Best settings for Asus Router? (AC-3100)

Dafydd Taylor

Hey I am kinda new to not having a router from the ISP and was wondering if anyone was into that sort of thing and had any suggestions for an ASUS router which I'm currently using.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

this really depends on your usecase and goals. Anything you want to improve?

Yes I find the range even on the 2.4 Ghz to be not great and speed is a problem in the downstairs of our house. But I mainly wanted general tips like if i should use ipv6 etc.

Most consumer routers are meant to be mostly good out of the box. The only thing I would recommend changing would be the wifi name and password. If you run into issues with something not working then we can troubleshoot from there, but in general you shouldn't need to actually do much.

2 minutes ago, Dafydd Taylor said:

Yes I find the range even on the 2.4 Ghz to be not great and speed is a problem in the downstairs of our house. But I mainly wanted general tips like if i should use ipv6 etc.

How big is your place?  You often need multiple access points for larger places.

No rason to turn off ipv6, its going to be used more and more in the future.

Just now, AngryBeaver said:

Most consumer routers are meant to be mostly good out of the box. The only thing I would recommend changing would be the wifi name and password. If you run into issues with something not working then we can troubleshoot from there, but in general you shouldn't need to actually do much.

Ok thanks I found a guide online that I am looking at. I really appreciate the fast response.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/best-setup-for-the-asus-rt-ac68u-actualized-to-2019.55684/

I know its not my router but Im not planing to follow it just get some general tips. 

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

How big is your place?  You often need multiple access points for larger places.

No rason to turn off ipv6, its going to be used more and more in the future.

It's about 2500 square feet  

There is no such thing as "best settings". You simply can't generalize it that way.

If you're not getting the range and signal quality you would like then there isn't much you can do software wise. Most routers are already set to max transmission power legally allowed by default.

13 hours ago, LAwLz said:

There is no such thing as "best settings". You simply can't generalize it that way.

If you're not getting the range and signal quality you would like then there isn't much you can do software wise. Most routers are already set to max transmission power legally allowed by default.

LAwLz is correct on this. If you had deadspots you either need more AP's, powerline to ethernet/wifi, or a combination of wired and wifi devices to maximize speed. I can't really dig right now, but some of the higher end wifi routers come with 3 bands... 2.4, 5ghz, and a 3rd for a mesh system.

As an example we purchased a house we plan to move in to next summer. It is about 4800 sq/ft. I had thr bedrooms and office all wired to ethernet to a wall plate. Then to maximize through put placed multiple wired wifi APs in the house with one room having to much wiring in the walls it was basically a Faraday cage... which we ran a powerline wifi adapter to (wish we knew this before hand and I would have had it wired up for ethernet too lol).

Now one of previous residents was a 2 story with full basement 1800 sqft home. I could easily get coverage throughout the house with 2.4ghz on a single high-end router.

Lastly, I've seen small apartments where you can't get more than 1 or 2 bars of signal a room away. There are just a ton of factors when it comes to wifi strength and penetration.