disable type to search in windows start menu.

Shinon214

is there a way to disable "type to search" in start menu?asdfgas.PNG.d4cd46c85b7d13b77293a5f17814f10c.PNG

else is there a way to disable taskbar all together?

7 minutes ago, Shinon214 said:

is there a way to disable taskbar all together?

You can hide it and pretend it never exist

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

35 minutes ago, Shinon214 said:

is there a way to disable "type to search" in start menu?

Sort of, but it tends to break Windows in rather bad ways.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

52 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

You can hide it and pretend it never exist

WDYM hide it?
the thing is this computer will be for use on public, I don't want people messing around with the settings.
cause you can just press start icon and type for example settings or control panel.
ofc I've already disable some but not all.

25 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Sort of, but it tends to break Windows in rather bad ways.

tell me how? its still on testing phase anyways.

2 minutes ago, Shinon214 said:

the thing is this computer will be for use on public, I don't want people messing around with the settings.

ohh, then not that i know of

maybe a non-admin account that prevents them from changing settings? not sure if thats a thing

if it's meant for many users, you can also consider loading a copy of a fresh image for them to use each time they login, and wipe their image everytime they logout, no permanent changes can be made

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

ohh, then not that i know of

maybe a non-admin account that prevents them from changing settings? not sure if thats a thing

if it's meant for many users, you can also consider loading a copy of a fresh image for them to use each time they login, and wipe their image everytime they logout, no permanent changes can be made

if I do that, there are some apps and games that suddenly doesn't work properly or won't run at all for some reason...

you mean use something like deepfreeze and other stuff yeah that's viable to, people won't be able to save their game progress, and patching online games will be a hassle, since I need to turn it off and patch then turn it back on.

browser can only save downloaded stuffs from the web on customer's plugged in USB storage device, disable running any executable and scripts directly from browser.

the only directory they can go is when they plug-in their USB storage and such, I also disabled running any .exe .vbs .bat and any other executable on any usb.

I tried KIOS mode but, its only for 1 application.

"type to search" in the windows start menu is one of holes I want to cover. I've already disabled control panel, settings and such. seems I can't find it on group policy.

9 hours ago, Shinon214 said:

tell me how?

Google "Kill off Cortana" as doing that will also kill off the search functionality, but many things will break as well, as Cortana is built-in to the OS and ripping it out will break windows.

You *might* be able to use the LTSC version of Win10 and then use GPO to kill it, but I"m not certain

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Google "Kill off Cortana" as doing that will also kill off the search functionality, but many things will break as well, as Cortana is built-in to the OS and ripping it out will break windows.

You *might* be able to use the LTSC version of Win10 and then use GPO to kill it, but I"m not certain

I'm actually using windows 10 enterprise LTSC 1809, I'm either blind of the toggle isn't there.
you mean these right?
https://superuser.com/questions/949569/can-i-completely-disable-cortana-on-windows-10

53 minutes ago, Shinon214 said:

I'm actually using windows 10 enterprise LTSC 1809, I'm either blind of the toggle isn't there.
you mean these right?
https://superuser.com/questions/949569/can-i-completely-disable-cortana-on-windows-10

Yes, killing Cortana permanently is problematic. But it can be done if you are willing to live with the consequences.

On 9/20/2020 at 11:18 PM, Radium_Angel said:

Yes, killing Cortana permanently is problematic. But it can be done if you are willing to live with the consequences.

found a better one from Camlen92
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/23b95a85-68b4-47f6-8a06-661b3326da3c/disable-all-search-in-windows-10-using-local-policy?forum=win10itprogeneral

since I just want to disable windows search to a specific user.

there's also somewhere with script GPEDIT, i forgot where i found it, was looking on my phone.