3080 with a 5 3600 bottleneck?

Qwewtt

I have a 5 600 CPU with a 144hz Monitor and I was wondering how bad the bottleneck would be with a 3080 because I’ve heard a couple rumors that it could be pretty bad in some cases. If anybody has any information that would be awesome thanks.

Depends on what games you play and at what resolution. In very CPU-bound games like CS:GO, I'd expect the bottleneck to be 10-15%. In GPU-bound games like The Witcher 3, it's going to be less, maybe 5-10% percent. Resolution is a similar story. The most pronounced bottlenecks will be at 1080p, where your GPU isn't being fully utilized. At 1440p and 4K however, the bottleneck won't be as noticeable. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

25 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

Depends on what games you play and at what resolution. In very CPU-bound games like CS:GO, I'd expect the bottleneck to be 10-15%. In GPU-bound games like The Witcher 3, it's going to be less, maybe 5-10% percent. Resolution is a similar story. The most pronounced bottlenecks will be at 1080p, where your GPU isn't being fully utilized. At 1440p and 4K however, the bottleneck won't be as noticeable. 

So do you think I should get a better CPU or is the one I have perfectly fine?

1 minute ago, Qwewtt said:

So do you think I should get a better CPU or is the one I have perfectly fine?

Like I said, depends on:

1. The resolution of your monitor.
  2. Whether the games you play are GPU or GPU bound.
  3. Whether or not you're okay leaving a small amount of performance on the table.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

I mostly play games like city skyline not too intensive or demanding games and things like GTA five

1 minute ago, bellabichon said:

Like I said, depends on:

1. The resolution of your monitor.
  2. Whether the games you play are GPU or GPU bound.
  3. Whether or not you're okay leaving a small amount of performance on the table.

I don't like to repeat people, but I feel like it helps here.

bellabichin is right on the money here. It's all about what you do with your system and what you're okay with.

Do you play CS:GO? Then what the heck? NO, you're fine. CS:GO is from like 40 years ago. (Exaggeration.)

Do you play at 4K resolution, or at 1440p ultrawide? Then you're usually fine.

Do you play at 2560x1440px at 144Hz? Then you're mostly fine. Depending on the game you should still get a lot out of that monitor.

Do you play at 1440p 60Hz or 1080p 144Hz or less? Get a better CPU. Your R5 2600 is now, or is quickly going to become a bottleneck.

But others here: feel free to supplement. I might be off in certain games. And you know how this works. ;)

13 minutes ago, Asthereal said:

I don't like to repeat people, but I feel like it helps here.

bellabichin is right on the money here. It's all about what you do with your system and what you're okay with.

Do you play CS:GO? Then what the heck? NO, you're fine. CS:GO is from like 40 years ago. (Exaggeration.)

Do you play at 4K resolution, or at 1440p ultrawide? Then you're usually fine.

Do you play at 2560x1440px at 144Hz? Then you're mostly fine. Depending on the game you should still get a lot out of that monitor.

Do you play at 1440p 60Hz or 1080p 144Hz or less? Get a better CPU. Your R5 2600 is now, or is quickly going to become a bottleneck.

But others here: feel free to supplement. I might be off in certain games. And you know how this works. ;)

Its a 5 3600 

4k: should be just fine

1440p: should be OK but might bottleneck somewhat

1080p: would assume it will bottleneck

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

It should be fine. But if you want to upgrade your CPU I'd wait 'til Zen three comes out. Apparently it's suppose to come out by mid-October.

Just here for some fun.

✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦

PC Build 1: Great Ape (Main Rig) > https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DJ_saiyanprince/saved/nKjHGX

CPU: Ryzen 3700X

GPU: ASUS GTX 1070Ti 8GB ROG STRIX
PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750 W

Mobo: MSI MPG B550 GAMING CARBON WIFI

Case: Corsair 4000D

PC Build 2: Piccolo (Emulation/ITX/Transportable) > https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DJ_saiyanprince/saved/tDBdHx

CPU: Intel i5-11400

GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 3GB SC
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA GM 550 W

Mobo: ASRock Z590M-ITX/ax

Case: Silverstone RVZ03

✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦

♪♫ "2-to the-1-to the-1-to the-3 I like good OC and RGB. Configure so much, you wouldn't believe. And I get more blue screen than a Walmart PC" ♪♫

1 hour ago, Qwewtt said:

I mostly play games like city skyline not too intensive or demanding games and things like GTA five

What's your current GPU? 

1 hour ago, Qwewtt said:

So then why do you want a 3080?

A 3070 would be overkill already. 

Personally, I would wait until November. I have a strong feeling that Nvidia knows that AMD has something very compelling to consumers. As I see them panicking. The fact that the all GeForce 3080 are virtually non-OC-able and hungry power, means that Nvidia is already pushing the GPUs to their absolute limit in terms of mass production. Mixed with the rushed launch... and lower pricing, to me, they really wanted to get the most of their sales now, before AMD releases their GPUs to the mass. The missing memory chip on the 3080, indicates a higher memory model is already ready as a response to AMD, to help push sales.

Last time I saw Nvidia release a GPU that pushed to its limits, was with the GeForce 480 (Fermi). The new massive cooler of the 3080, is just Nvidia wanting to avoid a cooler design, that would be technically speaking be adequate (keeping the GPU under 100C, but still run super hot under load), and be laugh at, as was the 480 being called Thermi, and made a joke of being a grill.

It has clearly succeeded. But the reality of this, is based on the GPU power requirements, it is a hot chip and the fact you can't really OC them.... clearly, as I said, they are pushed to their limit out of the box.

All to say, I would wait to see what AMD has... beside what is the rush? The 30 series are hard to get.

And for the mentioned games, they are CPU demanding, not GPU... maybe a CPU upgrade would be more valuable. AMD next gen CPU coming up later, maybe?

1 hour ago, Qwewtt said:

These games are famously known to favor fast Intel CPU cores over anything else for performance so unless you want to render them in 4k there is really no point in you buying such a high performing GPU.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

9 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

These games are famously known to favor fast Intel CPU cores over anything else for performance so unless you want to render them in 4k there is really no point in you buying such a high performing GPU.

I can’t find anything else and there the same price as the one I was going to buy

1 hour ago, Bad5ector said:

What's your current GPU? 

GTX 1660

55 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

I just looked at GTA five and city skylines most of them were pretty GPU heavy according to NZXT cam

1 hour ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

I was thinking the same thing.

30 minutes ago, Qwewtt said:

I just looked at GTA five and city skylines most of them were pretty GPU heavy according to NZXT cam

Yeah because your current GPU is a wimp and just about anything will make it sweat.

If you want to ''simulate'' having more GPU horsepower just lower your resolution to 720p for example ...then you'll see how much performance your system could potentially provide with a more powerful card...albeit at higher resolution and settings I hope you see the point?

I played cities skyline a lot and it don't want to run at 60fps if you load a big evolved city...it just won't regardless ...even at 480p

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR