Clicky Switches vs Linears

Harit Paurana

Hey um, I wanted to buy a keyboard for esports as well as typing... The thing is, I decided upon the Corsair k95 rgb platinum xt or the Logitech g915 with blue switches (I'm that guy who LOVES the sound of blues.) The thing is, I'm not sure if blues are ideal for esports, or if speed silvers or omnipoints are good for typing. I'm kinda in an ethical dilemma... Should I go blues with the k95/g915 or should I go speed silver/omnipoint with Apex Pro? If yes, then which keyboard? Will the low profile affect my gaming performance?

Long travel maybe feels better but short travel definitely helps with games (no matter how small it is).

Click is just a sound, it alone doesnt affect anything but noise.

Tactile gives you a bump (so the rebound pressure suddenly reduces a lot in the.middle of the stroke, letting your finger sink down quickly) while linears do not. I dont feel affected in speed but some say it does, however they do feel very different and when typing on linear, those who dont press keys all the way down all the time may suffer from keys not registering (i.e. didnt press deep enough)

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

3 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Long travel maybe feels better but short travel definitely helps with games (no matter how small it is).

Click is just a sound, it alone doesnt affect anything but noise.

Tactile gives you a bump (so the rebound pressure suddenly reduces a lot in the.middle of the stroke, letting your finger sink down quickly) while linears do not. I dont feel affected in speed but some say it does, however they do feel very different and when typing on linear, those who dont press keys all the way down all the time may suffer from keys not registering (i.e. didnt press deep enough)

Alright, but then which do you think should i go for? Blues/mx speeds/Omnipoints? And which keyboard, G915/K95 RGB Platinum XT/Apex Pro?

Click jacket switches have hysteresis which makes spamming keys problematic. If you really want to game with clicky go for click bar instead. 

"Speed" switches are a gimmic. The same or better can be achieved with just a lighter weight spring switch. 

6 hours ago, Harit Paurana said:

Alright, but then which do you think should i go for? Blues/mx speeds/Omnipoints? And which keyboard, G915/K95 RGB Platinum XT/Apex Pro?

Tbh it's a really subjective thing, the best way to tell is to go to a store and tap on everything they have on offer

As for keyboard, they affect looks, RGB and the feel.of the certain switch type, so again you have to test it out yourself

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Personally I prefer to type on my kailh speed copper than on my gateron yellow ... the throw of the speed copper is just perfect for me and that tactile bump is soooo satisfying ... the gateron yellow feels a bit too long throw for my taste.   But that is just me and i couldn't find out without testing them ... so I suggest that you try to test the keyboards before deciding ... I you can't borrow some then I would suggest you get a barebone and buy the one or two switches kit you would like to try and sell the one you don't like afterward. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

On 9/14/2020 at 10:55 AM, Harit Paurana said:

Hey um, I wanted to buy a keyboard for esports as well as typing... The thing is, I decided upon the Corsair k95 rgb platinum xt or the Logitech g915 with blue switches (I'm that guy who LOVES the sound of blues.) The thing is, I'm not sure if blues are ideal for esports, or if speed silvers or omnipoints are good for typing. I'm kinda in an ethical dilemma... Should I go blues with the k95/g915 or should I go speed silver/omnipoint with Apex Pro? If yes, then which keyboard? Will the low profile affect my gaming performance?

On 9/14/2020 at 11:18 AM, Harit Paurana said:

There something you should know about Logitech G915 though, it use a very low profile keycaps which make typing quite dificult. I am using one right now and it took me nearly half a year before I getting used to it (having an almost flat keycaps mean that you will need to adjust a lot of your typing memory), although your milage may varies. Kailh choc also have a very limit selection of aftermarket keycap, if you want to switch to PBT along the line, that's going to be a huge issue.

Also, just a minor nip pick, Kailh Choc doesn't offer blue switches, their clicky option is actually white. 

Clicky ones are actually not that bad for gaming as I thought as they aren't really clicking all that much since you have keys pressed a lot of the time like in racing games or shooters. For typing, it's like I have 100 pigeons in my room hammering corn on a keyboard. You get used to it, but it's hard to just ignore it entirely. Good middle ground are tactice that still give decent feedback on what is happening with the key. Linear ones are imo the worst. They feel the same till very end and they just end up feeling mushy with only feedback being key bottoming out which makes you tapping keys harder subconsciously so they always travel till the feedback point. Maybe some like it, I rather have clicky one in the end since these are the most prevalent type followed by tactile. Linears seem to be the least popular in general.

23 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Clicky ones are actually not that bad for gaming as I thought as they aren't really clicking all that much since you have keys pressed a lot of the time like in racing games or shooters. For typing, it's like I have 100 pigeons in my room hammering corn on a keyboard. You get used to it, but it's hard to just ignore it entirely. Good middle ground are tactice that still give decent feedback on what is happening with the key. Linear ones are imo the worst. They feel the same till very end and they just end up feeling mushy with only feedback being key bottoming out which makes you tapping keys harder subconsciously so they always travel till the feedback point. Maybe some like it, I rather have clicky one in the end since these are the most prevalent type followed by tactile. Linears seem to be the least popular in general.

I have a clicky and linear board and can use both fine. Preferring the clicky ATM mainly because it's a full layout and the linear is a TKL. Overall though you have to get used to linear and you'll get muscle memory of when they actuate, tactile for me is the worst because you don't get the noise of the clicky and the tactility is somewhat worse? Seem to be a compromise between the 2.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

I recently got two identical keyboards with MX browns and reds. The linear reds feel horrible in normal use and the brown didn‘t have enough of a feedback for my taste. Returned both and waiting for a switch tester right now. You will get used to either and if I had to chose between reds and browns I would gobwith browns as getting used to reds would undoubtedly take me way longer. 

On 9/16/2020 at 2:32 PM, ShinRamen said:

I recently got two identical keyboards with MX browns and reds. The linear reds feel horrible in normal use and the brown didn‘t have enough of a feedback for my taste. Returned both and waiting for a switch tester right now. You will get used to either and if I had to chose between reds and browns I would gobwith browns as getting used to reds would undoubtedly take me way longer. 

mx brown barely have any tactile bump ... it's normal that you found them lacking feedback.  

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD