Be Wary Of eBay Scams For Used Cards

nick name

I've been browsing the used market and stumbled across some sold listings that lead me to believe there might be a new trend to how scammers are trying to steal from people.  

Previously scammers would price their scam listings low enough to make folks decide it was worth the risk to buy and you could recognize the scam because they would list multiple (sometimes many multiples) cards for sale.  On top of the enticing, too good to be true price they'd use a hijacked account with an established seller rating.  Then that listing would stay up as long as it took eBay to figure it out.  

However with people panic selling now a scammer can set a higher price that looks much more feasible and believable.  And now they may not even need to use a hijacked account as their pricing is within the new realm of reason due to the panic selling.  

Now back to my recent browsing -- if you keep an eye out for the pictures used in the listing you'll have a better chance at spotting the scam.  If you find a listing that seems better priced than it should then look at the Sold items and try to find the same picture.  I'm seeing a bunch of recently sold items that use the same picture, but it isn't a picture that shows multiple cards.  It's the same picture of one card, but for different sold listings.  

I'm not sure if this is an actual problem or just some weird eBay glitch with the listings, but I figured it was worth typing out a warning for those shopping in the used market with the new launch.  

Give it a look if you wanna see what made me think of this.  

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=2080+ti&_sacat=0&LH_BIN=1&_sop=15&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

I should also say this is an assumption on my part.  So this might be me being too cynical as I haven't analyzed all the sold listings.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

19 minutes ago, James Evens said:

@nick name If you have some time maybe write a longer guide on how to do a quick/basic check for authenticity.

Ebay is in my opinion relatively safe when following basic rules to avoid scams. Forum and craigslist are a bit more difficult.

Well with the use of hijacked eBay accounts it isn't simply a look at the price and a consideration of whether or not that price is too good to be true.  And those listings survive because sometimes people do just sell at very low prices.  Sometimes reputable sellers just have really good deals.  I've snagged some.  But things to look out for are:

- Is it a too good to be true price?  And usually that's enough, but it seems that panic sellers moved that price higher and within "reason".  

- Is it Buy It Now

- If you've started the purchase -- is the associated PayPal account also in the same country as the listing is.  ie Seller in US and PayPal account not.

- More than one item for sale and there are already several "sold" items.  ie Quantity Available

- Mining makes the belief that a seller has many multiples of the same card believable so make sure they show their rig or a picture of all the cards they're selling in one picture.  And try to verify that picture is original.  Some sellers put their name on paper to display in the picture.  Try to verify no duplicates of the picture exists.  

- Pictures.  Is it a picture you've seen?  Or one that doesn't match up with the description?  Or is it a stock photo?  Google picture search used to be good for this, but not anymore.

- If you have the patience . . . how do your questions to the seller go?  Most folks trying to get a steal of a deal won't message a seller, but if you do look for the Nigerian prince disparities.  Problems with grammar and great promises that reward faith in the listing.  

There are probably more, but I can't think of them now. If you have any further clues that a listing is questionable then please add them.