! said:

The only time I ever felt that "oof, this is going to some work" was when I had to take out the bottom graphics card to install a M.2 device from my Quad-980Ti build.

Nice build! I can't see from the picture, but of you're able to get at the clip, and it's a convenient clip, it's just a matter of taking all four out.

Here are two (mediocre, sorry, was from my old phone in the dark) pictures of what I've had to deal with. That second GPU was one I tried for a friend (sadly definitely dead), the top one is my GPU.

QYnkTN4.jpg

k5gCqWF.jpg

The bottom clip is clearly unreachable. The top clip... well, I'm lucky that it's behind one of the "cutouts" of my CPU cooler, as otherwise it would be completely unreachable... Still, it's very unpleasant to get at. I need to use a long, thin, wooden stick, to push very hard at the retention clip in between the GPU and CPU cooler, at the danger of it slipping off and taking out the capacitor that's very near. While doing that, I need to hold and pull the GPU, and make sure my case doesn't topple over due to the pushing pressure.

The GPU and CPU cooler are so close to each other, that I've had to bend both fan brackets/clips, as they were touching my GPU.

Not long after I got it out and put it back in, I had to get it out again to put in my M.2 SSD... Sigh. :P Then my M.2 SSD was only running at x1 speeds to I had to reinsert it... which meant taking out the GPU again. :) Double sigh. :P

Anyways, this is still my build today, and I'm not looking forward to whenever I have to take my GPU out again...

I've had a few other situations with GPUs getting stuck on the stupid retention clips, all of which worked in a different stupid way. I've also had some that you had to push perpendicular to the motherboard, but were hidden below graphics cards and stuff in the way. It's almost always been a massive hassle for me. :P

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7