potential bottleneck

AzrealNoctis
Go to solution Solved by Zando_,

You'll be fine. 

while i dont think it will, is it possible that a ryzen 5 3600 will bottleneck a 3070? again i doubt it but i figured id check.

You'll be fine. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

13 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

You'll be fine. 

you will see a bottleneck, but it wont be bat at 1440p high.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

you will see a bottleneck, but it wont be bat at 1440p high.

There's a bottleneck about 100% of the time in every single application on every single PC because nothing is built to perfectly scale across 100% of the usable hardware at all times. 

There won't be any bottleneck that actually impacts the user experience in any meaningful way, thus the answer "you'll be fine". I'm not interested in stupid overcomplication for no practical reason. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Actually, to follow up on this question, i was looking for some articles re this same topic. I have seen in so many places that bottlenecking the gpu is less likely at higher res, as things then tend to be limited by the CPU. Can anyone shed a bit of light on the topic. Why does higher res impact the CPU more than the GPU?

30 minutes ago, hockayak said:

Actually, to follow up on this question, i was looking for some articles re this same topic. I have seen in so many places that bottlenecking the gpu is less likely at higher res, as things then tend to be limited by the CPU. Can anyone shed a bit of light on the topic. Why does higher res impact the CPU more than the GPU?

You have it backwards. The CPU is typically the limiting factor at low resolutions, and the GPU is typically the limiting factor at high resolutions.

This post I saw elsewhere explains it very well:

So imagine that the CPU is a professor assigning papers, and the GPU is the student who has to write them.

1080p is like the professor assigning a 5 paragraph open ended essay. No big deal, quick and easy for the GPU to complete. Give it back to the professor to grade and say "Okay done, give me the next assignment". This means the professor has to grade really frequently and have new prompts ready to go just about every class period, if not more often.

4k is like the CPU/professor assigning a 25-30 page in-depth research paper. It takes the GPU/student A LOT longer to complete something of that scale, so the professor doesn't have to grade nearly as much, and doesn't need to hand out new prompts very often because that one takes so long to complete.

This is how CPU/GPU work together to build the world. The CPU basically says "hey I need you to make this world", the GPU renders and says "Got it, next please", and then it repeats. If the GPU takes longer amount of time before it asks for the next frame, the CPU has to give less instruction.

Current build: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, ASUS PRIME X570-Pro, EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra, G.Skill 2x16GB 3600C16 DDR4, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, Sabrent Rocket 1TB, Corsair RM750x, Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, LG 27GL83A-B

10 hours ago, AzrealNoctis said:

while i dont think it will, is it possible that a ryzen 5 3600 will bottleneck a 3070? again i doubt it but i figured id check.

You won't see a bottleneck so don't worry