Need Advice on Getting Ethernet to my PC

Stephan T

I temporarily moved to a new location and got a taste of sweet low-latency ethernet gaming, and now that I'm back at home I've been chasing that high and looking to get myself back onto an ethernet connection. My main problems have been that my router is a few rooms away, there's no ethernet wiring going throughout the house, and moving the router isn't an ideal option (but if it really comes to it I might have to). I'm currently on a cable connection, so there's coax wiring going throughout my house. After a bunch of google searches I've found a few options that could work, but each have their own drawbacks. I could use a MoCA adapter to get my ethernet over the coax wiring, but the investment is pretty costly considering that I'd need to get two adapters and I'd like to try to keep the solution under $100. I've considered buying a modem and plugging my PC directly into that, but I've read about a bunch of security flaws with this solution. The last solution is to just install ethernet wiring in my house or run a wire straight to my router through the wall, which I honestly don't know much about how I would go about doing this. That leads me to my questions for you guys, what's my best low-latency option under $100? Is there really anything to worry about when it comes to plugging my PC straight into a dedicated modem? Should I cough up the extra money to buy some MoCA adapters and call it a day? Is my best option to just figure out how to wire my house with ethernet? Are there better options I'm completely missing? Let me know if there's any more information / clarifications I should be giving, and thanks a ton in advance for your time!

7 minutes ago, Stephan T said:

I've considered buying a modem and plugging my PC directly into that, but I've read about a bunch of security flaws with this solution.

The other issue is a second modem will require a second line from the isp.

Moca really is your best option here, but its not cheap.

What modem + router do you have? Some have moca built in.

9 minutes ago, Stephan T said:

The last solution is to just install ethernet wiring in my house or run a wire straight to my router through the wall, which I honestly don't know much about how I would go about doing this.

What I would Do Is Run A Ethernet Cable And On The End Of The Ethernet Cable Use a router (If You have more devices like tablets,laptops,or phones) Thats What I Did On My Home And What Im Using Right now And Also Isolates Your Devices And Basically Gives you your own connection because if you have more than 3 people on Wifi Is Going To Go Down Depending On What They Are Doing.

And Also  I Even Went As Far To Setup A Guest Network So When My Friends Come We Can Connect Play And Also Connect the Laptops For Doing Our Show (Wich We Have Not Dont Since Quarantine Started on Where I Live).

I Also Understand you Are trying not to run a ethernet Cable Thru the wall But You Can Run It Outside and not thru the walls.

Hope it helps 

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What modem + router do you have? Some have moca built in.

Hi! Thank you for your response! My router is a Netgear C6300, which seems to not have moca built in. Would you happen to know of any MoCA options that won't go too far over $100? I don't ever go over 100mb download so I wouldn't anything too fast like the 2gb ones I've been mainly seeing. I'm mainly looking for the low latency with this ethernet connection

5 minutes ago, Stephan T said:

Hi! Thank you for your response! My router is a Netgear C6300, which seems to not have moca built in. Would you happen to know of any MoCA options that won't go too far over $100? I don't ever go over 100mb download so I wouldn't anything too fast like the 2gb ones I've been mainly seeing. I'm mainly looking for the low latency with this ethernet connection

There are $110 and seem reasonable. https://www.amazon.com/Kiwee-Broadband-Ethernet-Adapter-KB-M3-01L/dp/B088K3F63F/ref=sr_1_13?crid=3E3UWAB0752E2&dchild=1&keywords=moca+adapter&qid=1600814210&sprefix=moca%2Caps%2C223&sr=8-13#customerReviews

Oh wow! It looks like a lot of people responded, thanks a ton!

6 minutes ago, Lesantir_12 said:

What I would Do Is Run A Ethernet Cable And On The End Of The Ethernet Cable Use a router (If You have more devices like tablets,laptops,or phones) Thats What I Did On My Home And What Im Using Right now And Also Isolates Your Devices And Basically Gives you your own connection because if you have more than 3 people on Wifi Is Going To Go Down Depending On What They Are Doing.

And Also  I Even Went As Far To Setup A Guest Network So When My Friends Come We Can Connect Play And Also Connect the Laptops For Doing Our Show (Wich We Have Not Dont Since Quarantine Started on Where I Live).

I Also Understand you Are trying not to run a ethernet Cable Thru the wall But You Can Run It Outside and not thru the walls.

Hope it helps 

I'm not sure that having my own dedicated wifi connection would quite give me what I'm looking for, I'm pretty set on trying to get ethernet if I'm gonna do anything. Also, it would be really messy and not at all presentable to run them outside of the walls as there would be wires going all throughout my house! lol. I really appreciate the thoughts though!

6 minutes ago, Toxiclegend said:

What about a power line adapter?

I'm not super familiar with these but from a quick google search it seems like it might not be ideal for my low download speed internet (typically sits somewhere around 50mb). I also didn't really see how much this would improve my latency. Could you maybe give me a little more information on this solution or send me a website that could help me? Thanks a lot!

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

This helps me a ton! I think this is definitely the top option for me as of right now, I really appreciate it!

32 minutes ago, Stephan T said:

Oh wow! It looks like a lot of people responded, thanks a ton!

I'm not sure that having my own dedicated wifi connection would quite give me what I'm looking for, I'm pretty set on trying to get ethernet if I'm gonna do anything. Also, it would be really messy and not at all presentable to run them outside of the walls as there would be wires going all throughout my house! lol. I really appreciate the thoughts though!

I'm not super familiar with these but from a quick google search it seems like it might not be ideal for my low download speed internet (typically sits somewhere around 50mb). I also didn't really see how much this would improve my latency. Could you maybe give me a little more information on this solution or send me a website that could help me? Thanks a lot!

Essentially what a power line adapter does is uses the houses electrical circuit to extend the possibility of ethetnet.

It's actually not too bad latency as it uses power wires in the house. You plug in near the router and plug and ether cable into it then near your pc you plug in the other adapter and put the ethetnet cable into to your pc and the socket. Meaning you can have a wired connection anywhere in the house.

The latency should be low but there are variables like the quality and age of the wiring in the house itself.

As for that reason it's hard to find any solid proof but I've used them at work and personally before with great success even with 25/10 Internet it was better than wireless but not as good as being plugged right in but you won't really tell too much. You get the full speed and lower pings compared to wireless

kinda late here and not an expert but what about a network switch (tip: your router probably has one built in)? You could then plug you router into it and also run Ethernet to the room (they co (thats what I did) to the room with the PC.

Also, looking at other replies maybe you shouldn't

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Thank you to everyone for your responses! You've given me a ton of information to consider and this has really helped me in making a decision. I really appreciate it!