How To Change GPU Thermal Paste?

Curesto

Hi, i need to change my GPU's thermal paste. Because, it's hitting 98 degree celsius even at %60 load. I've never done this before.

As far as i know it's an risky process. What should i do?

GPU Model: Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X OC 3GB GDDR5 384-Bit

It's not hard at all. Watch some youtube videos 

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

remove all screws from the backplate, then pop that off, remove the screws from the back of the pcb. the cooler will pop off if you pull a little bit, then unfold the cooler like a book. make sure the thermal pads didn't move or tear, if they did, just put them back in the right place. wipe off the thermal paste, apply new, repeat steps backward to reassemble card. if any questions, just post. i will be following.

Before you do anything, watch a teardown of the card to get an idea of the process.
I even found one for you. It's a 290X, but it should look very similar:

(To be honest, the video isn't exactly great. But should give you an idea. You only have to go so far to take the cooler off the PCB.)

Make sure you ground yourself properly to not build up any static electricity and then just be careful and take your time.
If you're not sure about something, post a picture here on the forum and ask for help.

It looks much harder than it is and as long as you think before you do anything, nothing can go wrong.

1 minute ago, Red_Fox_1293 said:

remove all screws from the backplate, then pop that off, remove the screws from the back of the pcb. the cooler will pop off if you pull a little bit, then unfold the cooler like a book. make sure the thermal pads didn't move or tear, if they did, just put them back in the right place. wipe off the thermal paste, apply new, repeat steps backward to reassemble card. if any questions, just post. i will be following.

There's no screws on the backplate of my card. I don't know how to remove cooler from the GPU.

18 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Before you do anything, watch a teardown of the card to get an idea of the process.
I even found one for you. It's a 290X, but it should look very similar:

(To be honest, the video isn't exactly great. But should give you an idea. You only have to go so far to take the cooler off the PCB.)

Make sure you ground yourself properly to not build up any static electricity and then just be careful and take your time.
If you're not sure about something, post a picture here on the forum and ask for help.

It looks much harder than it is and as long as you think before you do anything, nothing can go wrong.

Oh, thanks. But, how to get rid of the static electricity? Which surface do you recommend to this process?

9 minutes ago, Curesto said:

Oh, thanks. But, how to get rid of the static electricity? Which surface do you recommend to this process?

Best thing would be to use a wooden table and a anti-static mat. But you probably don't have a anti-static mat, so instead you can touch something that is properly grounded from time to time. For example your power supply (needs to be plugged into the wall) or a heater.

It is unlikely that you damage the card with static electricity, but it's better to be safe than sorry. 

5 minutes ago, Curesto said:

Oh, thanks. But, how to get rid of the static electricity?

just stand on wooden/stone floor with bare feet, no sock no shoe

no carpet

touch your plugged in PSU (but not powered on) occasionally (every 5 minute or so) to be extra safe

6 minutes ago, Curesto said:

Which surface do you recommend to this process?

work on a wooden table is preferred, glass is fine too

non metallic table

non smooth plastic table preferred

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

29 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

just stand on wooden/stone floor with bare feet, no sock no shoe

no carpet

touch your plugged in PSU (but not powered on) occasionally (every 5 minute or so) to be extra safe

work on a wooden table is preferred, glass is fine too

non metallic table

non smooth plastic table preferred

Thanks.